Gamecube component cable

Portables, case replacements, mods etc, all in here!
OzOnE

Re: Gamecube component cable

Post by OzOnE » Sat Dec 14, 2013 9:14 am

Hi, DoctorDan,

The Macronix DAC chips aren't programmable in any way, they are ASICs (Application-Specific IC).
Their function is built right onto the silicon, there's no Flash / EEPROM / ROM or anything to read.

A replacement DAC could be built using a cheap CPLD and an RGB / YPrPb opamp though.

I haven't done anything on this in months, but I still have the code for interfacing to a GC / Wii / N64 DAC.
I was hoping Marshall or somebody would come through with a new DVI / HDMI / VGA board, but I'd love to finish the project too.

If there's anyone handy with PCB layout software, please let me know. ;)
I'm not too bad with Eagle, but I couldn't turn out anything as good as Marshall can with Altium.

Here's a quick vid I did when the N64 was running via HDMI.
It also has an overclocked RCP from 60MHz to around 75MHz (CPU then at 112MHz), which might be a first for the console. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NCbkDgCIKRQ

I just need a good PCB design for a proper HDMI chip, and it could be made to work for the Wii as well (soldering will be a bit of a nightmare without a custom flex cable).

OzOnE.
BitFaced

Post by BitFaced » Thu Jan 23, 2014 11:49 pm

inspectah_deck wrote:
RagingAvatar wrote:Hi guys,

I know I'm very late to the party..
Basically, I want to get digital video out for my Gamecube - how can I get hold of the parts, cables.. whatever, to achieve this?
Wait for this:
http://retroactive.be/tech_n64_hdmi.php

It´s mainly for the N64, but marshallh also added a jumper and the extra signals for the possibility of GC support.
You can follow the project here:
http://forums.benheck.com/viewtopic.php ... 67#p487067
If that supports progressive scan and maybe 1080p upscaling ('cause I think that's what the HDMI N64 is currently capable of) then I'm in.
The former is what we're trying to get around here, right? Our own progressive scan YUV/VGA cable without having to pay for a really expensive official one, right? (If so consider my money yours)
BitFaced

Just to be clear...

Post by BitFaced » Fri Jan 24, 2014 6:48 pm

Since you're all coming up with your own ways to get 480p/576p progressive scan out of the GameCube, I can definitely expect some way to purchase a board for one of these if that's what's being done for some of them, right?
This may seem brutally obvious, but I just don't want to get my hopes up for getting NGC progressive scan that doesn't cost £100.
EDIT: Oh wow, I thought this was the new topic button.
Last edited by BitFaced on Fri Jan 24, 2014 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
megalomaniac

Post by megalomaniac » Fri Jan 24, 2014 7:12 pm

who is "your're all" ??

dont get your hopes up
no one is working on anything
emu_kidid wrote: beer is like WD40 for megalomaniac's brain, gets the gears moving
>>> BadAssConsoles.com <<<

Image Image Image
BitFaced

Post by BitFaced » Fri Jan 24, 2014 7:49 pm

You... All?
So, what's this 45-page topic for then, and the mailing list?
megalomaniac

Post by megalomaniac » Fri Jan 24, 2014 9:21 pm

read all 45 pages...
then you will know
emu_kidid wrote: beer is like WD40 for megalomaniac's brain, gets the gears moving

Image Image Image
BitFaced

Post by BitFaced » Fri Jan 24, 2014 9:31 pm

I assume that includes this (http://forums.benheck.com/viewtopic.php ... 67#p487067) then too, right?
megalomaniac

Post by megalomaniac » Fri Jan 24, 2014 9:38 pm

try reading...
then maybe you wont have to assume anything and figure out the current status of these projects...

Image Image Image
BitFaced

Post by BitFaced » Fri Jan 24, 2014 9:50 pm

megalomaniac wrote:try reading...
then maybe you wont have to assume anything and figure out the current status of these projects...
Well it looks like the N64 adapter is still in the works, and it's unsure whether it's being included with NGC support. I hope something happens! :D
OzOnE

Post by OzOnE » Fri Jan 24, 2014 10:02 pm

Hi, all,

Thanks to the help of a VERY generous gc-forever member, we'll be releasing a new PCB in the next few weeks. :)
(The parts for the two prototypes have just been ordered.)

It's basically an HDMI output board atm, but we'll look at adding analog RGB / Component output as well on the final version.
It also has some other extra features, which I can talk about just yet, but will be of interested to people doing portable mods. ;)

It will work for the Gamecube and N64 at first, but should apply to many other consoles where their digital video signals can be accessed.

Consoles like the Dreamcast / Xbox 1 / Wii will be tricky to hook up to, as their DAC pins are quite close together.
It may be possible to solder to them easier with a custom flex cable though ("modchip" style).

OzOnE.
megalomaniac

Post by megalomaniac » Fri Jan 24, 2014 10:42 pm

...and...that officially closes this thread...
any other information willbe posted in a new thread with details etc from ozone..

Image Image Image