Gamecube component cable

Portables, case replacements, mods etc, all in here!
price0331

Re: Gamecube component cable

Post by price0331 » Sat Dec 29, 2012 3:09 am

Oh sorry, that makes sense. I tend to get too excited about things before its due. Sounds fair to me.
megalomaniac

Post by megalomaniac » Mon Dec 31, 2012 3:09 am

i thought i had posted a pic of this already....
here is the fiber optic audio only board

Attachments
IMG_1017.JPG
(203.04 KiB) Not downloaded yet
emu_kidid wrote: beer is like WD40 for megalomaniac's brain, gets the gears moving
>>> BadAssConsoles.com <<<

Image Image Image
ZeroUnderOne

Post by ZeroUnderOne » Tue Jan 15, 2013 3:00 am

Wow! This is incredible. Count me in for one once available. I recently got a gamecube to play some metroid prime and was hoping to find something like this :)

Cheers!
megalomaniac

Post by megalomaniac » Fri Jan 18, 2013 4:52 am

progress update:

Attachments
picMX.jpg
(203.32 KiB) Not downloaded yet
emu_kidid wrote: beer is like WD40 for megalomaniac's brain, gets the gears moving

Image Image Image
yamaharacer

Post by yamaharacer » Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:27 am

great work mega, realy great work, a company couldnt make it better
Benni

Post by Benni » Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:53 am

HEy, have you boards left WITHOUT MX Chip?
But maybe with a socket installed?
KirovAir

Post by KirovAir » Sat Jan 19, 2013 11:56 am

Very nice job mega! Wow
"The only thing more dangerous than a hardware guru with a code patch is a programmer with a soldering iron."
iggunr

Post by iggunr » Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:09 pm

It keeps getting better and better
mad props mega
Attachments
yess.png
(347.17 KiB) Not downloaded yet
ZeroUnderOne

Post by ZeroUnderOne » Sat Jan 19, 2013 11:34 pm

^^^^^^^
Haahahaha, I know that feeling.

I have a weird question. I know that there are "D-terminal" game cube cables out there too, do they have the same chip as the component cables but are just wired differently?
yamaharacer

Post by yamaharacer » Sun Jan 20, 2013 7:51 am

they are almost the same but have no audio section like this adapter.
ZeroUnderOne

Post by ZeroUnderOne » Sun Jan 20, 2013 10:20 pm

Interesting. I recently found an intec portable monitor and, after seeing all the awesome projects here, I was thinking of putting together my own GC portable :)
I'm not sure if the NEC screen that the intec portable comes with can be wired to accept a YPbPr signal but if it could then that would be sweet.
Diminuendo

Post by Diminuendo » Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:09 am

Urge intec screen will use only interlaced, I garentee you. It would be cheaper to import a pal cube than to get one of these, and easyer in general if you only need interlaced.

There is also the point that if you don't intend to at least use progressive scan, you are taking a adapter from someone who will use it to it's fullest.

Start a new topic if you want more advice on a gamecube portable.
megalomaniac

Post by megalomaniac » Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:50 am

Diminuendo wrote:...you are taking a adapter from someone who will use it to it's fullest.
hmmm....i disagree with that statement...

i know im gonna try to sell these adpaters soon, and i hope to be able to sell all of them...but to also provide an unbiased opinion about these boards:
you want something you can use to the fullest?
i would rather mod an official component cable to add in the audio circuit board only....this would at least allow me to plug in that official cable to ANY dol-001....this would allow me to use a device to its fullest....whereas the all in one board can only be installed and used in one gamecube....

just something to keep in mind to help people prioritize and realize their needs for intended use....
also, since Diminuendo has found a site with a small supply of official component cables....maybe buying that official cable and adding the audio circuit only will be the best option for those who prefer a true plug n play solution

not trying to deter anyone....just offering my thoughts to try to help...

Image Image Image
Diminuendo

Post by Diminuendo » Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:02 am

Please don't get me wrong- what I mean to say is if you want only interlaced component, then getting the digital component cable is a waste if both money and a limited resource when there is a cheaper alternative (a PAL cube) if you adding something that can not be easily achieved like optical audio it's a different story. Also if your screen on a portable is only interlaced it is a whole lot of extra effort hooking it up for no adittional reward.

Also for the digital component cables I have found it's not a site, I'd just link it if it was. It's a friend of a friend sort of deal.
ZeroUnderOne

Post by ZeroUnderOne » Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:48 am

I'm intrigued by the digital component cable deal/site if you'd be willing to share :)
Right now my gamecube is hooked up to my Samsung ToC 240HD with an RF modulator/switch and my old nes rf to coax cable haha :/

I'm exploring the idea of a portable at the moment, I haven't thoroughly examined what the NEC screen is capable of but I'm not interested in the idea of messing with a PAL cube. I'd like to do more research to see what I'd need to start a project like that, I only recently found this site and I'm loving everything I see it on.

To be honest, I mostly use my gamecube for smash bros melee competitions and speedruns for Mario Sunshine/MetroidPrime/Zelda OoT and WW. I got a gameboy player recently so now I have a wider range of games I can try to mess around with. I'm going to be replacing my old dazzle video capture so I can do some HD captures for the PS3 and hopefully GC (I'd love recommendations if anyone has opinions on a good hd capture device/card).

I'm not sure if I'd use it to the fullest but I would absolutely looooove to nab an original component cable and wire mega's audio chip to it, or to nab one of mega's video/audio chips.
megalomaniac

Post by megalomaniac » Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:49 am

look up ashen's build posts and board cutting and wiring diagrams....
that will give you a good clue on what needs to be done...its get really confusing when looking at em for the first new times....
but the more you look at em....and look at a mobo in front of you with the diagrams, it starts to become clear...
he also has lots of info on screens, controllers, batteries....

as for build quality of ashens' portables....good luck trying to surpass....just hope to come close...

as for capture card....maybe extrems can offer some opinions...

Image Image Image
megalomaniac

Post by megalomaniac » Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:17 am

mx boards done....almost...
need to make the ffc connector boards, and the video connector boards next....
total count: 25...i can make 2 or 3 more of these boards later (ran out of parts...oops)
note: a few (maybe 5) of these mx boards will not have a ffc connector for reasons to be revealed shortly....

pay not attention to the one board at the bottom without an mx chip....thats a special board

then i need to get working on the exi-ide and im done....

Attachments
mxpic1.jpg
(304.76 KiB) Not downloaded yet

Image Image Image
Benni

Post by Benni » Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:13 am

He Mega, can you provide 3 Boards WITHOUT MX chip, but with a socket to stick in a mx Chip?
I have 3 MX Chips laying aound here! ;-)
APE992

Post by APE992 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:05 pm

Benni wrote:He Mega, can you provide 3 Boards WITHOUT MX chip, but with a socket to stick in a mx Chip?
Don't suppose you're the one who bought them on AS?
yamaharacer

Post by yamaharacer » Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:25 pm

Benni wrote:He Mega, can you provide 3 Boards WITHOUT MX chip, but with a socket to stick in a mx Chip?
benni, like you see on the pictures, the mx chip doesnt have a socket. its soldered directly to the board.
Benni

Post by Benni » Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:06 pm

This was a question!
If he can solder a socket instead of a mx chip!
ZeroUnderOne

Post by ZeroUnderOne » Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:30 pm

Hmm, is it possible to program a PIC to be the same type of DAC as the B012355? Or is there something fundamentally different about the component chip? I guess the process isn't as easy as using a PIC programmer to dump the B012355 and use that dump on another chip? Sorry if it's a noob programming question.
megalomaniac

Post by megalomaniac » Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:33 pm

your assuming the mx chip is an IC that performs video conversion via software....and also assuming there is software on the chip that can be dumped....

Image Image Image
megalomaniac

Post by megalomaniac » Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:54 pm

no
suggest you look at the diagram posted in the wiki and build a circuit

Image Image Image
pr0ton

Post by pr0ton » Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:17 am

Not everyone did an electrical study in university :). At least first time for me I heard about ICs and FPGAs..

This is all remarkable progress for someone drunk in Texas. I assume every board has to be soldered manually, which must be a hell of a job, together with these tiny connectors. There better be some good equipment available for you. Since you're devoting so much time in it, I'm amazed you're not taking more than material costs in account. Applies to every open coder/engineer around of course.

Oh, and to help you a bit, I tried to get hands on a mx chip. As you said, NEVER in stock. Only one place with 5 chips, with a $10 per piece, thus not very attractive.

Well, at one day I hope I can play in progressive. With a mega WKF adapter, another very creative solution!
DOL-001&DOL-101 <- PAL