Gamecube Running on the WiiU

All things Wii-U can be discussed in here!
barcapedro

Re: Gamecube Running on the WiiU

Post by barcapedro » Sat Jul 06, 2013 6:54 am

tueidj wrote:I really don't understand people's obsession with changelogs.
If there's a bug in the program that affects you, test the newest version to see if it's fixed. If you aren't affected by any bugs and everything works as it should, why bother to update?
There is this quite important thing which is called 'time'. Maybe you have too much of it. If I have a changelog I can see whether it is neccessary to test if a certain bug is fixed or not. It would save a lot of people's time. It didn't bother you to write huge readme for r200, but it is too much to ask for a changelog of three lines?
wii_HD

Post by wii_HD » Sat Jul 06, 2013 8:35 am

^ Currently your post count is four - three of which you are criticising others.

Why carnt you use your time to be more postive.
Playing - Super Mario Sunshine - DariusBurst CS - Hotline Miami 2 - Rpi2 Lakka - X360 BurnOut Paradise City
tueidj

Post by tueidj » Sat Jul 06, 2013 9:00 am

barcapedro wrote:There is this quite important thing which is called 'time'. Maybe you have too much of it. If I have a changelog I can see whether it is neccessary to test if a certain bug is fixed or not. It would save a lot of people's time. It didn't bother you to write huge readme for r200, but it is too much to ask for a changelog of three lines?
So basically you're saying your time is more valuable than mine, even though I already spend countless hours working on this for the benefit of other people?
What "certain bug" are you even talking about? There's only one single bug listed in the compatibility list and it hasn't been reported correctly (no log).
Cubelover

Post by Cubelover » Sat Jul 06, 2013 9:59 am

This change log can be used for every update:

"Further improvements to overall system stability and other minor adjustments have been made to enhance the user experience "

Heh.
manic.blood

Post by manic.blood » Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:55 am

Devolution now works with the classic controller CC, this really is great news! Another reason to bu a Wii U. I'm surprised at the speed that this has been implemented. This is incredible, I appreciate the time you put into this Thanks
tueidj

Post by tueidj » Sat Jul 06, 2013 1:51 pm

manic.blood wrote:I'm surprised at the speed that this has been implemented.
It was started in February so it wasn't really all that speedy...
Ashen

Post by Ashen » Sat Jul 06, 2013 3:24 pm

wii_HD wrote:^ Currently your post count is four - three of which you are criticising others.

Why carnt you use your time to be more postive.
This is being dealt with, and if it continues this "new guy" who seemingly has a grudge/bug up his ass with tueidj specifically wont be around long.
inspectah_deck

Post by inspectah_deck » Sat Jul 06, 2013 6:04 pm

I just tried Super Mario Sunshine on WiiU.
Awesome!

Finally Gamecube over glorious HDMI.
Much sharper and better colors then component.
Congratulations to this very well thought-out piece of software (CC support with active/inactive, controller slot switching, widescreenhack toggle etc etc).

Theres only one little request i hope you could incorporate in a future revision to make this loader (in my opinion) perfect for WiiU:
Original Gamecube controller support.
I know you just wrote about your opinion on wired controllers a few posts above, but perhaps you could rethink about it.
I just noticed using the FLUDD in SMS was difficult with the CC controller and i would love to play these games with the controller they where made for.

So what do you think about the idea of adding support for a GCN controller adapter, like the ones from Mayflash?
http://www.amazon.com/GC-Controller-Ada ... 0089NVTDM/
or
http://www.amazon.com/Gamecube-XBox-Con ... 000ND3XXA/
BenoitRen

Post by BenoitRen » Sat Jul 06, 2013 10:41 pm

tueidj wrote:If you aren't affected by any bugs and everything works as it should, why bother to update?
For support and to get new features, obviously.
Hardware: Wii (PAL)
Hardware configuration: System Menu 4.1E, Priiloader
Swiss boot method: Modified Wii Swiss Booter provided by Extrems
Software medium: Retail discs
tueidj

Post by tueidj » Sun Jul 07, 2013 4:13 am

I think you've missed the point.
If you aren't affected by any bugs and everything works as it should why do you need support?
Why would you update "to get new features" if there's no mention of any such features?
inspectah_deck

Post by inspectah_deck » Sun Jul 07, 2013 12:16 pm

Though it´s your choice how you publish your software and i respect that, you have to agree, that it´s common practice to provide changelogs. ;)
BenoitRen

Post by BenoitRen » Sun Jul 07, 2013 12:43 pm

tueidj wrote:I think you've missed the point.
If you aren't affected by any bugs and everything works as it should why do you need support?
For the same reason that you keep updating the software: it's not perfect. At some point, you'll likely run into an issue, and if you're on an older version, asking for help will yield "update to the latest version".
Why would you update "to get new features" if there's no mention of any such features?
Without a changelog, we can't know if there are or not, so we update just to be sure to get them.
Hardware: Wii (PAL)
Hardware configuration: System Menu 4.1E, Priiloader
Swiss boot method: Modified Wii Swiss Booter provided by Extrems
Software medium: Retail discs
tueidj

Post by tueidj » Sun Jul 07, 2013 2:39 pm

Though it´s your choice how you publish your software and i respect that, you have to agree, that it´s common practice to provide changelogs.
No it's not. When was the last time Nintendo posted a changelog for any of their updates?
What is common practice is people misinterpreting changelogs because they don't understand what they mean, inventing non-existent bugs or associating existing bugs with irrelevant changes. As an example I spent several days trying to fix the information in the readme so it would be almost impossible to misinterpret yet somehow there are people who completely missed the sections about using the right stick as a substitute for the analog triggers, or Devolution being able to sync wiimotes by itself instead of needing to use the system menu to do it. Then there's stuff that just gets made up from nowhere, like Devolution requiring a clean MIOS install, 32KB clusters for the FAT partition or 512 byte sector drives only (all three statements are false).
BenoitRen wrote:For the same reason that you keep updating the software: it's not perfect. At some point, you'll likely run into an issue, and if you're on an older version, asking for help will yield "update to the latest version".
If you run into an issue then you're not unaffected by any bugs and things aren't working as they should, which is the exact opposite of the situation I proposed. In that case you should indeed update to the latest version, test it for yourself and report the results. Consulting a changelog would be pointless since there are no known serious issues.
Without a changelog, we can't know if there are or not, so we update just to be sure to get them.
How would you identify a new feature if you don't even know what to look for? Obviously I'm not going to add something significant and not tell anyone about it...
inspectah_deck

Post by inspectah_deck » Sun Jul 07, 2013 2:54 pm

tueidj wrote:
Though it´s your choice how you publish your software and i respect that, you have to agree, that it´s common practice to provide changelogs.
No it's not. When was the last time Nintendo posted a changelog for any of their updates?
What is common practice is people misinterpreting changelogs because they don't understand what they mean, inventing non-existent bugs or associating existing bugs with irrelevant changes. As an example I spent several days trying to fix the information in the readme so it would be almost impossible to misinterpret yet somehow there are people who completely missed the sections about using the right stick as a substitute for the analog triggers, or Devolution being able to sync wiimotes by itself instead of needing to use the system menu to do it. Then there's stuff that just gets made up from nowhere, like Devolution requiring a clean MIOS install, 32KB clusters for the FAT partition or 512 byte sector drives only (all three statements are false).
I meant it´s common practice with homebrew. Official software, software i paid for, is a whole other thing.
I agree, there are always people out there who don´t/can´t read properly (more then there where in the past), but i don´t think that is an argument to not include a changelog. ;)
Ashen

Post by Ashen » Sun Jul 07, 2013 4:38 pm

Guys, seriously. Come the fuck on. The opinion has been stated; Change logs are useful. Lets not beat this argument to death.

I feel pretty lucky to have helpful, knowledgeable people like tueidj and Emu_kidid among other devs around here sharing what they make with all of us. Arguments over petty stuff like this are likely to ruin these peoples desire to come around here. Which is bad for all of us.

There are ways to go about politely asking about/for things like this.

Example (please note, the below "conversation" is completely fictional):

Ashen: Hey tueidj, I noticed in the new devolution release there is no changelog. Whats new in this version man? Do you think we could get a changlog included next time?

tueidj: Well, honestly most important new additions are documented in the readme. I really can't be arsed to document every single technical detail in the code that I've changed.

Ashen: That's cool man, I'll give it a thorough readthru. Thanks alot for your hard work on this!

Pretty much, that's it. No amount of pissing or moaning is likely to change someones mind about something like this. Its similar to the 10,000 posts a day by therandomizer asking about status updates on Wii64SX. Beating the dead horse is likely to do nothing but push people away.

Just some food for thought. Lets keep this a nice, helpful and friendly place to post and share information and not bicker about pointless dumbshit.
inspectah_deck

Post by inspectah_deck » Sun Jul 07, 2013 4:46 pm

Completely agree Ashen. :)

On the other side it´s kind of sad, that good (controverse) discussions are not possible on many boards (including gbatemp) anymore, because of people like the_randomizer and Ray Lewis.
noobcube

Post by noobcube » Wed Jul 10, 2013 7:30 am

tueidj wrote:What "certain bug" are you even talking about? There's only one single bug listed in the compatibility list and it hasn't been reported correctly (no log).
tueidj, post: 4319954, member: 152285 wrote:I don't need logs for graphics issues, only crashes or lockups.
tueidj

Post by tueidj » Wed Jul 10, 2013 10:57 am

If you check the context you'll find I was talking about one specific graphics problem (bad texture palettes) that affected a lot of games and was fixed way back around r120, and I'm also pretty sure I said at the time that any further graphics bugs should be reported in full.
noobcube

Post by noobcube » Wed Jul 10, 2013 11:44 am

tueidj wrote:If you check the context you'll find I was talking about one specific graphics problem (bad texture palettes) that affected a lot of games and was fixed way back around r120, and I'm also pretty sure I said at the time that any further graphics bugs should be reported in full.
Thanks for the reply!

http://gbatemp.net/threads/devolution-p ... st-4658446
Finally!!!
r197 properly fixes Star Wars Clone Wars! now it works!!!
thanks and well done tueidj!

burnout STILL have palette issues and rainbow sky
Every other game appears to be working perfectly. Burnout does not crash. It just has the palette problem with the sky. Not sure if a log would show anything.
Nintendo Maniac 64

Post by Nintendo Maniac 64 » Thu Jul 11, 2013 6:04 am

Speaking of bugs and classic controller support in general, Luigi's Mansion seems to be completely borked on the classic controller and classic controller pro. From my not-so-in-depth observation it would seem that the GC L and/or R analog are not being set to the CC's shoulder button dead zone. In-game this results in the vacuum constantly running, and considering said vacuum requires the C-stick to aim, using the "emulated analog L & R on right-stick" doesn't work for gameplay.

This happens on both the original classic controller and the classic controller pro, but not on the GameCube controller. Unplugging and replugging, switching controllers, rebooting, plugging in the controller at different times during start up, I've tried it all and the results are always the same.
arricat

Post by arricat » Sat Jul 13, 2013 8:08 pm

What about using the Gamecube to USB adapter?. :D
panmusic

Post by panmusic » Tue Jul 16, 2013 7:27 am

Nintendo Maniac 64 wrote:Speaking of bugs and classic controller support in general, Luigi's Mansion seems to be completely borked on the classic controller and classic controller pro. From my not-so-in-depth observation it would seem that the GC L and/or R analog are not being set to the CC's shoulder button dead zone. In-game this results in the vacuum constantly running, and considering said vacuum requires the C-stick to aim, using the "emulated analog L & R on right-stick" doesn't work for gameplay.

This happens on both the original classic controller and the classic controller pro, but not on the GameCube controller. Unplugging and replugging, switching controllers, rebooting, plugging in the controller at different times during start up, I've tried it all and the results are always the same.

I can confirm this.
Luigi's Mansion is certainly unplayable for me too...
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Post by emu_kidid » Tue Jul 16, 2013 11:34 am

Play the PAL version ;)
panmusic

Post by panmusic » Tue Jul 16, 2013 1:06 pm

emu_kidid wrote:Play the PAL version ;)

And that's exactly what I am playing... ;)

I used CleanRip to extract my PAL game,and the game insists to have the same problems Nintendo Maniac mentioned... :?
Nintendo Maniac 64

Post by Nintendo Maniac 64 » Tue Jul 16, 2013 3:32 pm

Need to clarify, the game works perfectly with GC controllers, it's only borky with CC and CCpro (WiiU pro & PS3 are unknown).