Help, need a few questions answering.

Find all your GameCube topics here
Naz132

Help, need a few questions answering.

Post by Naz132 » Wed Aug 13, 2014 12:55 am

Hello everyone,
I just need a few questions answering so i have all the information i need when i start putting things together. If anyone can help with any of the problems a reply would be much appreciated.

Screen Help - So i ordered a battery pack and i was wondering if there is a 12v line on the GameCube motherboard. I know there is on the others but I'm using the motherboard with the regulator built in.

Battery Saving Help - I also need to know if using a step down regulator will save me battery. If i do use this i will be taking the power from my 12v 6800mAh battery pack and putting it into the regulator and stepping it down to 7.4v as i have read the GameCube can run fine on this voltage. Will this save me battery? If it doesn't i will not bother. If not is there a way to save battery in my situation without making things too complicated.

Component Cable Help - One more thing. Im about to order a new screen as my old one was rubbish. I really would like to use a GameCube component cable but they are way too expensive. I remember seeing someone use a Wii component cable instead does this work? Does it improve the quality or is it not worth it? If not is there another way i can improve the picture quality without spending a ridiculous amount of money. A different cable..?
megalomaniac

Re: Help, need a few questions answering.

Post by megalomaniac » Wed Aug 13, 2014 1:44 am

if you are using a DOL-101 with the build in regulator, then the 12v connection is located where you plug in the cable from the fan to the mainboard...

if you have 12v batteries and use a regulator to convert to 7.4v, then:
12 - 7.4 = 4.8v wasted and dissipated as heat

cannot use wii component cables on a GC to achieve 480p / 576p...the only way to accomplish progressive video from GC is to use the official component cable
emu_kidid wrote: beer is like WD40 for megalomaniac's brain, gets the gears moving
>>> BadAssConsoles.com <<<

Image Image Image
Naz132

Post by Naz132 » Wed Aug 13, 2014 2:19 am

Hey man thanks for the quick reply. After what you have said the other two things don't matter. But i would like to use s video as i would like my screen to look nicer even if it is just a slight improvement.

I went on ebay and found this - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1-8M-VGA-TO-3 ... 3f3b125221

Is this what i need? And how would i install this in my portable?

Or is this the wire? http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1-5M-SVHS-S-V ... 3f0b326ea4
theclaw

Post by theclaw » Wed Aug 13, 2014 1:06 pm

That first wire is for special uses. Normally component and VGA aren't compatible.

The second wire would be easier to use on an NTSC gamecube. PAL systems output RGB instead of s video.
Naz132

Post by Naz132 » Wed Aug 13, 2014 3:53 pm

thanks for the reply. Do you know if the ps one screen is easier to use. I need a switching headphone jack and speakers in my portable and was wondering if the ps one screen would be easier to use than buying a Chinese screen and separate speakers? Do you know of a guide or tutorial as i have never used the ps one screen in modding.