Anybody know this cable? Is it worth the money?

Portables, case replacements, mods etc, all in here!
WoodyWoodpecker

Anybody know this cable? Is it worth the money?

Post by WoodyWoodpecker » Mon Mar 26, 2012 3:56 pm

Just found one of these http://www.wolfsoft.de/shop/product_inf ... ,pal).html on ebay and just wanted to ask if it warrants the hefty price tag (on Wolfsoft it costs about 100€). How would this cable compare to the VGA-cable / official RGB-cable? The Site says it's the "nonplusultra in image quality" and offers "20% better image quality" compared to the standard (the official one, I guess) RGB-cable.
pr0ton

Re: Anybody know this cable? Is it worth the money?

Post by pr0ton » Mon Mar 26, 2012 4:13 pm

100 euro for some rubber and metal, that makes good money :D. As long if the material used for the leads isn't ultra- thin or high resistance, there will be no noticable difference I think. Preferably the cable is shielded, but apart from that..
DOL-001&DOL-101 <- PAL
HomelandReloaded

Post by HomelandReloaded » Mon Mar 26, 2012 5:03 pm

I don't get it. For that price, and if you have a Digital AV Out port anyway, you can buy an official component video cable which is still better than the official RGB cable (I've got both). Maybe I'm missing something.

EDIT: Why take the audio plugs outside the SCART?

EDIT2: Maybe it was intended for people who hadn't got component video input on their display, and maybe not audio either, so the RGB goes to the screen and the audio to speakers or hifi system.
pr0ton

Post by pr0ton » Mon Mar 26, 2012 5:41 pm

100 euros makes no sense. There are only few capacitors and a resistor involved, and 2x RCA stereo is of course not a problem: http://www.atel-electronics.eu/produkt. ... ispLang=EN.

Editto:
Achtung:
Es müssen beide Stecker am GameCube eingesteckt werden, damit ein Bild erscheint.
Anmerkung: Dieses Kabel ermöglicht auch die RGB-Dastellung für GameCube Geräte aus Amerika und Japan.
(21.2.03,gcxm)
That is the idea, using Composite from AV-output and RGB from Digital Out to achieve SCART (RGB) connectivity for NTSC and JAP consoles. So there is a MX-chip used, and based on rarity it explains the high price..
DOL-001&DOL-101 <- PAL
WoodyWoodpecker

Post by WoodyWoodpecker » Tue Mar 27, 2012 7:45 pm

That is the idea, using Composite from AV-output and RGB from Digital Out to achieve SCART (RGB) connectivity for NTSC and JAP consoles. So there is a MX-chip used, and based on rarity it explains the high price..
Makes perfect sense! Thanks for clearing that up! But even with an MX-chip, I think 100€ is still way overkill. :lol: How much would you suggest bidding on it?
pr0ton

Post by pr0ton » Tue Mar 27, 2012 8:20 pm

2nd PAL cube with SCART (RGB) is a lot cheaper than this cable, megalomaniac does it for 50 dollars with every component included (also component/SPDIF): so bidding not higher than 50 euros for me. Plus, original component costed only 20-25 euro back then..
DOL-001&DOL-101 <- PAL
megalomaniac

Post by megalomaniac » Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:26 pm

dont go more that 80$
emu_kidid wrote: beer is like WD40 for megalomaniac's brain, gets the gears moving
>>> BadAssConsoles.com <<<

Image Image Image
Shinebi

Post by Shinebi » Wed Mar 28, 2012 7:27 am

Just walked in: the price is for rarity only.
I was lucky enough to find me an (already rebuilt to VGA) D-terminal cable for only € 15, had to get me less than € 5 in parts and used a botchered PS2 cinch cable to make me a Q RGB cable.

Wolfsoft aren't right in the head though: I clearly remember me fixing two of their noob Xbox installs for a couple of friends.
One was hotglued to the static casing and had wires all over the board, the other one's PCB was soldered onto the Xbox MB!
I managed to desolder and place a header inbetween, but it took me almost two hours...
Even their PS2 installs failed and the copper leads shorted on the MBs...
WoodyWoodpecker

Post by WoodyWoodpecker » Thu Mar 29, 2012 4:18 pm

Shinebi wrote: Wolfsoft aren't right in the head though: I clearly remember me fixing two of their noob Xbox installs for a couple of friends.
One was hotglued to the static casing and had wires all over the board, the other one's PCB was soldered onto the Xbox MB!
I managed to desolder and place a header inbetween, but it took me almost two hours...
Even their PS2 installs failed and the copper leads shorted on the MBs...
For a console shop that's pretty bad :lol: Speaking of screwed up installs: The worst install I've ever seen was someone who tried solder a SmartXX V2
directly onto the mainboard and the result looked similar to this:

Only difference was that the solder balls were roughly airsoft-pellet-sized and on top of the chip :shock:
_Nold_

Post by _Nold_ » Thu Mar 29, 2012 5:09 pm

Nice! :D
This is how Dark Helmet solders :D
| DOL-001 (EUR) Indigo | WKF Plug'n'Play Diskdrive Replacement | BBA |
| Internalised: WaveBird, Keyboard Adapter, MemoryCard, SD-Adapter |

| DOL-001 (EUR) | >> First Gamecube Portable - Worklog
liquitt

Post by liquitt » Sat Mar 31, 2012 7:58 am

shit not even i am THAT bad!
please search before you ask - a lot has been discussed already!
(or use google with "site:gc-forever.com *term*")
http://is.gd/MDmZcr

we also have a wiki filled with knowledge
http://is.gd/dX58Rm
megalomaniac

Post by megalomaniac » Sat Mar 31, 2012 8:03 am

that is a pretty bad job...
but then again...take a look at your best soldering job and take a close up detailed pic....

but damn...that is a bad job....
emu_kidid wrote: beer is like WD40 for megalomaniac's brain, gets the gears moving
>>> BadAssConsoles.com <<<

Image Image Image
andzlay

Post by andzlay » Wed Apr 11, 2012 6:30 pm

So did you buy it? Or someone else from the forum?
WoodyWoodpecker

Post by WoodyWoodpecker » Mon Apr 16, 2012 10:30 am

Nope, didn't buy it. Actually, there were two (one from wolfsoft and another homemade one) and I missed both of them :/ They both sold for around 50€. (Dunno if it was someone from the forums)