Gamecube jewel with perfect cut for wode display

Portables, case replacements, mods etc, all in here!
sakamoto

Gamecube jewel with perfect cut for wode display

Post by sakamoto » Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:02 pm

I already noticed some very professional looking portable gamecube mods on this forum. The most impressing thing is the fact that these custom built cases always look so damn sweet :shock: :D

Now my question, would it possible to create some custom built nintendo gamecube jewels which have a hole perfectly shaped to fit the wode display? has someone experience with building such things? i assume this will only be cost effective if we can let produce x units. maybe we can do this and sell it with partial profit for GC-Forever? it's so sad that such beautiful wode displays cant be decently integrated in a wode modded gamecube :(

i'm thinking of nice black jewel with perfect cut in the middle for the display and maybe some reference to GC-forever on it?

thanks for sharing your thoughts and ideas! :D
Image DOL-001 EUR Viper GC Extreme | Image DOL-001 EUR Wiikey Fusion or Wode? (soon)
kel01

Re: Gamecube jewel with perfect cut for wode display

Post by kel01 » Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:20 pm

The WODE display would be too big to fit into a jewel without cutting away some of the drive lid aswell.

My advice would be to get yourself a dremel and a few different size files and cut yourself a hole for the display. That is what I did for mine although I put it above the jewel instead which took a bit more work to fit it in.
sakamoto

Post by sakamoto » Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:24 pm

do you have a picture perhaps?
Image DOL-001 EUR Viper GC Extreme | Image DOL-001 EUR Wiikey Fusion or Wode? (soon)
kel01

Post by kel01 » Wed Jan 11, 2012 1:44 pm

Here's a quick picture.

Had to relocate the sd slot and usb connector and also had to wire the power and FFC cable directly to the board. Also had to do alot of cutting to the case and lid but only needed a dremel, a file, steady hand and a bit of patients. although to be honest it would have been a lot easier to ditch the DVD drive and cut a hole in the lid where the jewel goes but if you have a lot of patients then I personally think it looks better like this and if I can manage to get the DVD drive working with the WODE then it will be worth the hassle.
DSCI0197.JPG
WODE Cube
(2.47 MiB) Not downloaded yet
sakamoto

Post by sakamoto » Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:35 pm

looks well done :) i have a dremel 300 myself... what bit do you use to obtain such clean cuts? i am very bad with my dremel but i think i am using the wrong bits

megalomaniac

Post by megalomaniac » Fri Jan 13, 2012 12:17 am

its the sanding that cleans the cuts
use 400grit wetsand
emu_kidid wrote: beer is like WD40 for megalomaniac's brain, gets the gears moving
>>> BadAssConsoles.com <<<

Image Image Image
liquitt

Post by liquitt » Fri Jan 13, 2012 8:13 am

also, read a bit on google about plastic vs. dremel :)
please search before you ask - a lot has been discussed already!
(or use google with "site:gc-forever.com *term*")
http://is.gd/MDmZcr

we also have a wiki filled with knowledge
http://is.gd/dX58Rm
kel01

Post by kel01 » Fri Jan 13, 2012 4:52 pm

I bought the dremel 200 and just used the 2 cutting wheels that came with it. The cutting wheels were number 426 but most of the cutting wheels for the dremel would work just as well, the smaller diameter the better though as the hole for the screen isn't very large.

Make sure you cut 1mm or 2mm inside the hole though and then file the rest as the the cutting wheel melts the plasic. Also cut with the dremel sparingly as it is better to undercut and have more filing to do than to overcut and make a mistake.