Wii Or Gamecube

Find all your GameCube topics here
k3nnis

Wii Or Gamecube

Post by k3nnis » Wed Jul 27, 2016 6:44 am

Hi All,

Hope this is not a silly question.
If I wanted to play mainly GC games (backups/multi region) should I even bother with a gamecube now or just keep the Wii? I have the older RVL001 Wii which has the GC ports.

Cheers,
K.
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Re: Wii Or Gamecube

Post by emu_kidid » Wed Jul 27, 2016 7:22 am

You're asking on a forum called GC-Forever if you should get a GameCube over a Wii, I think you know the unbiased answer most members will give.
k3nnis

Post by k3nnis » Wed Jul 27, 2016 7:41 am

Ok thanks. Just wanted to know are there any advantages in getting the GC in my situation besides GBA add on.
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Post by emu_kidid » Wed Jul 27, 2016 10:15 am

For the cool factor mainly :P
MarioMario66666

Post by MarioMario66666 » Wed Jul 27, 2016 10:29 am

The GameCube has much sharper Component output via the digital port (well a slight improvement at least)

You can play LAN on the GC and PSO via a cable via than wireless (cus' wires are just too cool)

Also the GameCube has a cooler name soooo. I mean common, your gonna play with your little Wii Wii sounds much worse.
Looking for:

Viper, Icedcube and Xcm cases.
Qoob, Viper and official Xeno modchips.
k3nnis

Post by k3nnis » Wed Jul 27, 2016 11:04 am

Lol thanks :)
Problem is component cable on GC costs too much :( unless you can point me to a better deal ? :)

I'm in a pal region so if I get a GC it will be a pal. Can I still get 480P? Say if I can play US GC titles using softmod or the loader disk.

Does the pal GC have RGB cable? Should I stick to RGB? Is the quality much better than composite? My tv doesn't have scart only component, will a scart to component adaptor work?

Cheers,
K.
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Post by emu_kidid » Wed Jul 27, 2016 11:39 pm

PAL GC can do 480p/576p via Swiss on games, without Swiss you're limited to 576i and some PAL60 games.

There's RGB on the analog port for RGB on the PAL GameCube, I've not tried it to confirm the quality but it's pretty good (not progressive).

Have a search on this forum for GameCube vs Wii comparisons of the video signal.
Sierron

Post by Sierron » Wed Jul 27, 2016 11:44 pm

k3nnis wrote:Problem is component cable on GC costs too much :( unless you can point me to a better deal ? :)
Only if you are lucky to find a seller who doesn't used the internet the last 10 years.
k3nnis wrote:'m in a pal region so if I get a GC it will be a pal. Can I still get 480P? Say if I can play US GC titles using softmod or the loader disk.
If the gamecube switches into NTSC mode you get the resolution. But isn't 480p only over component?
k3nnis wrote:Does the pal GC have RGB cable? Should I stick to RGB? Is the quality much better than composite?
Quality is better but some games might not use it much. NTSC games most likely don't is it at all (probably no video signal)
k3nnis wrote:My tv doesn't have scart only component, will a scart to component adaptor work?
I'm irritated. What is scart only component? You either have a scart port on your TV which supports RGB or not. Samsung TV's for example have an adapter with scart on one end an an EXT connector on the other side.
Scart to component adapter in terms of converter or direct adapter? Direct adapters might only use one or another format.

I had an vga to composite adapter which didn't work. My vga port already needed to send an composite signal for the adapter to work correct.
Own a couple PAL and JPN cubes. And three BBAs. Homeland and PSO I/II.
k3nnis

Post by k3nnis » Thu Jul 28, 2016 12:14 am

Ok thanks guys. My TV only have ocmponent inputs not the scrat RGB type. But I heard there are Scart RGB Adaptors to component?
Diminuendo

Post by Diminuendo » Thu Jul 28, 2016 4:11 am

If you are not using the GBA player and don't want to shell out for a component cable I would absolutly recommend a Wii, I would call the Wii Component the next best option for video quality to the GC Component cable.

Wii hacking takes a little bit of playing around but Swiss more or less works identically to the GC on the Wii, and with Swiss you can turn a lot of PAL titles progressive.

a Wii playing Gamecube games is the very close second in terms of video quality for a fraction of the price of a GC with a component cable. I honestly dont know why other people havent endorced it.

Edit: also, check out this video
k3nnis

Post by k3nnis » Thu Jul 28, 2016 5:38 am

Thanks for your reply. Can I ask why does a GC using component have better quality than Wii using component both playing GC games?

Also is Wii component playing GC games better quality than GC playing GC games using composite?
theclaw

Post by theclaw » Thu Jul 28, 2016 10:38 am

Sierron wrote:If the gamecube switches into NTSC mode you get the resolution. But isn't 480p only over component?

I'm irritated. What is scart only component? You either have a scart port on your TV which supports RGB or not. Samsung TV's for example have an adapter with scart on one end an an EXT connector on the other side.
Scart to component adapter in terms of converter or direct adapter? Direct adapters might only use one or another format.

I had an vga to composite adapter which didn't work. My vga port already needed to send an composite signal for the adapter to work correct.
Yes, component is needed for GC or Wii to get 480p. Not counting things like VGA mods.
480p isn't standard for scart RGB. Don't expect many devices to input or output that way.
k3nnis wrote:Thanks for your reply. Can I ask why does a GC using component have better quality than Wii using component both playing GC games?

Also is Wii component playing GC games better quality than GC playing GC games using composite?
Wii component is the quickest cheapest way to get 480p. At the very least it'll look better than GC composite on HDTVs, since 480p isn't interlaced.

Part of the quality difference is the chip used. Wii makes component internally. On a GC the component is an external conversion from the digital AV port. Beyond that is too technical for me.

If you want to understand scart better... Good luck. Not only can it be used for composite or RGB, sometimes you'll see s-video or even component. Though when scart gets mentioned here, we're most likely referring to RGB over a European-type cable. (JP21 is a common name for English discussion of Japanese's incarnation of scart)
noobcube

Post by noobcube » Thu Jul 28, 2016 11:12 am

Although I generally prefer Gamecube games, the Wii is a more practical and convenient console for me as it works with USB loaders (Nintendont) and has an inexpensive component output which works well with my Trinitron. I'd say that Wii component looks considerably better than the Gamecube's composite output.
Extrems

Post by Extrems » Thu Jul 28, 2016 12:05 pm

Even Wii composite looks better than GameCube composite, unless you're missing a 2D or 3D comb filter.
k3nnis

Post by k3nnis » Thu Jul 28, 2016 12:40 pm

Thanks. Looks like I will stick with the Wii. The component cable costs way too much for the GC. How about scart RGB GC vs component Wii playing back GC games. Which one has better quality?
Sierron

Post by Sierron » Thu Jul 28, 2016 1:56 pm

For gamecube games:
GC Component > Wii Component > RGB Scart > GC/Wii composite = GC/Wii S-Video
k3nnis

Post by k3nnis » Thu Jul 28, 2016 11:13 pm

Thanks. I want the GC because the console itself looks nicer than the Wii :) but my wallet tells me otherwise lol due to component cable cost of GC. Will have to stick with Wii component unless I want composite on GC which by the sounds of it is not a good idea....

Also silly question, if I was to play a gamecube game in a wii with a gamecube controller, do I need the wii remote active for it to recognize the GC controller?
Sierron

Post by Sierron » Fri Jul 29, 2016 7:16 am

k3nnis wrote:Thanks. I want the GC because the console itself looks nicer than the Wii :)
Well, the wii is nothing more than 3 dvd boxes glued together ;)
k3nnis wrote:but my wallet tells me otherwise lol due to component cable cost of GC.
Well, wait for the GC-Video to be released. You will get your GC component then :)
k3nnis wrote:Will have to stick with Wii component unless I want composite on GC which by the sounds of it is not a good idea
Well, it isn't thaaat bad. It's just doesn't look too great on HD TV's.
k3nnis wrote:Also silly question, if I was to play a gamecube game in a wii with a gamecube controller, do I need the wii remote active for it to recognize the GC controller?
No, you don't. You just need the wii controller to interact with the wii menu and boot the gc disc. After that the wii switches into the gamecube mode. As far as I remember the wii doesn't recognize wii controllers after switching into gc mode.
k3nnis

Post by k3nnis » Fri Jul 29, 2016 1:16 pm

Thanks. Where's the cheapest place to buy GC component cable? :)
Diminuendo

Post by Diminuendo » Sun Jul 31, 2016 5:21 am

Ebay - expect to pay at least $250.
k3nnis

Post by k3nnis » Mon Aug 01, 2016 4:04 am

ok thanks. Too much :(

May need to settle with PAL RGB Scart cables.
noobcube

Post by noobcube » Mon Aug 01, 2016 5:30 am

Sierron wrote:For gamecube games:
GC Component > Wii Component > RGB Scart > GC/Wii composite = GC/Wii S-Video
GC S-video looks noticeably sharper than GC/Wii composite.

A Wii essentially becomes a Gamecube upon entering Gamecube mode. The hardware is set to Gamecube specifications and all Wii functions, like wireless, Wii remotes, etc... are disabled. Thus, only Gamecube controllers will work in Gamecube mode.

However, it is possible to play Gamecube games in Wii mode using either Devolution or Nintendont. Both allow the use of wireless controllers (Wii remote plus nunchuk, classic controllers, etc...) and load from either SD or USB. Devolution requires the original disc for verification, while Nintendont does not. Nintendont can even run GC game discs from the drive.
Castellano

Post by Castellano » Wed Oct 05, 2016 12:23 am

Gamecube can play the GBA games via the Gameboy Player, play Homeland and PSO via Ethernet rather than WiFi, able to tunnel Kirby's Air Ride, Mario Kart Double Dash, and 1080 Avalanche through LAN tunneling.

Also there's an orange Gamecube. Is there an orange Wii? Thought not. :P