need help with repairs urgently

Find all your GameCube topics here
marioboy13

need help with repairs urgently

Post by marioboy13 » Sun Jul 10, 2016 10:02 am

Hey guys, very bad ass forum you got here.

here's my problem, i recently got back and old game cube i had from a friend. It wasn't working when i got it back or so he claimed but when i took it home and powered it up it came on but wasn't showing. Didn't notice if the drive was reading but when i switched out the av cord for a play station one it actually showed and i could've browsed the main screen and see my saves on the memory card from 6 years ago. After i took it off and tried to power it back on it wasn't coming on at all only the fan was spinning.

I googled and found out about the fuse fix for the power board so i scrapped it. i had to vacuum up alot of dust and debree from within the cube, i took the boards and drive apart and i got a 5A fuse and a fuse holder from an auto alarm harness i had and soldered it on to the F1 5A on the power board.(also noticed on my power board there's a F2 1.5A) When i did the solder i partially assembled the cube together and i got back power. So that was one problem out of the way.

the other one was that i wasn't getting any video at all..i did some research and they said that if your lens or drive system isn't functioning it wouldn't show. (my main board is powering normally i think because it heats up normally everytime i power it up, orange led and everything) i remembered i modded the game cube when i bought it at a game shop years back (Xeno chipped don't know which one because when i was testing it it was only giving a constant red light)

Which caused me massive problems now, since it was only showing constant red and no green or orange light i tried removing it from the drive board. while de soldering the chip the copper contacts from the board was stripped....
saw an alternate connection for resoldering it that i plan on trying but before i do i need some help first.

1) if those contacts were removed from the drive board, would that cause the drive board/lens/motor not to function?

2) the F2 fuse on the power board, should i solder that also like the F1 5A fuse fix?(don't have a multi meter so i was wondering if that fuse is blown if a portion of the board isn't receiving proper voltage eg, drive assembly)

3) since i fixed the 5a fuse i have no video not even if i try the ps2 cable (going to get another nintendo av cable soon) could the disk drive malfunction cause no video?

4)also the main board has something looking like a resistor with the code X2 it looks discolored (its just south of the heat sync for the ati chip) what is it?

an yhelp would be appreciated..
novenary

Re: need help with repairs urgently

Post by novenary » Mon Jul 11, 2016 7:07 am

Even if the drive isn't there you should be getting video output. It's not a reason for that to fail.
marioboy13

Post by marioboy13 » Mon Jul 11, 2016 10:38 pm

got a multimeter today. goin to test the 1.5a F2 on the power board and the x2 on the mother board, i figure that or the analog out has failed. tried my best cleaning out the analog out and still no video.. tried it on two different tv's with av outs and still no video. have another console shipping in but it will be good to have this one running so i could experiment on it.
marioboy13

Post by marioboy13 » Mon Jul 11, 2016 10:40 pm

also has anyone tried installing the xeno chip and ended up stripping the contacts like i did and their drive board still worked?
marioboy13

Post by marioboy13 » Tue Jul 12, 2016 1:14 am

ok i tested the power board and all fuses are good, the voltage i'm getting on the board is 11.77 VDC and 1.88VDC on the board is that normal?
megalomaniac

Post by megalomaniac » Tue Jul 12, 2016 7:17 am

Attachments
14.png
(241.68 KiB) Not downloaded yet
emu_kidid wrote: beer is like WD40 for megalomaniac's brain, gets the gears moving
>>> BadAssConsoles.com <<<

Image Image Image
marioboy13

Post by marioboy13 » Wed Aug 10, 2016 2:08 pm

ok heres an update , i bought a fresh console. the last one i'm guessing a cap is gone on the mainboard which causes the no video problem. i used the xeno chip on the new console, adjusted the pot and burned iso's using ridata blanks. was getting alot of errors burning at 1x speeds so started burning at 2x and that solved the issues. 4x some games work clean but some errors with mario so far. so its happy gaming from now. the xeno chip reads well with us,ntsc japan but for some reason pal games give problems showing think its my hdtv. it shows out of alignment and grey.