Swiss and GCoS wont boot disc

Find all your GameCube topics here
Codyjshaffer93

Swiss and GCoS wont boot disc

Post by Codyjshaffer93 » Tue Apr 21, 2015 10:25 pm

So I have Sonic Adventure 2 Battle and SSBM backups on sony double sided mini dvd-r's. Upon first putting them into my Gamecube and trying with GCoS 1.5 the discs could not be read (unrecognized media). So I read around online and adjusted my POT to around 200 maybe a little less. Afterwards I loaded up GCoS 1.5 and inserted my game and it read the disc, The table of contents popped up and game id and everything, but when i go to play game, it doesnt work. Ive tried auto detect region, force ntsc, just nothing works. Im really upset about this because I opened my gamecube to adjust the POT, and successfully did it only to have something else fail on me. Could it be the fact that I have a double sided mini dvd? but if that were the case then it would have trouble reading it and bringing up the TOC and the game banner and ID, but it does. So there is my problem. I have DOL-001 gamecube that I believe is chipped with a 2mbqoop chip but Im not to sure. Sometimmes I end up with a green screen in GCoS 1.x when launching game and disc stay spinning with green screen and im pretty sure with GCoS 1.5 I end up with a black screen and the disc stops.
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Re: Swiss and GCoS wont boot disc

Post by emu_kidid » Tue Apr 21, 2015 10:54 pm

As I mentioned before in PM, use Swiss from the nightly builds thread. If that fails, then it's your media that is rubbish. It doesn't take much effort to read the banner and other info that you're seeing successfully, but it's possible the laser struggles a lot harder to read the actual game contents after the main executable.

Being double sided media would most likely be the issue. Have a listen closely to the drive when the "black screen" occurs in Swiss, the drive will either stop or continuously try to read the same sector over and over.

Adjust your pot to 0 and try again or get better media.
Codyjshaffer93

Post by Codyjshaffer93 » Wed Apr 22, 2015 1:02 am

So the farthest Ive gotten is with my mini dvd-r back ups. They are recognized in Swiss.
I see a screen like this for my Sonic Adventure 2 Battle back up

[disc ] SA2B 1392.34mb
[picture] DIR [folder] event
total 1.36gb FILE A__mine.adx
free 76.87mb FILE advertiseD.rel
used 1.28gb FILE advShareData.prs

I run the game, it takes a while loading, screen goes green quick, then black and stays that way.

and for my SSBM back up
[disc ] SSBM 1392.34mb
[picture] DIR [folder] audio
total 1.36gb FILE DbCo.dat
free 32.19mb FILE EfCaData.dat
used 1.33gb FILE EfCoData.dat

Could it be my mini dvd-r's? maybe that they're double layered the it gets messed up when trying to read it? They're sony so they're not cheap media. Or could I have maybe backed-up my isis's the wrong way? I just don't think I created my disc or iso wrong because if I did then wouldn't it just not read it at all? Like if they were burned wrong wouldn't i have not received a banner or game id or anything like that when trying to run in GCoS?
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Post by emu_kidid » Wed Apr 22, 2015 4:31 am

The GC laser doesn't really like discs that you can see all the way through (double sided).
DragoonC

Post by DragoonC » Wed Apr 22, 2015 8:43 am

consoles never liked mediums wihtout print / label side. not only the gc :P
check out my website: