Shuriken Video

Find all your GameCube topics here
TALANTO

Re: Shuriken Video

Post by TALANTO » Mon Dec 14, 2015 12:26 pm

Few crazy tests more with the same result: disabling the antivirus, running windows in safe mode (no driver), booting another windows from different HDD, removing the resistor.

I've tried something different. I've canceled the process just before "programming at 0" become "programming at 1" and the chip was completely empty (only FFs).
Spoiler
Show
Opening parallel port LPT1
On windows system 2
setting ECP port to SPP bidirectional mode
serial flash in idle state 0x00

Bulk erasing flash checking status...
status = 00
done!
programming code..
214 pages ...
programming at 0
The next time I've canceled it about a second later when it reached "programming at 1" and the blocks from 0-FF was written at once. So the actual writing takes a second or two. I've thought "There must be some kind of timing issue or waiting.", I've checked the code (of flasher) and there were few sleep(100) lines. I've removed those lines and tried again without the chip and bam this error in less than a second:
Spoiler
Show
On windows system 2
serial flash not idle! reporting state 0xff
The previous times (with the sleeps) it took about 2 minutes for the same result. Maybe you've uploaded the wrong file or sleep isn't implemented well.

I am waiting for your permission to program the chip without the sleeps or which ones to remove/change. Because removing wrong sleep can mess up everything.
happy_bunny

Post by happy_bunny » Mon Dec 14, 2015 4:32 pm

those sleeps are supposed to be 100ms sleeps, it looks like the compiler using seconds.

'The previous times (with the sleeps) it took about 2 minutes for the same result'

100 seconds / 60 seconds in a minute = 1.40 minutes (approx 2 minutes) reduce the sleep time to sleep(1) ie 1 second sleep it will still be 10 times slower then mine but it will be usable hopefully.
tueidj

Post by tueidj » Mon Dec 14, 2015 4:37 pm

Sleep() is a windows function that takes a timeout value in ms.
sleep() is a posix function that takes a timeout value in seconds.
Since you're compiling with mingw both functions will be defined, hence the mix-up.
TALANTO

Post by TALANTO » Mon Dec 14, 2015 5:00 pm

sleep(1) worked for me (I'll try sleep(.1)) but there is serious compatibility issue:
Spoiler
Show
On windows system 2
serial flash in idle state 0x00

Bulk erasing flash checking status...
status = 00
done!
programming code..
214 pages ...
programming at 213
done, verifying...
page 214 ok
done!
Your own app never modified works 1000 times slower on my pc. I am using exactly the same compiler as you Dev-C++ 5.9.0.

Edit:
@tueidj, thank you, I'll try it next.
Last edited by TALANTO on Mon Dec 14, 2015 5:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tueidj

Post by tueidj » Mon Dec 14, 2015 5:02 pm

sleep(.1) won't work because it expects an unsigned int. You can try using usleep() and multiply the original values by 1000, or just change "sleep" to "Sleep".
happy_bunny

Post by happy_bunny » Mon Dec 14, 2015 5:11 pm

glad you got it working :-)

'Your own app never modified works 1000 slower on my pc. I am using exactly the same compile as you Dev-C++ 5.9.0.'

thats really weird :-( maybe try the newer version

http://sourceforge.net/projects/orwelldevcpp/

I need to check which version I have on the xp machine tonight, @tueidj thanks.
TALANTO

Post by TALANTO » Mon Dec 14, 2015 5:18 pm

"Sleep(100);" works like a charm :).
TALANTO

Post by TALANTO » Wed Jan 13, 2016 8:59 pm

The next step has passed. I've received the boards:
Spoiler
Show
Bad luck, I am ordering the parts and the flash memory is sold out (more than a month to restock). I know, that I have few from aliexpress but I don't want to use them.

@happy_bunny
Can you I use different memory? Please give me a url or Farnell id. <- Doesn't matter I've already ordered.
One more question - how does the Shuriken Video display the interlaced picture?
Attachments
boards.jpg
(124.83 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Last edited by TALANTO on Thu Jan 14, 2016 8:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
meneerbeer

Post by meneerbeer » Thu Jan 14, 2016 8:30 am

TALANTO wrote:The next step has passed. I've received the boards:
Spoiler
Show
One more question - how does the Shuriken Video display the interlaced picture?
Are you going to use the small XC3S50 FPGA or the XC3S200?
With the XC3S200A you can enable the linedoubler to make 480i and 576i, 480p and 576p. Otherwise, 480i and 576i is what your TV will receive. For some TVs this is a problem, from what I heard.

Just give the flash from Aliexpress a try, I have good experience with flash from Aliexpress. What is the name of the flash you got?
TALANTO

Post by TALANTO » Thu Jan 14, 2016 11:00 am

It's MICRON M25P40-VMN6PB. I'll use XC3S50. Shuriken Video doesn't have linedoubler, right?
novenary

Post by novenary » Thu Jan 14, 2016 11:56 am

If you use the XC3S50 it doesn't, if you use the S200 it does.
happy_bunny

Post by happy_bunny » Thu Jan 14, 2016 9:10 pm

Can you I use different memory? Please give me a url or Farnell id.
if you look at xilinx app951 page 19 table 7 they have a list of flash devices that they recommend (no farnell part numbers though !).
how does the Shuriken Video display the interlaced picture?
If you have your TV manual around have a look at the HDMI spec its normally at the back of the manual. Older TV's dont like anything under 480p as the shuriken video dont have line doubling the image looks rubbish. If you have a newer TV that supports 480i / 576i then the image looks fine, basically the shuriken video just passes the image from the gc up to the TV and its up to the TV display it correctly (because of the lack of line doubling).

I would recommend trying to get hold of a TV that supports 480i / 756i as it will deinterlace the image correctly if you cant get hold of one, a XC3S200 with line doubling enabled is the next best option.
megalomaniac

Post by megalomaniac » Thu Jan 14, 2016 11:44 pm

happy_bunny wrote:
TALANTO wrote: how does the Shuriken Video display the interlaced picture?
If you have your TV manual around have a look at the HDMI spec its normally at the back of the manual. Older TV's dont like anything under 480p as the shuriken video dont have line doubling the image looks rubbish. If you have a newer TV that supports 480i / 576i then the image looks fine, basically the shuriken video just passes the image from the gc up to the TV and its up to the TV display it correctly (because of the lack of line doubling).

I would recommend trying to get hold of a TV that supports 480i / 756i as it will deinterlace the image correctly if you cant get hold of one, a XC3S200 with line doubling enabled is the next best option.
XC3S50 = ~10$
XC3S200 = ~20$

so what you are saying is to save ~10$ by purchasing an XC3S50 then try to find a TV to support it....????
wouldnt it be more wise to just spend the extra 10$ on the XC3S200 and not have to bother looking for a compatible TV?
emu_kidid wrote: beer is like WD40 for megalomaniac's brain, gets the gears moving
>>> BadAssConsoles.com <<<

Image Image Image