Boot backup of Datel's Action Replay? (swap problem)

Find all your GameCube topics here
Burbruee

Boot backup of Datel's Action Replay? (swap problem)

Post by Burbruee » Wed Sep 01, 2010 8:26 pm

I'm not sure if anyone ever tried this. But I burned a backup of Action Replay to DVD-R and it boots okay from my Cobra 2.1 bios. (I have a ViperGC modchip)

Problem is when it asks me to swap out the disc. The DVD drive won't stop spinning after I open the lid. Cobra has a setting (pass-through) in it's bios depending on if you have the top case assembled or not. Tried changing this, but it doesn't help. Disc won't stop spinning.

Tried to boot it off GCOS instead and also SD-Boot but it doesn't display correctly. Garbled graphics and hangs on title screen.

I know Cobra has built in cheat editor. But I wanted to try Action Replay because I couldn't make some codes work with it and also cobra has very limited space for codes while Action Replay has a large database and I think you can save to memcard.

Thanks.
gtmtnbiker

Re: Boot backup of Datel's Action Replay? (swap problem)

Post by gtmtnbiker » Wed Sep 01, 2010 9:36 pm

Did you disconnect the lid sensor and connected it up to the Viper? If so, it doesn't work. I just leave it hooked up normally and it'll work. That is, it'll sense the lid is open and stop the drive.

I used a backup copy of the AR in order to boot an older version of SD Boot. I've been meaning to try out emu_kidid's version.
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Post by emu_kidid » Wed Sep 01, 2010 11:10 pm

In the Cobra settings, you need to put the lid sensor to "pass through" mode, not "Closed". This will allow the Gamecube to freely know what the real state of the lid is, and not always report that it's closed even when it's not. (This "always closed" behaviour was used because people used to run their gamecube with the top of the case off to fit 12cm dvd-r on it).
gtmtnbiker

Post by gtmtnbiker » Wed Sep 01, 2010 11:29 pm

emu_kidid wrote:In the Cobra settings, you need to put the lid sensor to "pass through" mode, not "Closed". This will allow the Gamecube to freely know what the real state of the lid is, and not always report that it's closed even when it's not. (This "always closed" behaviour was used because people used to run their gamecube with the top of the case off to fit 12cm dvd-r on it).
So I'm assuming that the pass through worked for you? Maybe that was my problem? I don't recall ever changing the BIOS settings for this. I'll have to try it again sometimes.
Burbruee

Post by Burbruee » Thu Sep 02, 2010 7:30 am

emu_kidid wrote:In the Cobra settings, you need to put the lid sensor to "pass through" mode, not "Closed". This will allow the Gamecube to freely know what the real state of the lid is, and not always report that it's closed even when it's not. (This "always closed" behaviour was used because people used to run their gamecube with the top of the case off to fit 12cm dvd-r on it).
Yes, that's what I thought. It doesn't stop spinning despite being on "passthru" though. Not quite sure what the problem is. (bad image/bad burn/bad media?)
AC_Orange

Post by AC_Orange » Thu Sep 02, 2010 8:02 am

I have Cobra 2.1 as well, if my memory serves me well, pass-through only works when you boot the original bios. Might be wrong, it's been a while
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Post by emu_kidid » Thu Sep 02, 2010 8:03 am

Yeah it should go through the BIOS and then to the game.
Burbruee

Post by Burbruee » Sat Sep 04, 2010 2:48 pm

gtmtnbiker wrote:Did you disconnect the lid sensor and connected it up to the Viper? If so, it doesn't work. I just leave it hooked up normally and it'll work. That is, it'll sense the lid is open and stop the drive.

I used a backup copy of the AR in order to boot an older version of SD Boot. I've been meaning to try out emu_kidid's version.
I did this and it's working, disc now stops spinning when opening the lid. :)

However, somehow I totally forgot that AR obviously can't boot backups. :lol:

Okay, the real reason why I wanted to use AR besides getting more space for storing codes compared to cobra built-in feature is this.
I have a Datel Powerboard. If you don't know, it's a keyboard by Datel for the gamecube which works for Phantasy Star Online and also the Action Replay. Makes it so much easier and faster to input codes. It's a normal ps/2 keyboard and with it an adapter from ps/2 to gamecube controller port.

Cobra does not support this input method, only normal controller which is a shame.

I wish there was a homebrew for decrypted AR-codes which could boot backups AND have support for the keyboard and save codes to memcard. Oh well.

For those of you into developing for gamecube. Is it possible to get input from a keyboard in controller port 2 with some library for gc? If so maybe I could try to make something like what I want myself. It's just that I've never coded anything for the gamecube so I'm not sure where to get started. (devkitpro?)
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Post by emu_kidid » Sat Sep 04, 2010 10:56 pm

Next SD-Boot will have unencrypted cheat features from SD-card for backups (SD/DVD).
kevstah2004

Post by kevstah2004 » Sun Sep 05, 2010 3:22 pm

Did you fix the bug with the codelist not showing up the last code of a codelist?
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Post by emu_kidid » Sun Sep 05, 2010 11:04 pm

Yeah.
kevstah2004

Post by kevstah2004 » Sun Sep 26, 2010 4:50 pm

Would it be possible to regional codelist selector? like in AR you can change the region flags between PAL, JP, and US so in sd-boot you could change the loaded codelist file from cheats_PAL.qch, cheats_NTSC-U.qch and cheats_NTSC-J.qch
Burbruee why not use GCOS v1.5 with a embedded AR dol if your wanting to use AR.
Burbruee

Post by Burbruee » Tue Sep 28, 2010 9:34 pm

@kev
I didn't really *want* to use AR. It's just that I have a datel powerboard (gc keyboard) which I used mainly for PSO, but it's also supported in the Action Replay software and would be a much more convenient way to input codes than the on-screen keyboard feature used in most homebrew software.
takanari

Post by takanari » Fri Jan 14, 2011 11:56 am

Burbruee wrote:I'm not sure if anyone ever tried this. But I burned a backup of Action Replay to DVD-R and it boots okay from my Cobra 2.1 bios. (I have a ViperGC modchip)

Problem is when it asks me to swap out the disc. The DVD drive won't stop spinning after I open the lid. Cobra has a setting (pass-through) in it's bios depending on if you have the top case assembled or not. Tried changing this, but it doesn't help. Disc won't stop spinning.

Tried to boot it off GCOS instead and also SD-Boot but it doesn't display correctly. Garbled graphics and hangs on title screen.

I know Cobra has built in cheat editor. But I wanted to try Action Replay because I couldn't make some codes work with it and also cobra has very limited space for codes while Action Replay has a large database and I think you can save to memcard.

Thanks.
Hey, I do It yesterday.
Get the SDBoot ISO here: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=Z3FWISH6
Open It using UltraISO and add this file: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=EDVT7G6A and save as ISO.
Burn ISO on Nero at 4x.
Turn on your Game Cube, go to DVD Explorer in Cobra Bios Menu and run the SDLoad21.vgc file, wait any seconds and......
You get flashed you Viper GC with the Cobra Bios 2.1 + SDLOAD PLUGIN!
Go to Menu and setup (X) function to load plugin, turn off your Game Cube, turn on again holding X button and automatically loads .DOL SD loader and you can run any .DOL from SD.
No DVD needed.
I can run snes9xgx, fce ultra gx, vbagx, smsplus, genplus, cube64, cubeSX, divx/mp3 player, save manager and SDBoot to play .GCM files.
Good Luck and sorry for bad english, I'm brazilian.