Using sd media launcher with cards bigger than 4 gb?

Find all your GameCube topics here
carphreak

Using sd media launcher with cards bigger than 4 gb?

Post by carphreak » Thu Apr 03, 2014 5:33 am

Can I use sd media launcher with cards bigger than 4 gb? Any alternatives other than modchips?, and if modchips are the best choice, which do you recommend that are the easiest to install?
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Re: Using sd media launcher with cards bigger than 4 gb?

Post by emu_kidid » Thu Apr 03, 2014 5:42 am

SD Media Launcher is just a means of booting homebrew or using cheats.

If you use SD Media Launcher to boot Swiss from a 2GB SD Card, then in Swiss you can swap it out for a card of up to 128GB (larger should work too).
novenary

Post by novenary » Thu Apr 03, 2014 8:37 am

What he said.
If you go for a modchip, the XenoGC is cheap and easy to find. Install is 6 solder points.
julius

Post by julius » Thu Apr 03, 2014 9:54 pm

Once you load swiss with a (micro)sd up to 4 gb, loading homebrew and backups is matter of seconds, so if you do not have soldering skills as many of us, this method is good deal.
Seraphic

Post by Seraphic » Mon Aug 04, 2014 10:08 pm

Would it be a better idea to purchase one of THESE and add one of THESE and plug into the Cube's memory card 1, while keeping the Media Launcher in the Cube's memory slot 2? So you do not have have to switch out memory cards every time? Even if that worked though, are save files from actual Game Cube games able to be written/read from SD cards? If so, ISOs on port 1 and save games/swiss etc on port 2? Would that work?

And on a side note, is the WaveBird controller known to have a problem with the SDMedia Launcher? When I get to the main page to load Swiss.dol, it says Please insert a controller into port 1 90% of the time.
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Post by emu_kidid » Mon Aug 04, 2014 10:53 pm

try hold down the R trigger slightly when booting SDML so it can have that connectivity on startup.
Seraphic

Post by Seraphic » Mon Aug 04, 2014 11:00 pm

emu_kidid wrote:try hold down the R trigger slightly when booting SDML so it can have that connectivity on startup.
Thanks, I will try that. Might you please also comment on my other question in my previous post about the memory card 1 / memory card 2 issue?
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Post by emu_kidid » Mon Aug 04, 2014 11:40 pm

Sure. I'm not 100% certain but SDML might try to read the card in Slot A first as well so you'd get a message/freeze.

As for saving to SDGecko, Swiss used to be able to do it (badly at that), but at the moment it's not supported, you'd need a memory card.
Seraphic

Post by Seraphic » Mon Aug 04, 2014 11:48 pm

Holding the Right trigger fix the no controller issue, so thanks on that. In that case, I just try ordering a larger SDCH card. However, I was trying to load backups I made from the GameBoy Player and F-Zero GX discs I own and as well as a DL'ed Ikaruga and load from the 2GB SD card, but kept getting back screens while trying to boot. Now, when I try to load the swiss.dol file from the SDML menu, I just get a black screen and it doesn't boot to the swiss menu anymore. What could have happened?
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Post by emu_kidid » Tue Aug 05, 2014 12:41 am

common issue with a crappy SD adapter (as bundled with SDML).
Seraphic

Post by Seraphic » Tue Aug 05, 2014 11:38 am

Oh, well that is a relief. Thought it might have been a hardware issue as it worked the first several times.

Might you suggest where I could purchase a high quality replacement SD adapter? I take it SDML able to be run off any SD Adapter?
And with third party adapters, would they have higher read speeds then the SDML adapter that allow reading of .gcm games off the SD card without slowdown?

Also, do SD cards not listed on the compatibility page below have a chance of working?
Like a 64GB Patriot Signature LX or just stick to the confirmed 32GB Patriot Signature LX?
http://www.gc-forever.com/wiki/index.ph ... ility_List
Seraphic

Post by Seraphic » Tue Aug 05, 2014 10:11 pm

Found a good price on a WiiKey for about $4 shipped at http://www.dx.com/p/wiikey-sd-card-adap ... -DD52N0A-U
I will try my Class10 Sandisk 32GB SDHC card with it when it arrives and hope Swiss works again using my 2GB SD card with the WiiKey as well.
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Post by emu_kidid » Tue Aug 05, 2014 10:59 pm

The SDGecko, WiikeySD, etc are all the same, they just route the SD card connections to the memory card port connector, all in the same way, so it won't hurt compatibility unless if it's not making a proper connection (like the crappy one that comes with SDML happens to do).

I've used a 128GB SDXC in Swiss and it has worked fine, the SD compatibility list on the Swiss page shouldn't really be used as a guide.
Seraphic

Post by Seraphic » Tue Aug 19, 2014 12:14 pm

The WiiKey arrived and Swiss is loading again which is a relief.

Did have a question about loading "backups" from memory card. Are most of the GameCube ISOs supported? The Swiss Wiki has a list, is that out of date though?
I've also looked into trying to load the GameCube Player disk off of the SD card, but I have heard reports that it does that not work. Is that still the case?

Would be great to not have to swap disks ever again. :D
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Post by emu_kidid » Tue Aug 19, 2014 10:36 pm

The list is constantly out of date, that's my fault, I keep trying to "fix" things.