Just picked up my 1st GC

Find all your GameCube topics here
paybacks3

Just picked up my 1st GC

Post by paybacks3 » Tue Mar 19, 2013 1:19 am

Sup guys .. great fourm... Just picked up my 1st gamecube .. i know im a little late. but it was deff missing from my collection ..

Landed one on ebay for $25 (black) with one controller , metroid prime + demo disc, and a glacier GBA .

My question to you is what now ???
Where should i go from here???

Never really hard modded anything in my life. But I am really handy and can follow the crap out of a TUT lol .

Shoud i go case exchange for the fullsize DVD's ? Chip ? SD loader ? etc etc

What should i be expecting to dish out cash wise for my new project ?

Would love your feedback... Thanks for your time in advance.
megalomaniac

Re: Just picked up my 1st GC

Post by megalomaniac » Tue Mar 19, 2013 2:12 am

its gonna involve a lot of readying to determine which direction will be best for you because there is no best method....there are a lot of methods which are perfect for some, less than perfect for others...

you may want to look at something simple like installing a xeno mod chip...
or you can use a WKF/WODE drive replacement modchip....
or add a simple to connect ide-exi adapter to use a HDD from the memory card slot...
there are also methods like PSOload, SD media launcher, MaxDrive Pro which require no modification...
http://www.gc-forever.com/wiki/index.ph ... g_Homebrew
http://www.gc-forever.com/wiki/index.ph ... y:Modchips
http://www.gc-forever.com/wiki/index.php?title=Ide-exi

hehe this is not a sales pitch...but you might want to look here for some ideas here that might come in handy for you if you decide to install a drive replacement or want to use a HDD
viewtopic.php?f=18&t=1235&start=36
emu_kidid wrote: beer is like WD40 for megalomaniac's brain, gets the gears moving
>>> BadAssConsoles.com <<<

Image Image Image
Edge-`

Post by Edge-` » Tue Mar 19, 2013 12:19 pm

Congrats on your new purchase!

I'd recommend installing a Drive chip regardless of what other options you go with. XenoGC chips are cheap and easy to install. At the least then you could easily use loader discs and beyond that benefit from built in audio fix and audio streaming support for backups.
paybacks3

Post by paybacks3 » Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:18 pm

Interesting ..

So from what i read and correct me if I'm wrong since I'm new to all this stuff. Read the wiki pages you linked me and did some youtube-ing

The Wiikey Fusion ... replaces the the CD Drive. ... Ribbon that would normally connect's the drive goes into the solderless mod chip on one end, on the other end of the chip is where i would need to plug in an SD Reader . ( which comes with the chip ? or i need to get one on my own?) No XenoGC mod chip required since we are using the Wiikey fusion . WODE does the same thing its just a different chip which lets you connect an usb drive ?

Now for the Ide-exi ... Lets you connect an IDE Hard-drive thru the port in the front . But your going to need an external power source for the drive. Which equals more cables around the GC.. The modchip hanging out the port ... the IDE cable .. the hard-drive.. and power source will all be exposed unless i seriously mod the crap out of that case. Question here does this require the Xeno chip ? or does it boot thru a HB app off SDML ?

I'm leaning towards the Wiikey Fusion If i spend the money on the Xeno chip and try to do it myself i might mess up the cube and have to go out and pick up another one ..... Or is it that simple to install ?
megalomaniac

Post by megalomaniac » Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:36 pm

WKF / WODE does not plug right into the GC...
you need to modify your motherboard to remove the dvd port and install a replacement, or solder a lot of wires to the bottom side of the dvd port....
take a look at this post, i put a few random members installations in one post with additional info....viewtopic.php?p=14543#p14543
WKF/WODE should be considered a major modification but with very high advantages

xeno modchips are still available for sale so those should be considered the next best solution to play your backups from DVD or SD card in the memory slot with an SD GECKO device. << look in the wiki for that

ide-exi HDD could be installed internally with the right setup...
HDD can be powered from the GC PSU (solder wires to mobo PSU voltage points)...
GC has no issues driving a HDD, plenty of available power there...
( same for WODE HDD, install that internally also, you wont need to have the DVD drive anymore so plenty of room left over in there)

xeno would have to be the easiest solution.....about 100x easier than installing a WKF/WODE if you are not too experienced in modding...if you dont want to mod, then you should consider a SDMediaLauncher or MaxDrivePRO and learn to live with it....
emu_kidid wrote: beer is like WD40 for megalomaniac's brain, gets the gears moving

Image Image Image
paybacks3

Post by paybacks3 » Wed Mar 20, 2013 12:30 am

Thanks for taking out the time to answer my questions. Sounds like you really know your stuff ,your the Yoda of GC-F :D

Since this stuff isnt plug and play ..

Might go Xeno Chip fullsize DVD Case mod . =/ or chip with an SD Reader Question i found a SD Card Adapter for Wii think it would work with the GC ? they use the same memrory cards right ? or is the SD GECKO device flashed with some software ? If i go with the chip sd road ... will i need the SD Media Launcher with a bootloader HB App or theres a boot cd

At any point you could tell me to stop with the question lol
megalomaniac

Post by megalomaniac » Wed Mar 20, 2013 12:45 am

the wii sd adapter will work...
with a xeno you can boot DVD homebrew loaders to read emulators or even gamecube titles from SD card...
you might not need a full size case if you plan to load titles from SD card....

Image Image Image
s8n187

Post by s8n187 » Tue Apr 09, 2013 6:11 pm

hi paybacks3 , i dont know if anyone has mentioned it but i recommend a xenoGC wired install instead of soldering the chip straight to the board.

if anything goes wrong during the install a wired install is much easier to fix , if the xenoGC is soldered straight to the board its a dog to get off.
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Post by emu_kidid » Fri Apr 12, 2013 9:43 am

I'd recommend XenoGC + Swiss burned on a DVD + SD Gecko. It's the least modding you'd need with the most features to gain.

With this alone you'll be able to boot DVD backups (via XenoGC or in Swiss with advanced settings like better video/etc), and from SD Cards in Swiss.