is there a list of games that wont work if you shrink them?

Find all your GameCube topics here
shambles1980

is there a list of games that wont work if you shrink them?

Post by shambles1980 » Sun Sep 15, 2013 11:16 am

figured id ask here.
i have been shrinking games for sd cards using gcm, Just 1 iso at a time "not making a multi iso"
some games shrink really well others only save a few 100mb.
But it has greatly increased the ammount of games i can have on 1 sd card..

Most of them seem to work fine. But zelda collectors eddition seems to not work.
it starts and you get to the menu, but when you select one of the games you just get a black screen. (majoras mask or octarina of time is the only 1 i tested)
This isnt a huge problem because shrinking only saved like 100Mb of space any way..

BUT
every time i have to replace a game with the non shrunk version i have to format my sd card and put all the games back on there at the same time so they dont fragment (gets time consuming)

and all the games i have tested so far have only had a basic test they start and i can play about 5-10 mins. so some of the ones i think work may fail at a cut scene later..

so i was wondering if there is a compatible list some where.
im sure it would be usefull.
and probably easier just to list the games that dont work

whilst im asking.

if i put resident evil 1 or zero in gcm and make it a multi iso does that work ok with this setup. or do i need to use a disk swap method of change sd card and have the games in the same slot on diferent cards still?
or can i just have 2 seperate iso's on the same card now?

This is with a wiikey fusion on the game cube running swiss r240
piratesephiroth

Re: is there a list of games that wont work if you shrink th

Post by piratesephiroth » Sun Sep 15, 2013 11:24 am

Disc swap doesn't work at all in these latest versions (at least on Gamecube.)

And Swiss doesn't support fragmented files in Wiikey? That sucks...
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Post by emu_kidid » Sun Sep 15, 2013 11:44 am

Wiikey Fusion swap ability is in the works, it's 90% done. One other game that I know doesn't shrink well is Mario Baseball.
deckard

Post by deckard » Sun Sep 15, 2013 3:53 pm

emu_kidid wrote:Wiikey Fusion swap ability is in the works, it's 90% done. One other game that I know doesn't shrink well is Mario Baseball.
Nice! Will that just require having only one game on the SD card being swapped to?
shambles1980

Post by shambles1980 » Sun Sep 15, 2013 5:07 pm

ok you say disk swap dosent work at all..
i assume you mean when it says "insert disk two"
i cant eject put in a new sd. close the lid and hit disk sensing button..

But provided the game saves when it asks you to enter disk 2 could i just load disk 2 and it will find the save and continue from there?

because the main reason i went and got a game cube was so i could play res evil 0 and the remake of 1.
both are multi disk games.
(i dont like dolphin, or wii)

so am i out of luck till a newer swiss is released?
baldjared

Post by baldjared » Sun Sep 15, 2013 10:27 pm

In case someone wants to make a list at some point, Mario Golf: Toadstool Tour didn't work for me when shrunk.
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Post by emu_kidid » Sun Sep 15, 2013 11:12 pm

Mario Golf worked shrunk for me, and in theory, all games should unless if they go out of their way to perform some evil checks on the disc layout. I personally wouldn't compile a list because the definition of a shrunk image would vary quite a bit depending on the tool used and whether or not it keeps the original layout for some of the lower level files (DOL, FST, etc) and whether or not it aligns files too.

Wiikey Fusion 2 disc support won't require ejecting the card, it will require you to have the files named in a specific way on the SD card.
shambles1980

Post by shambles1980 » Mon Sep 16, 2013 1:53 am

in that case is there a "best shrinking application"
I think the one im using works pretty well to be honest.

pretty sure all it does is remove all the dummy space. games like rampage become a few 100mb. but eternal darkness / resident evil stay almost the same size.
dont really know what the 100 n so Mb it does find to delete is. but im going to assume its just dummy space so the dvd reads properly (data is where the laser expects it to be)
piratesephiroth

Post by piratesephiroth » Mon Sep 16, 2013 6:26 am

shambles1980 wrote:ok you say disk swap dosent work at all..
i assume you mean when it says "insert disk two"
i cant eject put in a new sd. close the lid and hit disk sensing button..

But provided the game saves when it asks you to enter disk 2 could i just load disk 2 and it will find the save and continue from there?

because the main reason i went and got a game cube was so i could play res evil 0 and the remake of 1.
both are multi disk games.
(i dont like dolphin, or wii)

so am i out of luck till a newer swiss is released?
Disc swap requires you to name the files properly, ending the file name with '1' or '2'. Like 'ResidentEvil-disc1.gcm' or even 'RE1.iso'. Once it detects the eject button on the Wii or the open lid on GC it loads the other iso. In the latest release (v0.3 r174) it ignores the SD card and only looks for discs in the drive. In the latest nightly builds it's totally broken and just crashes the cube when you try the disc swap.
keropi

Post by keropi » Mon Sep 16, 2013 8:03 am

emu_kidid wrote:[...]
Wiikey Fusion 2 disc support won't require ejecting the card, it will require you to have the files named in a specific way on the SD card.
aha, like the jtag/rgh 360 "disk swapping plugin" that FSD has?
pretty cool feature emu_kidid , hope all works out in developing this :mrgreen:

plus I would also like to know what's the "best" tool to shrink isos... :)
wii_HD

Post by wii_HD » Mon Sep 16, 2013 8:22 am

keropi wrote:
plus I would also like to know what's the "best" tool to shrink isos... :)
CleanRip 3.0 :o

Seriously would be a useful feature but would infringe the program name.
Playing - Super Mario Sunshine - DariusBurst CS - Hotline Miami 2 - Rpi2 Lakka - X360 BurnOut Paradise City
baldjared

Post by baldjared » Mon Sep 16, 2013 9:17 am

emu_kidid wrote:Mario Golf worked shrunk for me, and in theory, all games should unless if they go out of their way to perform some evil checks on the disc layout. I personally wouldn't compile a list because the definition of a shrunk image would vary quite a bit depending on the tool used and whether or not it keeps the original layout for some of the lower level files (DOL, FST, etc) and whether or not it aligns files too.

Interesting, I'll have to try some other apps then, I did like 40 games and only 1 or 2 of them didn't seem to like being shrunk so I figured the game was to blame, that'll show me for not trying anything else.