Gamecube component cable

Portables, case replacements, mods etc, all in here!
Benni

Re: Gamecube component cable

Post by Benni » Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:11 pm

AH Dammit!

Maybe later we can get an external one too....

I have now 6 or 7 Cubes. Tere is only ONE which has NO DIGITAL OUT!
KodeIn

Post by KodeIn » Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:16 pm

So external or internal Mega3? Pretty hard to choose…
I guess that since I only own ONE gamecube, I'll go for an internal one ;)

I really want to fit a VGA gamecube in a japanese arcade cabinet to play Ikaruga :P !
I'll probably have to mod the gamecube to be able to force VGA output although.

I've found a nice little 5inch lcd display with VGA input, it would be awesome to try it with the gamecube too :geek:
Anticonformity11

Post by Anticonformity11 » Thu Jan 31, 2013 6:51 pm

I have just read through the entire thread and it absolutely is incredible what you have done here Megalomaniac and others who helped. After seeing how much work, money, and time you have put into this project even though there isn't much profit involved, I really appreciate everybody that made this possible. I tried to mod my cube with the digital optical output but I failed completely and fried my audio board on the MB. So, since I bought another DOL-001, I would like to buy an internal Audio Only board from you!

It's really too bad nobody has the ability to reverse engineer the MX chip so that you can make more of the MEGA3s. Anyways, thanks a lot everybody, you really made my day watching the progress of this project. Also, what is your next project Mega?
Diminuendo

Post by Diminuendo » Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:15 am

Anticonformity11 wrote:I have just read through the entire thread... ...I would like to buy an internal Audio Only board from you!
megalomaniac wrote:i have not opened the list yet...it will be first come once the go on sale (after the original sign up list)
I'm kinda getting sick of this being the reason the thread bumps three times a week.
ZeroUnderOne

Post by ZeroUnderOne » Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:39 am

Well to be fair, there is only 1 person on the audio only sign up list up front with 9 open slots. I guess the same applies though maybe? I dunno
Diminuendo

Post by Diminuendo » Fri Feb 01, 2013 1:34 am

actually, that is my mistake probably
megalomaniac

Post by megalomaniac » Fri Feb 01, 2013 1:58 am

updated first post to avoid confusion about the OLD preorder lists...

only one person wanted an audio board during the preorder phase...so only one person is on that list
based on that list i had only soldered 2 audio boards since there appeared to be no interest...
thanks for posting your interests in purchasing an audio board...
i will now solder more of these boards which will go on sale: DATE UNKNOWN
emu_kidid wrote: beer is like WD40 for megalomaniac's brain, gets the gears moving
>>> BadAssConsoles.com <<<

Image Image Image
wii_HD

Post by wii_HD » Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:05 pm

megalomaniac wrote:updated first post to avoid confusion about the OLD preorder lists...

only one person wanted an audio board during the preorder phase...so only one person is on that list
based on that list i had only soldered 2 audio boards since there appeared to be no interest...
I requested both optioned pcbs on page 32.
Playing - Super Mario Sunshine - DariusBurst CS - Hotline Miami 2 - Rpi2 Lakka - X360 BurnOut Paradise City
BenoitRen

Post by BenoitRen » Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:43 pm

KodeIn wrote:I really want to fit a VGA gamecube in a japanese arcade cabinet to play Ikaruga :P !
Why? The Dreamcast version is better and has native VGA output.
I've found a nice little 5inch lcd display with VGA input, it would be awesome to try it with the gamecube too :geek:
You should make sure that the LCD display has a native resolution of 640x480 because otherwise the image will look bad.
Hardware: Wii (PAL)
Hardware configuration: System Menu 4.1E, Priiloader
Swiss boot method: Modified Wii Swiss Booter provided by Extrems
Software medium: Retail discs
Anticonformity11

Post by Anticonformity11 » Sat Feb 02, 2013 6:01 am

megalomaniac wrote:updated first post to avoid confusion about the OLD preorder lists...

Sorry if I seemed like I wanted to pre-order an audio board. I mostly meant that I would be interested in buying one once they go on sale. I already bit the bullet and bought official component cable for the ridicules ebay price. I have no intentions of breaking into/modding it, so I'll leave the MEGA3s and the rare MX chip to the people who don't have the official cable.
megalomaniac

Post by megalomaniac » Sat Feb 02, 2013 6:08 am

Anticonformity11 wrote: Sorry if I seemed like I wanted to pre-order an audio board. I mostly meant that I would be interested in buying one once they go on sale. I already bit the bullet and bought official component cable for the ridicules ebay price. I have no intentions of breaking into/modding it, so I'll leave the MEGA3s and the rare MX chip to the people who don't have the official cable.

no problem...thanks for posting...
at least i know now there is interest in the audio board...
i was not gonna make any more since there seemed to be almost no interest...

as for already having a component cable...i agree with not breaking it open to add an audio circuit...its a bitch to put back together...
besides, why break open the cable when the mobo has the required solder points anyways...it would be a much simpler install just to add the audio circuit internally
emu_kidid wrote: beer is like WD40 for megalomaniac's brain, gets the gears moving

Image Image Image
Anticonformity11

Post by Anticonformity11 » Sun Feb 03, 2013 6:49 am

I saw someone mention earlier in the thread that they were interested in getting a digital coax output from their cube. I attached a file for a schematic I found that outputs digital coax using the TC9231N chip. It looks like it only requires 2 capacitors, 2 resistors, and a RCA input. I'm not completely sure if the inverter is needed because if you invert a signal twice, you'll end up with the original
signal. Hope this helps someone who was interested!
Attachments
COAX.jpg
Found at http://www.kyohritsu.com/CATALOG/SIKIT/MANUAL/skt101doc.pdf
(293.83 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Boxmanx

Post by Boxmanx » Fri Feb 08, 2013 7:13 am

I would like to get in on this if possible, I've been looking for something like this for a LONG time. PM me please to tell me how I can get involved in anyway(Testing, funding, etc..)
Diminuendo

Post by Diminuendo » Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:19 am

megalomaniac wrote: sign up list is currently closed...no more preorders
Boxmanx

Post by Boxmanx » Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:51 am

Welp, clearly I r a good reader
APE992

Post by APE992 » Fri Feb 08, 2013 4:01 pm

If it was up to me I'd buy the entire stock at +5-10% on the original asking price.

Just gotta buy a few houses for Park Place and the game would be mine! Muwahaha.
megalomaniac

Post by megalomaniac » Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:33 pm

i wanted to post this before i forget again....
the pinout for the fiber optic connector is a direct pin match to the PCB..
so you can directly solder the connector to the board or run extension wires and header pins for quick disconnect...
more pics will be posted later of an actual installation...

Attachments
FO.jpg
(72.9 KiB) Not downloaded yet

Image Image Image
megalomaniac

Post by megalomaniac » Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:53 am

...get ready

Image Image Image
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Post by emu_kidid » Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:27 am

Get set...
DragonBoy

Post by DragonBoy » Tue Mar 05, 2013 2:05 pm

Come on! This tension is killing me!!!
megalomaniac

Post by megalomaniac » Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:29 am

Image Image Image
andzlay

Post by andzlay » Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:07 pm

Okay. How is it with the external connecters? Will you get the component cables?
Are these boards planned for external excluded from the list in your "March Madness Mega-sale"?

So if you put me on the list in the first post of this topic, i don't have to signup on the MMMMs list, right?
megalomaniac

Post by megalomaniac » Wed Mar 06, 2013 1:06 pm

i have not received confirmation if the official component cables can be purchased...
the possibility of purchasing an external MEGA3 was dependent on if the official cable could be purchased ...

as of right now, it looks like the only possibility for an external MEGA3 is if it is purchased as "external ready"
meaning the FFC adapter board shown in the pic is not soldered onto the MEGA3...and the buyer can solder their own digital port connector instead or send me their own component cable and i will remove the digital port connector from the official cable and solder it onto the MEGA3.. (better off keeping the official cable and just buying a MEGAudio board)

if purchased as "external ready" and cannot acquire a digital port connector, simply solder the adapter board to the MEGA3 and install as internal mod..keep in mind, for an internal setup, 2 FFC adapter boards are required.
1 on the MEGA3 and 1 on the GC mobo...
or just direct kynar wire the MEGA3 to the bottom pins of the digital port

if any of these methods seem out of soldering/modding abilities, maybe it is best to rethink about purchasing
Attachments
FFC_ADAPTER.jpg
(106.09 KiB) Not downloaded yet

Image Image Image
ZeroUnderOne

Post by ZeroUnderOne » Thu Mar 07, 2013 9:58 am

Does the MEGAudio come with the optical connector? If I'm thinking correctly, all I'll have to do is solder a connection from the appropriate DATA/BCK/LRCK/GND/5V traces of the component chip and it should be good to go?
megalomaniac

Post by megalomaniac » Thu Mar 07, 2013 9:58 pm

the component chip?

if you mean to say you already have a component cable and want to tap into it, i would advise against...
can it be done? yes

but the digital port only provides 3v and 12v...the fiber optic circuit requires 5v
so the easiest way to add audio is to wire internally...
if you really need to have an external audio connection, then you need to add a LM7805 regulator to convert the 12v power to 5v...

also you will have to open the component cable housing and pry open the metal shielding without damaging it...
it can be a little tricky for someone their first time...

Attachments
imagewhy.jpg
(585.39 KiB) Not downloaded yet

Image Image Image