My Gamecube handheld

Portables, case replacements, mods etc, all in here!
mida84

My Gamecube handheld

Post by mida84 » Fri Jan 27, 2012 9:33 am

Hey everyone here's my first attempt at a gamecube handheld.
Features include: Four controller ports, auto boot wiikey fusion (no button press needed), video out via standard av cables, full analogue triggers, sd gecko in slot b, in built memory card and all the other usual features.
I'm pretty happy with the outcome despite a few flaws in the case. Thanks to everyone who contributes to the gamecube scene. Sorry about the poor quality pics and video it was taken on my phone as that's all I have. Hope ya like :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYaHQLiMV7I

liquitt

Re: My Gamecube handheld

Post by liquitt » Fri Jan 27, 2012 10:10 am

nice, really like!

but i had to switch of the sound in the video because it sounds like somebody's pissing in the background :D
please search before you ask - a lot has been discussed already!
(or use google with "site:gc-forever.com *term*")
http://is.gd/MDmZcr

we also have a wiki filled with knowledge
http://is.gd/dX58Rm
kel01

Post by kel01 » Fri Jan 27, 2012 2:22 pm

Nice job.

I like how it can also be used as a regular Gamecube connected to the TV.

I also like how the shape from the side view looks very close to the shape of a Gamecube controller.
Ashen

Post by Ashen » Fri Jan 27, 2012 4:12 pm

That looks really awesome man! Those contours on the back of the case look very comfy to hold.

If I may ask, how in the heck did you manage to make the Wiikey autoboot? Timer and a relay maybe?
HomelandReloaded

Post by HomelandReloaded » Fri Jan 27, 2012 7:11 pm

It has an authentic, retro look to it that I like (rather like the earliest handhelds from the 90's). I'm impressed by all the ports; one of the first things I look for in a console. The shape of the sides makes me wonder about the feasibility of cutting a standard controller in half and then somehow building the left and right halves into the case. That would give it the true GameCube feel for some serious gaming.

The TV picture is very sharp for AV - is it an NTSC console using S-Video, or is it PAL RGB?
Tchoin

Post by Tchoin » Fri Jan 27, 2012 7:45 pm

Nice job!

Looks very comfy :D

Can you give us more details on it?
Mack702

Post by Mack702 » Sat Jan 28, 2012 1:53 am

Man that's amazing! I wish I had the skills to do stuff like this ;)
mida84

Post by mida84 » Sat Jan 28, 2012 10:27 am

Hey thanks for all the positive responses. Thought I should reply and let you all know a bit more about it. The case does consist of half an gamecube control molded into the back. It's a pal cube with standard av out (Yellow,Red,White) and the picture on the tv looks clear solely due to the tv as that tv seems to make everything look nice (it's a new lg 3d). It doesn't have batteries as I was building it on a budget. Wii classic control analogues and buttons (except triggers). And that's a loud fish tank in the back ground of the video. :)
Now I was hoping to avoid the subject of the auto boot wiikey as it's a bit of a mystery to me how it happened. :? I'll explain how it came to be and hopefully it will be of some help. While building I had troubles with the momentary tact switch which runs pin 29 to ground. It would function alright for a few runs and then stop so I checked all the usual suspects and couldn't find a reason. The ground was being run to the ground point at the original power connector area of the motherboard at the point next to the 12v point. So eventually I concluded the ground point at this spot must be bad and removed it while the system was running (bad I know). As I removed it the wire flicked and for a very very short time contacted 12v. I spotted an arc go over the wiikey and thought all was going to be lost. Powered off and on again and the wiikey ran fine without pin 29 connected at all. So my configuration of the wiikey is pin 29 not connected at all and and all the other grounds from the wiikey running to ground point at which the video ground is also connected. All other connections have been checked and are normal. Can't recommend this to anyone but if ya have a spare wiikey your willing to fry you could try it :lol: . Sorry Ashen I wish i could have given ya a legit method but there ya have it.
megalomaniac

Post by megalomaniac » Sat Jan 28, 2012 10:40 am

Hahaha "an arc"
Nice!!!

I wonder if when you shorted GND to 12v if you fried something on the wiikey and may have discovered something there.
Good job
emu_kidid wrote: beer is like WD40 for megalomaniac's brain, gets the gears moving
>>> BadAssConsoles.com <<<

Image Image Image
Ashen

Post by Ashen » Sat Jan 28, 2012 3:21 pm

Wow, hahaha. That is quite the awesome mishap you had. I will have to try it. :D :D
lunaris

Post by lunaris » Tue Jan 31, 2012 6:22 am

Ashen wrote:Wow, hahaha. That is quite the awesome mishap you had. I will have to try it. :D :D

good luck.

That contouring is soooo nice :)
doodisntbot

Post by doodisntbot » Wed Oct 30, 2013 5:22 am

wuw dood! do you willin to sold it to me please?
:)dood