Problems with installing BootMii

Discussion for GC-Linux on Gamecube & Wii
FantasyCookie17

Problems with installing BootMii

Post by FantasyCookie17 » Tue Feb 18, 2020 12:05 am

I realize this might not be the correct forum to ask about this, and I realize I'm quite late to ask about this, however I do not know where else to get support, as most projects on this seem to be more or less dead by now.
I have one of the newer Wiis, which don't support installing BootMii as boot2, only as IOS, and I wanted to install gc-linux-ngx. So I downloaded the LetterBomb exploit and started the HackMii installer. While installing the Homebrew Channel worked, installing BootMii as IOS (or "Prepare the SD card") failed with return code -1 after saying it was trying to mount the SD card. I tried with both the SD card I had LetterBomb on, which was formatted with a FAT16 partition (4GB; max size), and a different SD card with a VFAT/FAT32 partition. Both are 16GB Sandisk microSDHCs which I applied an MS-DOS/MBR partition table to (GPT did not seem to work), using the full-size SD adapter that came with them, write protection being disabled (switch pulled down, seeing the end with the pins/connector as the top). I suppose the BootMii installation is necessary, as the Homebrew channel doesn't show any option in the home menu to use BootMii when I simply put an SD card with the correct partitions for gc-linux-ngx into the SD card slot of the Wii.
Any ideas or suggestions what I'm doing wrong/could improve, and/or where I could still get better support? Anyone who could tell me how they installed BootMii as IOS?