Shuriken Video

Find all your GameCube topics here
TALANTO

Re: Shuriken Video

Post by TALANTO » Fri Nov 20, 2015 12:31 pm

happy_bunny wrote: may buy that cheap programmer see if it works :-)
I can buy it (in few months) and try but I am still waiting for the chips. I've ordered only the M25P40 from aliexpress and after that I've read bad things about the website (clones which may work or fake chips that do nothing). I don't know what to do if I order from better site it will be very expensive for me (and there is $14 shipping).
happy_bunny wrote: got the v3 boards today have not got a clue if they work need to check at the weekend but heres a pic
It looks really small, I am looking forward to see pictures how it fits.
marcus9199

Post by marcus9199 » Fri Nov 20, 2015 3:59 pm

@happy_bunny - I ended up using this from Digikey " 718-1148-1-ND" It's a 4.7uf 16v 1206 size. The ones I first tried were 0805 10v. I think that was my problem. The new ones seem to be working fine. I am having some problems with the HDMI port though. I have to find the sweet spot for the cable. If i just insert the hdmi all the way I get nothing I have to wiggle the cable to get picture. After I get picture everything is fine. This happens with all 3 of my boards, on multiple TVs with multiple cables. Have you ever seem this problem before? I am leaning toward it being the port itself but I am using two different brand ports one is molex and the other is TE Connectivity.
My wife took my Beer Away!!!!
marcus9199

Post by marcus9199 » Fri Nov 20, 2015 4:00 pm

@happy_bunny - By the way very excited for V3. It looks awesome thinks for all your work on this project.
My wife took my Beer Away!!!!
bronko

Post by bronko » Sun Nov 22, 2015 11:59 am

Really like how this project gets pushed forward, thanks to all participants for all the work they put in already!

I was wondering if anyone thought about making/cloning the connector of the cable for the digital port ?
It would be really great, no soldering or even opening the gamecube to enjoy HDMI output !
TALANTO

Post by TALANTO » Sun Nov 22, 2015 3:40 pm

@bronko
I have found this since a while.

Edit:
@happy_bunny
You probably know that but I've looked the v3 board and there is missing connection for pin 62 which is the SPDIF_Out [and Controller input for shuriken video with XC3S200A + gc video dvi].

If somebody wonders where is the SPDIF_Out for shuriken video with XC3S200A I've read the code and it should be pin 73.
Spoiler
Show
Attachments
v3 P62 and P73.png
(50.56 KiB) Not downloaded yet
ArtyBerne

Post by ArtyBerne » Mon Nov 23, 2015 3:15 pm

andre104623 wrote:I have since replaced all caps, resistors, and regs then tryed flashing the 0.2 update and 0.5 but no luck. One thing i did noticed is if i try to get a read back from the FPGA in impact it will fail. The SPI has been changed as well usually the bitsteam would load the FPGA config from SPI flash which is fine I can flash the SPI but if the read back is failing i would guess the FPGA is fried. Maybe it was the SPDIF or the TV i was using back feeding 5v then that could of done it I'm not really sure but the SPDIF was powered by the power rail of the cube so i really dont think that was the reason
Can you please post some more details here? What are the all hardware components?
What are the specifications of all the hardware components and the FPGA?
Also what is your firmware code?
Please post all the schematics also.
happy_bunny

Post by happy_bunny » Mon Nov 23, 2015 11:17 pm

@marcus9199

Not had that issue with the HDMI connectors but I would say thats the hardest part to solder though, maybe check that the 5v line going to the HDMI connector is good.

@TALANTO

Yer the serial flash connector was in the way so I didnt use pin62 will ask unseen to move the pin for v3 once I have checked the PCB actually works.

Well its passed the electrical tests :-)
20151123_230149.jpg
(1.67 MiB) Not downloaded yet
20151123_230220.jpg
(1.52 MiB) Not downloaded yet
will try and flash the serial flash next if that works I will put it in the cube at the weekend ;)
davidkanto

Post by davidkanto » Wed Nov 25, 2015 3:43 pm

Would anyone be able to install this for me on my GameCube
happy_bunny

Post by happy_bunny » Sat Nov 28, 2015 11:10 pm

sigh think I just KILLED my cube :-( looks like whilst installing the v3 board I shorted video line D1 to gnd and now when I switch on the fan runs but the yellow LED at the front dont come one. f*ck it just measured between 3.3V anf gnd getting 2 ohms so pissed off at myself :-( dont have another cube to try this board out on sigh :-(
TALANTO

Post by TALANTO » Sun Nov 29, 2015 11:26 am

What terrible news I am really sorry. You can look for fuses on the board or some other blown part that can be easily found and replaced.

You haven't shorted internal component you've shorted a port which is available for all users so I think that there must be fuses. Once I've shorted a DS Lite's slot 1 and it was just a fuse.

You can also check badassconsoles.com for another main board.

Edit:
If you have a luck may your power board be dead but it's cheap and available (http://www.badassconsoles.com/power-board/).
This should be the right picture, you can check for missing voltage:

Edit 2:
New idea, sometimes the thinnest traces can be fuses. I've repaired a radio with burnt trace from high current. A piece of wire and now works like new. The trace wasn't so thin but it was for 220v.
Attachments
7.png
(241.68 KiB) Not downloaded yet
zeruel85

Post by zeruel85 » Wed Dec 09, 2015 8:26 pm

Hello everybody.

I need a help with my Shuriken Video V1. I'm trying to program the M25P40 using flashrom with an RPi2. The flash memory is recognized flawlessly, but when I try to flash the 'spi_flash.bin' file it says that the file is too small (it expects a 512 kB file, but the bin is about 50 kB iirc).

Thanks for any help. :)
happy_bunny

Post by happy_bunny » Wed Dec 09, 2015 9:11 pm

not sure if this will work but you can try creating a bin file using

http://mh-nexus.de/en/hxd/

of size 512kb and full of 0xff and open up spi_flash.bin in the same program and copy & paste it to your new file save it and try flashing that.
zeruel85

Post by zeruel85 » Wed Dec 09, 2015 9:13 pm

Thank you for the quick reply. Do I have to replace the bytes starting from offset 0x0 and leaving blank the remaining bytes at the end of the 512 kB file?
happy_bunny

Post by happy_bunny » Wed Dec 09, 2015 9:53 pm

Yes from offset 0. If blank equals 0xff then yes. Try it like that if the fpga don't like what you programmed it will fail the checksum test and not boot.
zeruel85

Post by zeruel85 » Wed Dec 09, 2015 10:22 pm

Ok, I programmed the M25P40 and everything was good, also the verify was good. Thank you. Now I have to test it with the Cube. :D
TALANTO

Post by TALANTO » Thu Dec 10, 2015 6:45 pm

I also had to fill the whole memory but which one is blank 00 or FF? When new the chip was all with FFs.

@happy_bunny
My flash memory finally came, but there is an issue with your program and my computer. No matter with or without the chip it says:
Spoiler
Show
Opening parallel port LPT1
On windows system 2
Failed to start parallel port I/O driver!Failed to load parallel port driver!
Game over cant get a handle for the parallel port !
After that I've checked the sircuit I've found. There were three different soldering spots. I've moved those wires and tried with different parallel flasher (SPIPGM*) which supports the same flash memory (I've found it where the picture was):
If you want to use this method put 4x 100 ohm resistors and 1000uF cap. Erase the chip before program!
Spoiler
Show
But I didn't put a capacitor and the fourth resistor, I just wanted to test it. And it worked from the first try. Some info from the app:
Spoiler
Show

Code: Select all

SPI connected to LPT port at I/O base address: 378h, SCK pulse width: t+0us
FlashROM JEDEC ID, type: 202013h
ST Microelectronic/Numonyx M25P40 (512kB)
Status = 00h (SRP, AAI, BP3, BP2, BP1, BP0, WEL, BSY)
               0    0    0    0    0    0    0    0
After few minutes it sometimes started to get errors when verify. After about 20-30 minutes every verify was wrong with different number of errors at different addresses. I think that this may be from the missing parts, battery or bad chip.

*use "SPIPGMW.EXE" for >=Win9x, run it as administrator on Win7 or similar

May be helpful picture for someone, and what I've built:
Spoiler
Show
ImageImage
I've put the missing cap and 4th resistor. SPIPGM never faild again, I've tested it for more than 45 minutes.
Attachments
this.png
(39.15 KiB) Not downloaded yet
this.jpg
(139.81 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Last edited by TALANTO on Sat Dec 12, 2015 2:46 pm, edited 10 times in total.
happy_bunny

Post by happy_bunny » Thu Dec 10, 2015 10:03 pm

oop good catch I forgot to add I use a XP machine so I cant get direct access to IO port so I needed to install port95nt so the program trys to open the port using the not installed IO drives and gets an error and stops. I added this to my webpage

(note tested using a XP machine with port95nt drivers installed)

also linked to port95nt.exe as google for once dont have a clue where to find it !

"but which one is blank 00 or FF"

0xff I am about 99% sure.
TALANTO

Post by TALANTO » Fri Dec 11, 2015 9:12 pm

I also use XP for flashing.

OK, I'll install the driver. But before the test I wanted to recompile your flasher to use the same pins as SPIPGM so I don't have to resolder it back and forth. This is your code (the commented lines are what I've changed to):

#define SPI_POWER                1	// I don't know what's this
#define SPI_SI                   2	// 9 [or 8 if the index starts from 0]
#define SPI_CS                   4	// 7 [or 6]
#define SPI_CLK                  8	// 8 [or 7]
But your code and pin numbers on the picture you've given me don't match. Because of that I don't know if SPI_SI= 2 means MOSI on pin2, SPI_CS= 4 means CS on pin4, ... and where the pin count starts from (0 or 1).
Spoiler
Show
Edit: Maybe this answers my questions but please tell me if this is correct:

#define SPI_POWER                1
#define SPI_SI                   2	// 9
#define SPI_CS                   4	// 7
#define SPI_CLK                  8	// 8
happy_bunny

Post by happy_bunny » Fri Dec 11, 2015 11:09 pm

this is going to be hard to explain the D-TYPE pin numbers and the software reg numbers dont match.

D-TYPE pin1 is strobe (#define SPI_POWER) this should be called some better like #define SPI_SET_DATA_DIRECTION (it powers the output lines)

maybe this will help or confuse even more :-(
20151211_225643.jpg
(1.7 MiB) Not downloaded yet
so the #defines should be

#define SPI_POWER 1 /* select output (0 is input) data direction */
#define SPI_SI 128 /* D7 (pin 9) */
#define SPI_CLK 64 /* D6 (pin 8) */
#define SPI_CS 32 /* D5 (pin 7) */

thanks for making me think haven't played with this stuff in years :-)
TALANTO

Post by TALANTO » Sat Dec 12, 2015 2:39 pm

Of course I have to set all the data lines at once. If I was smart enough to make the decimal values binary I would figure it out. Now it does have sense:
Spoiler
Show
I've installed the driver (DLPortIO) and recompiled the program but after that only issues. I've got the same error with your app and the modified (with or without the chip connected):
Spoiler
Show
On windows system 2
Failed to start parallel port I/O driver!Failed to load parallel port driver!
My Win7 PC without parallel port (port95nt never installed) gives different error:
Spoiler
Show
Parallel port is in use!
Other than that spipgm started to fail again after long use. Removing the battery for few minutes fixed it:
Spoiler
Show
Verify ERROR at: 0002CE8Ah (3Ch <=> 1Ch)
Verify ERROR at: 0005B5E2h (CAh <=> 4Ah)
Verifying sector at: 0007F000h (100%)
2 verify error(s) occured.

Verify ERROR at: 00046701h (CCh <=> CDh)
1 verify error(s) occured.

Verify OK.
Attachments
addresses.png
(21.23 KiB) Not downloaded yet
happy_bunny

Post by happy_bunny » Sat Dec 12, 2015 10:27 pm

glad you got it and didnt get confused by my badly written notes :-) weird looks like it failing in start() if you put printf before all the return values in that function that my help track down the error. Do you have

c:\windows\system32\drivers\hwinterface.sys
TALANTO

Post by TALANTO » Sun Dec 13, 2015 5:05 pm

It actually doesn't crash. It works but really slow. For more than 10 minutes it was here:
Spoiler
Show
On windows system 2
setting ECP port to SPP bidirectional mode // stays about 3 minutes here
serial flash in idle state 0x00

Bulk erasing flash checking status...
status = 00
done!
programming code..
214 pages ...
programming at 3^C
I've canceled it and checked with spipgm and the chip was written up to 2FF and everything was correct. Also before the success I've removed the port95nt.
It's really nice that works but spipgm takes 11-12 seconds to program the whole 512kb (for my chip the writting is faster than reading). I think you should place the missing *.sys file in your website and write that it takes more than an hour (or even two ).
I'll short the MISO resistor with something and check the speed again.
Last edited by TALANTO on Mon Dec 14, 2015 6:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
happy_bunny

Post by happy_bunny » Sun Dec 13, 2015 8:24 pm

Lol it don't take more then 30 seconds to erase / program and verify on my system. Will dig out my copy of the *.sys file. So those resistors protect the chip as it's 3.3 volt and pc port runs at 5 volts. In my system I can't get the verify stage to work with the protection resistor in the MISO line. I think on my system with the resistor fitted the MISO line voltage was too low for repeatable good results.

ok uploaded that *.sys file if that dont work I really cant remember which i/o driver I used :-( (note to myself keep better track of third party drivers used in future coding projects).
TALANTO

Post by TALANTO » Sun Dec 13, 2015 9:26 pm

I didn't test anything, I don't have time now. I've just compared the two files and "The chosen files are identical".
Last edited by TALANTO on Mon Dec 14, 2015 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
happy_bunny

Post by happy_bunny » Sun Dec 13, 2015 11:13 pm

nightmare just killed another cube :-( all was working fine until I wired up the audio lines 19 to 22 then it died RIP. Somethings wrong with V3 layout :-( need to double check tomorrow.

Try with that MISO resistor removed see if that fixes the slow flashing.

EDIT:

Pin 5: 12V and PIn 19: ALR, are shorted on this V3 PCB layout the cube really dont like the shorting together of those lines :( sigh messed up again.

Oh I see it one of the 12v via's is to close to the ALR line dam only took two cubes for me to see that ~@?! it :-( sigh fixed it new boards ordered bloody thing.