Multiple Displays (An Internal And External) For A Portable

Portables, case replacements, mods etc, all in here!
darksky72

Multiple Displays (An Internal And External) For A Portable

Post by darksky72 » Mon Jan 30, 2012 2:13 am

I really want the GC portable I'm working on to output to its own display as well as being capable of external output. If I use the RGB connections for the internal screen and the composite for the external, will it be capable of displaying to both at the same time?
Ashen

Re: Multiple Displays (An Internal And External) For A Porta

Post by Ashen » Mon Jan 30, 2012 3:15 am

Not 100% sure. But I think its safe to say yes. The only time composite or rgb are but off that I'm aware of is when the display is 480p. Because component and rgb display interlaced and are not capable of progressive scan.
infact

Post by infact » Mon Jan 30, 2012 12:57 pm

Should be possible, this kind of cable does the same.

infact
Image Image
darksky72

Post by darksky72 » Mon Jan 30, 2012 8:03 pm

Ashen wrote:The only time composite or rgb are but off that I'm aware of is when the display is 480p. Because component and rgb display interlaced and are not capable of progressive scan.
I didn't quite understand that, would you mind clarifying/rewording it? Are you saying composite and RGB don't work with 480p displays?

I'm planning on using a NTSC PSOne screen and wiring it up to the RGB, while keeping the composite available to external displays. I'll probably retain a switch so that you can shut off the internal screen if you don't want it, but it really would be nice if it were capable of doing both at once or at least switching easily.

Also, how should I go about making sure the sound is available to both? And is there perhaps a good guide or diagram on what to do the video/sound wiring that I could make use of?
Ashen

Post by Ashen » Mon Jan 30, 2012 9:02 pm

You should be fine with what you describe. Just ignore me, sometimes I get a bit too technical in my explanations.
darksky72

Post by darksky72 » Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:15 pm

Not at all! If you have any suggestions for how to achieve better quality, please tell :)
megalomaniac

Post by megalomaniac » Wed Feb 01, 2012 3:57 am

The audio signal should be able to be fed to multiple sources at the same time with no issues, ie, from the board to internal amp/ speaker and headphone jack for external output. The design would be more complicated to create an auto switching audio circuit but you can keep it simple by adding a manual on/off switch to kill the internal audio.
emu_kidid wrote: beer is like WD40 for megalomaniac's brain, gets the gears moving
>>> BadAssConsoles.com <<<

Image Image Image