Find all your GameCube topics here
novenary

Re: Where do I start...

Post by novenary » Sun Mar 02, 2014 5:57 pm

Maybe use the defragmenter in Wincrap ? :P
megalomaniac

Post by megalomaniac » Sun Mar 02, 2014 7:32 pm

I've had swiss display information that a file was in 8 fragments and it still tested fine

??
emu_kidid wrote: beer is like WD40 for megalomaniac's brain, gets the gears moving
>>> BadAssConsoles.com <<<

Image Image Image
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Post by emu_kidid » Sun Mar 02, 2014 9:38 pm

Likewise. Try the latest build from the nightly builds thread, it's definitely supported (from SDGecko and IDE-EXI) - WKF on the other hand is another story.
julius

Post by julius » Mon Mar 03, 2014 10:56 pm

I am still sticked to v0.2 since the last nightly build I tried did not support IDE-EXI, but I am going to give it a try to nightly builds again as you recomend.Thanks.
megalomaniac

Post by megalomaniac » Tue Mar 04, 2014 1:32 am

ide-exi has been fixed
make sure to use clean iso's to test since swiss now patches differently from v2
emu_kidid wrote: beer is like WD40 for megalomaniac's brain, gets the gears moving
>>> BadAssConsoles.com <<<

Image Image Image
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Post by emu_kidid » Tue Mar 04, 2014 2:23 am

Or maybe he meant fragmented support is broken for IDE-EXI.
Clansman

Post by Clansman » Wed Mar 05, 2014 9:25 pm

Hi all,

Just an update on how i am getting along.

Well i now have the SDML the the WiiKey.

The SDML came first so i thought i would try it out on that first, so when i first had a quick look around all i could find was the R174 build (didn't know about the nightly build at this point), so i put that on the 2gb card i started it up, went through the swiss.dol and onto the next screen where i swapped around the SD cards for my SDHC 32gb card, then went to the play through SD card slot and then it took me to the root of that card, i choose a random game that i found (Freedom Fighters) and it played fine. Cut scenes were a tiny bit jerky but nothing bad. I then found R256 on the nightly builds, now i wiped the 2gb and put that on instead, this is where i hit some issues. I put this in the gamecube and away we go. When i get onto the main screen i go into the DOL file and choose Swiss.dol. This then takes me to how i want to run the game. I swapped the cards around and went to run it through SD slot via SD Gecko but it takes me back to the directory of my 2gb card even through i don't have it plugged in?

I eventually got my Wiikey come through and i tried all the above again, only this time it wouldn't play anything from R174, it came up with some error when i tried to play a game. As for the R256 it did exactly the same as the SDML card.

I know I've most likely screwed this up along the way. Have i missed something out? Is there something that i've not put on the SD cards? Is there a idiot proof walkthrough to save me from pestering you all.

Thanks again all.
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Post by emu_kidid » Wed Mar 05, 2014 9:55 pm

"I swapped the cards around and went to run it through SD slot via SD Gecko but it takes me back to the directory of my 2gb card even through i don't have it plugged in?"

There's an issue with swapping cards still around it seems, you should always go back to the device selection menu with a card removed before doing this.
Clansman

Post by Clansman » Wed Mar 05, 2014 10:14 pm

I've went back to the menu but still no joy, it just keeps seeing the 2gb instead of the 32gb. Is this to do with the R256? Should i try a different one?
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Post by emu_kidid » Wed Mar 05, 2014 10:19 pm

it all depends on when you swap. there's a bug I need to fix. It works fine but I probably swap differently (i.e. I remove the entire SD Gecko).
Clansman

Post by Clansman » Wed Mar 05, 2014 10:59 pm

I thought i'd try moving it to slot A after getting to where i choose SD Gecko, and voila, it works. Only problem is that when i want to save a game it wants to save it to slot A and no slot B, and as the WiiKey is in there i'm a bit buggered. Also, I've tried a couple of games so far, one of them says 'failed to find necessary functions for patching', what does this mean and is there a way i can fix this? I only ask as i'm gathering this may happen at times.

Thanks
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Post by emu_kidid » Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:35 pm

That message shouldn't be a common occurrence, which game said that as I'd like to investigate/fix it.

I always run my SD Gecko in Slot B and memcard in slot A (when not using a USBGecko for debug that is)
Clansman

Post by Clansman » Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:54 pm

I would run the SD Gecko in Slot B but i had to move it to slot A when it gets to the stage where it asks 'SD slot via SD Gecko' as it wasn't noticing the swap of the SD card to the 32gb SDHC, when i pulled the wiikey out and tried it in Slot A it recognized the 32gb SDHC Card and played the game (Zelda - Wind Waker)

As for the game that wouldn't work, that was Animal Crossing, it tried to patch it itself after it came up with 'failed to find necessary functions for patching' but when it came on the screen was green.

Thanks
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Post by emu_kidid » Thu Mar 06, 2014 1:42 am

interesting, I try Animal crossing regularly but I guess I might've not tried it in a while. Is it a good dump of the game? what region?
Clansman

Post by Clansman » Thu Mar 06, 2014 8:44 am

Its PAL, i've tried it on Dolphin and it seems to run flawlessly on that.
iamdablasta

Post by iamdablasta » Thu Mar 06, 2014 9:53 am

Clansman wrote:Its PAL, i've tried it on Dolphin and it seems to run flawlessly on that.
I have had games work on Dolphin and still not on the NGC. Redumping fixed it.
the game
Clansman

Post by Clansman » Thu Mar 06, 2014 8:21 pm

Is the swapping of the card an issue other people have had with it not recognizing the new card in slot B?
Clansman

Post by Clansman » Thu Mar 06, 2014 8:28 pm

Or have i cocked something up somewhere?
iamdablasta

Post by iamdablasta » Fri Mar 07, 2014 10:47 am

My 2nd card wouldn't work. After defragging it would, could always try that.
Also, my card is in slot b but I need to use slot a for it to read (I select A and it reads B haha, who the fuck knows why).
the game
Dragoon

Post by Dragoon » Fri Mar 07, 2014 2:12 pm

I advice you to not defragment non-spinning drives.
The defragmenting causes a lot of reading and writing done to the SSD/SD/USB and this shortens the lifespan of the drive.
iamdablasta

Post by iamdablasta » Fri Mar 07, 2014 3:36 pm

Dragoon wrote:I advice you to not defragment non-spinning drives.
The defragmenting causes a lot of reading and writing done to the SSD/SD/USB and this shortens the lifespan of the drive.
Mine wouldn't read until I did though.
the game
novenary

Post by novenary » Fri Mar 07, 2014 5:40 pm

There's always the "zero everything and write stuff not fragmented" way. The trim instruction on SSDs is nice for that.
Also fragmenting was originally designed for HDDs because it would increase write speed at the cost of read speed IIRC.