Plug and play drive replacement adapter Idea

Portables, case replacements, mods etc, all in here!

Which connector strategy is preferred?

Drop in plug-n-play, may take a very long time to come up with something
55%
DVD Port substitute, requires soldering modification
16%
I dont care as long as i dont have to make my own FPC cable mod
29%

Total votes: 98
megalomaniac

Re: Plug and play drive replacement adapter Idea

Post by megalomaniac » Mon Dec 02, 2013 3:40 am

Benni wrote:UUHH!
NICE!
Price?
i dont know yet...
this is just a beta, ill have to calculate everything when i finish my other projects..
im not even thinking about a prices yet...
keropi wrote:amazing once again!!! kudos
if you think thats amazing, just wait till you see whats coming up next
hailrazer wrote:Beautiful. Nice job !!
thanks, but thats just the start
ill have to post up some more info soon about this design and the other designs once completed

Ashen wrote:Holy Sheetballs thats sexy. Where did you find a source of drive connectors at? or are you salvaging them? I've got around 10-15 here if you want them.
i am using the plugs removed from dvd drives, but i can still make the drives usable even without the plug...
...and still make everything plug n play...
well...maybe, ill have to confirm that once i complete the next phase...

if i can accomplish this next phase, then it definitely will be something special
emu_kidid wrote: beer is like WD40 for megalomaniac's brain, gets the gears moving
>>> BadAssConsoles.com <<<

Image Image Image
keropi

Post by keropi » Mon Dec 02, 2013 2:52 pm

Diminuendo

Post by Diminuendo » Tue Dec 03, 2013 2:03 am

if you have any extra or your PCB DVD drive connectors when you get these new guys I'll be interested, I'd love to get my hands on 5 or so
Benni

Post by Benni » Tue Dec 03, 2013 9:02 am

[quote="megalomaniac]
if you think thats amazing, just wait till you see whats coming up next

[/quote]

UHHH
What comes next?
liquitt

Post by liquitt » Fri Dec 06, 2013 9:00 am

you really did it - finally.
what and awesome piece of work!!
please search before you ask - a lot has been discussed already!
(or use google with "site:gc-forever.com *term*")
http://is.gd/MDmZcr

we also have a wiki filled with knowledge
http://is.gd/dX58Rm
megalomaniac

Post by megalomaniac » Thu Jan 30, 2014 7:21 am

wow, almost 2 months since i last posted in this topic...
time for an update:

PART 1

It looks like I will send the new designs for BETA production maybe by end of next week...
The designs are completed but i want to sit and think about them a little bit more just to ensure ive done everything i can to provide the best solutions possible. I imagine it will take about 2 weeks before they arrive, then another couple of weeks to perform testing and confirm the BETAS are fully functional. Afterwards, i can submit the design for full production.

I learned a lot from the original MEGAdrive design. What i learned is the design was both a success and a failure. The success was the functionality of the design to perform exactly as intended. The failure was in my over-estimation of the simplicity of installation. While most users were very successful with installation, a small portion were not so successful. This caused me to form the opinion that it was an unacceptable design since the goal of the MEGAdrive project has always been to incorporate a universally friendly approach for users of all skill levels to connect a drive replacement modchip with the ability to retain the full functionality of the DVD drive. Due to some feedback users faced with soldering the original MEGAdrive to the mainboard, this inspired the need for a true plug-n-play solution as well as a cautious approach to the design of future MEGAdrive releases.

v2 update
the previously posted pic of MEGAdrive v2 is now outdated.
v2 will be "replaced" with a redesigned and improved version( v3 ) not for reasons of functionality, it has been working perfect in my test setup for a few months. I just decided to take a different approach (a cautious approach) to the design. The new v3 will still offer the same plug n play connectivity as shown with v2 and is not intended for use in a system with a GC DVD drive because the drive will not fit due to the increased height from the MEGAdrive PCB.

The story of v4
Aug 27 2013, the initial concept was conceived for how to approach the next generation MEGAdrive ( now known as v4 ). This version was actually in development months before v2. Thru all the design changes and different approaches during the v4 development, a few of the previously scrapped ideas lead to the creation of v2 and then the improved v3.

...to be continued...
i just now thought of another idea
emu_kidid wrote: beer is like WD40 for megalomaniac's brain, gets the gears moving

Image Image Image
dawg1

Post by dawg1 » Thu Jan 30, 2014 9:11 am

Really *REALLY* looking forward to this.

My Soldering skills are average to low, so I have been looking for a solution like this FOREVER!
public-pervert

Post by public-pervert » Thu Jan 30, 2014 12:23 pm

As I've pointed to RDC some time ago, I was going to develop a QSB (quick solder board) in form of a kind of flex cable, for the WKF.
But since I'll have no time to modding for a while, I decide to share the idea.
It's basically a flex cable that matches the pins of the DD filters on the GC board so you can solder it quickly, and then you can connect it directly on the WKF, plus some pads for power, ground and etc..
The idea is make a kind of MEGADRIVE for cutted boards, so it can be used to make portables.
Since I consider my english so bad, I've made a picture to show the concept:

Let me know what you think.
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Post by emu_kidid » Thu Jan 30, 2014 12:31 pm

hehehehe... very interesting :P
Diminuendo

Post by Diminuendo » Thu Jan 30, 2014 12:53 pm

EDIT: posted in the wrong thread accidentaly
Last edited by Diminuendo on Fri Jan 31, 2014 12:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
megalomaniac

Post by megalomaniac » Thu Jan 30, 2014 4:12 pm

@public-pervert
Thanks for sharing your idea...
Already designed two QSB options for portables which will be discussed when I continue the story above

Image Image Image
liquitt

Post by liquitt » Fri Jan 31, 2014 11:37 am

go v4, GO! :)
please search before you ask - a lot has been discussed already!
(or use google with "site:gc-forever.com *term*")
http://is.gd/MDmZcr

we also have a wiki filled with knowledge
http://is.gd/dX58Rm
megalomaniac

Post by megalomaniac » Sat Feb 01, 2014 5:51 am

PART 2

The story of v4
Aug 27 2013, the initial concept was conceived for how to approach the next generation MEGAdrive ( now known as v4 ). This version was actually in development months before v2. Thru all the design changes and different approaches during the v4 development, a few of the previously scrapped ideas lead to the creation of v2 and then the improved v3.

v4 is by far the most complexed design I have created for the MEGAdrive project. The complexity of this design presented two issues:
1. finding a user friendly method of installation...
2. making a user friendly plug n play design that will actually fit within the limited space available...

There must have been over 20 design revisions during this development with most of the revisions requiring a complete start over from the beginning. I found myself continuously unsatisfied with the end results. It appeared as if the closer i came to achieving a great fit, the harder the installation became. The greatest challenge during this development was to maintain a user friendly design. What is known and has been a constant goal was to position the modchip between the drivecage and the drive board like this:

The advantage to this design is access to the mainboard would not be any different for how we typically access the mainboard during routine cleaning or inspection of the mainboard, fan, vents, etc etc. About 20 screws are removed from the drivecage. Then the drivecage + dvd drive are lifted off as one piece. This means the modchip will also be removed easily without having to touch it at all, thus minimizing and potential risk of damage . The modded drive could also be swapped into any other mainboard. This would allow a user friendly design since access to the driveboard itself is a very very rare occurrence. Other than adjusting the laser pot, what other reason is there to access the dvd driveboard? With this design in mind, progress moved forward to discover and create the solution.

It all started out from an idea presented by emu_kidid. His idea was to remove the drive connector from the dvd drive board. That connector would be soldered onto a PCB with an FFC connector for direct connection to the HOST side of the modchip and a second FFC connector audiostreaming data.

The drive board would have second PCB with an FFC connector for direct connection to the DVD side of the modchip and a second FFC connector for audio streaming as show in this beta development pic

While emu_kidid's idea was great, it turns out there were physical limitations which would prevent this design from moving forward due to the increased height the DVD drive would have to be lifted from the "drive cage." Using washers, the drive can be lifted maximum of about 1mm (if i remember correctly). Lifting the drive any higher would present issues screwing on the top half of the GC case back on normally. The FFC connectors would be the sole components defeating this design. To put this in perspective here is a crappy drawing:

Due to these clearance issues, this design direction was scrapped but the initial input alone from emu_kidid implanted in my mind a plethora of possibilities and directions to investigate. The initial design attempt created a great foundation of understanding for identifying the limitations of designing an acceptable solution. Since the FFC connectors could not be used with this design, the need to bypass the connectors was required. While looking at the GC controller board, it has an FFC cable directly soldered onto it. Why not create a design similar which would bypass the FFC connector? That direction could be possible but it would also require soldering 5v to the driveboard since the modchip is only capable of passing 3v. I wanted to eliminate the need for soldering as much as possible for anyone who purchased this design. I've come to understand soldering is an evil word and some people will simply turn away and wait for something that requires no soldering. SDML comes to mind. People who are typically nervous about turning a screwdriver, opening a GC, and performing soldering lean toward SDML as an acceptable solution since there is no potential for damage. While i have heard SDML is great, it does come with some limitations. Later on i will discuss a potential MEGAdrive vs SDML challenge.

...to be continued...
Attachments
d83cd8b65d64b21199ccb29c51ea94d9.jpeg
(7.67 KiB) Not downloaded yet
751fdb180c4ab6489459aa7b724c7b9c.jpeg
(58.8 KiB) Not downloaded yet
d83cd8b65d64b21199ccb29c51ea94c9.jpeg
(18.45 KiB) Not downloaded yet

Image Image Image
badsector

Post by badsector » Sun Feb 16, 2014 5:57 pm

I finally installed a MegaDrive and it worked instantly. Everything works fine, even autoboot (with my SanDisk 16GB card, not with my SanDisk 32GB card) and all games load up like they should.
But I can not get my disc drive to work. I soldered the audio fix cable, the 5v cable and bridged the lid pads on the MegaDrive, but it never even starts spinning up. I tried with a WiiKey Fusion, with a WASP Fusion and even with connecting the disc drive directly to the MegaDrive. Nothing works. With none of my drives (I tested with 3 different disc drives). Any ideas what I could have done wrong?
megalomaniac

Post by megalomaniac » Sun Feb 16, 2014 7:04 pm

Don't take this the wrong way: I'm glad that you are having these exact kind of issues.

This sounds like a perfect opportunity to try something...
Ill send you a PM

Image Image Image
megalomaniac

Post by megalomaniac » Tue Feb 18, 2014 7:20 am

PART 3

The story of v4

Oct 7 2013, I reviewed all the previous designs and investigations to conclude there was only one directional possibility that could make this MEGAdrive version a success, a flexible PCB. This would allow for the most clearance to fit while also allowing for a creative solution where normal PCBs would have limitations.

I started preparing by brainstorming connectivity of data, power, gnd, audiostreaming, and pin29 while also having a dvd drive plug. It seemed more and more there was no choice but to include a requirement for a minimal amount of soldering. I had to weigh these options because no option thus far seemed to absolutly be solder free. How would this flexible design be any different? Over the next few months I approached the design with all these variables hoping to find solutions as I went along in the process. The design was created and modified many times while struggling just to find something "acceptable." Some thing acceptable...as in something good enough. I had already spend months with other design directions and I was ready to settle for anything acceptable.

What was I missing? Why did every design seem to not be practical? Where and how can everything fit properly? The answer was discovered after taking a break to drink lots of beer. Good ol' ale, how did I neglect you during these trying times?
Since I am working with a flexible PCB, the solution was simple: treat a 2 layer flexible design like a 4 layer design? With everything set in motion, all previous flexible designs were scrapped and this new idea was started. This time every single requirement was successful placed within the new design. Due to the new design the entire scope of the installation also greatly changed due to its complexity. The assembly of the design is easily beyond the abilities of the average modder and possibly very challenging for highly advanced modders. This will not stop anyone from enjoying this version because all soldering will be performed in advance to still allow a simple plug n play solution.

The design was completed but not yet 100% acceptable compared to my initial vision. Subtle changes were performed and slight improvements. The one major concern i had was due to the fact that it was a flexible PCB. My concern was due to possible accidental damage from its delicate nature. Then i received my mystery package from liquitt. Within that package was a GBA begging for a backlit screen replacement. The modification for the screen requires a flexible PCB and many people of various skill levels have performed this installation without major issues and the flexible PCB has also held up to "some abuse." Had liquitt not sent the GBA in the mystery package, I might still be contemplating the practical use of my flexible design. Thank You liquitt.

After a few more subtle design changes, even up until last night, this project has been under constant development for 6 months. I have now completed this project and feel 100% positive about this design, its ability to have full functionality for WKF/WASP + a DVD drive, and its easy of installation for the end user (fully assembled by me).
V4 is ready to send off for fabrication.

The story of v5 and v6
Sometime in January 2013, Diminuendo approached me with a special request to make a custom MEGAdrive PCB for use in his portable GameCube.

...to be continued...

Image Image Image
Diminuendo

Post by Diminuendo » Tue Feb 18, 2014 8:16 am

oh, god, the story of how I fucked it up...
megalomaniac

Post by megalomaniac » Sat Mar 08, 2014 6:05 am

PART 4

The story of v5 and v6
Sometime in January 2013, Diminuendo approached me with a special request to make a custom MEGAdrive PCB for use in his portable GameCube. His only requirement was for the design to solder onto the mainboard from the bottom, unlike the MEGAdrive V1 which solders on top of the mainboard. The request was simple enough. Make a version which directly connects to the bottom side of the DVD drive port. During the planning and thought process of designing it occurred to me to also investigate a version which would connect directly to the DVD filters. With the limited time I had available to focus on the project for Diminuendo, I decided to make a simple DVD connector bottom mount which would also be the easiest method of connectivity. So I created a bottom mount MEGAdrive and shipped it off to Diminuendo and left the idea of a DVD filter connection for a later time when I could dedicate more time to the design. I think it was a 3am idea to even consider the DVD filters. Even more reason to hold off on it till I had had more time to investigate.

The DVD connector bottom mount design was suppose to be unveiled and featured in a build Diminuendo was working on but that never happened. WHY? Diminuendo destroyed the board. Yea, all that hard work down the drain. He killed the design because he used a type of wire that had some kind of coating which would not allow the solder to set onto. The only known prototype in existance was ruined. Here is the only known photo of the prototype board sent to Diminuendo before its ill fated destruction.

The idea of releasing a portable version of MEGAdrive was put on hold because if someone as skilled as Diminuendo could destroy the board, maybe it was best to forget about releasing this version to avoid the potential from others having similar experiences. Yet, one problem that continued to plague me is the thought of how many people try to make a portable and fail in their progress due to the complexities involved in connecting a WKF/WASP. It is difficult enough to connect a WKF/WASP to the GC and even worse to troubleshoot any issues that arise. These continued issues were my main concern in offering a solution which would minimize the need to troubleshoot and possibly allow for a problem free method of connectivity.

Generic FFC breakboards are a great solution for connectivity of the FFC cable, but they still require proper wiring. As shown in numerous build threads, the wiring itself can be confusing and sometimes disasterous. Even wiring directly to the modchip itself shows mixed results as the modchip might seem to work for some titles and fails with other titles, all the while being directly related to improper connectivity. With a MEGAdrive designed specifically for portable use, I have eliminated the need for concern of proper wiring. Simply solder as indicated and connect an FFC cable. Your only concern has now been minimized to ensuring you have proper solder joints.

MEGAdrive for portables will be available in two versions. A bottom mount version which conneccts to the DVD connector port suitable for most board cuts and another version which connects to the filters suitable for an OMGWTF board cut. The failue of Diminuendo's attempt was not in vain. It also allow me to consider how i could improve the design by upgrading the materials and pad finish. Nothing but the best offered will be used. I demand high quality. These projects are a reflection of my hard work and I want to enure nothing but the best is available for all to use.

Conclusion
As of this post, all designs have been completed and are in process of being sent off for production.
Once i receive the boards, I will be able to commence assembly and distribution of sales....
Attachments
57ddb6099eca142289def212940b8dd8.jpg
assassinated by Diminuendo
(13.83 KiB) Not downloaded yet

Image Image Image
iamdablasta

Post by iamdablasta » Sat Mar 08, 2014 7:42 pm

megalomaniac wrote: As of this post, all designs have been completed and are in process of being sent off for production.
Once i receive the boards, I will be able to commence assembly and distribution of sales....
THIS is why I check this forum everyday! :)
(and everywhere ozone is to be one of those ordering the hdmi mod first batch).

Also, props to diminuendo for breaking it. You'll laugh at it in a few years don't worry ;)
the game
novenary

Post by novenary » Sat Mar 08, 2014 7:48 pm

Well it sounds cool. I don't know yet how v4 will work but if you have the soldering skills then v1 or even v5/6 + isolating the drive connector from the mainboard seems like the better way.
megalomaniac

Post by megalomaniac » Sat Mar 08, 2014 10:41 pm

keep in mind, due to design and functionality, v5 and v6 are not plug-n-play..
these versions are intended for use without the DVD drive and / or require modification to the GC mainboard including removal of the original DVD drive connector.
For these reasons, both of these versions are more suitable for use with a portable build or a highly modified home console...

pics will be posted soon of all the different versions...

Image Image Image
iamdablasta

Post by iamdablasta » Sat Mar 08, 2014 10:51 pm

megalomaniac wrote:keep in mind, due to design and functionality, v5 and v6 are not plug-n-play..
these versions are intended for use without the DVD drive and / or require modification to the GC mainboard including removal of the original DVD drive connector.
For these reasons, both of these versions are more suitable for use with a portable build or a highly modified home console...

But I don't mind that, I know how to solder ;)
How to connect it I don't mind, what works best for you is fine by me. End result is greater with soldering anyways as it is more likely to take less space.
the game
novenary

Post by novenary » Sat Mar 08, 2014 11:22 pm

megalomaniac wrote:keep in mind, due to design and functionality, v5 and v6 are not plug-n-play..

Hmm yeah I kinda forgot that both these design are supposed to be under the board which poses problems with the ffc cable.
novenary

Post by novenary » Tue Mar 18, 2014 10:52 pm

Are the Gerber files for v1 available please ? It would be nice.
djkorben

Post by djkorben » Sun Mar 30, 2014 5:13 am

Any word on an ETA for these yet?

I've got tax return money just burning a hole in my pocket haha