New to HOMEBREW, SWISS, & GBI. Need help!

Find all your GameCube topics here
KJonline

Re: New to HOMEBREW, SWISS, & GBI. Need help!

Post by KJonline » Sat Jul 21, 2018 6:57 am

ok everything FINALLY came in. I got my GC, GBP, and my SDML w/a 2gb SD card all ready to go!

and its hooked up to my HDTV so i can see the screen as I change the system to 60hz 480i before i hook it back up to my CRT.

Im new to homberew remember lol. ... so how do I do all this?

ive come so far and spent so much money. im not giving up. i want my GB, GBC, and GBA on my CRT via RGB in 240P!!! :)
KJonline

Post by KJonline » Sat Jul 21, 2018 6:28 pm

UPDATE: Ok i took the time to mess with everything last night. I downloaded SWISS and thrww versions of GBI homebrew and put them onto my SD card for my GC.

I was able to get into SWISS and change the video setting to 480i.

However, my main issue now is how do i SAVE SETTINGS, so that whenever i turn back on my GC, it'll already be on or go to 480i? ...its keeps booting back up to 576p

there has to be a way to save the resolution settings within the GC right? ...so i dont have to keep doing it manually durring a flipping screen.

Also, is there a way to have the GC boot straight to SWISS or GBI? I read ther was, but i never could get that to work.

we're almost there, bro! ...hit me up when you get a chance.
novenary

Post by novenary » Sun Jul 22, 2018 11:43 am

I don't have an sdml, but I think it'll boot an autoload.dol or autoexec.dol directly if you have one on your SD card. Swiss will save your settings to SD and load then on boot.
KJonline

Post by KJonline » Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:29 am

EVERYTHING WORKS! FINALLY!
Could not have done it without your help, and my friends.
Just wanted to say thanks, bro.

Now for the final questions regarding GBI so I can get the best experience....

1. I'm aware there's three versions of GBI. The high-fidelity is the one with the lowest input lag, correct?

2. I believe the description of the input lag on the high fidelity was a .45 to 1.00ms. I'll also be using a raphnet GC TO SNES controller adaptor that has 4ms max (¼ of a frame). Overall that is 5ms at most on my CRT. ... Will that be noticeable or felt at all?

3. There are so many settings to play with on gbi. I read that 240p is the sharpest picture for CRT. Are you familiar with any of the other settings, and do you recommend any other settings for the best possible experience?
novenary

Post by novenary » Wed Jul 25, 2018 5:13 pm

1) No, high fidelity is meant to be used with external post processing (ossc, capture device). The speed running edition is most likely what you want.

2) Input lag of even a few frames is hardly noticeable if at all. Try if for yourself.

3) I've hardly played with gbi at all, you should ask this in the gbi thread directly. There's a good deal of documentation on the wiki as well.
yunyan99

Post by yunyan99 » Sat Jan 19, 2019 7:50 pm

you can buy a Us/Jpn(NTSC) NGC Console , with RGBS output(480i+480p,RGBS NTSC,60HZ), From me. ^_^ Price : 80$
KJonline

Post by KJonline » Tue Jan 22, 2019 4:03 pm

yunyan99 wrote:
Sat Jan 19, 2019 7:50 pm
you can buy a Us/Jpn(NTSC) NGC Console , with RGBS output(480i+480p,RGBS NTSC,60HZ), From me. ^_^ Price : 80$
Interesting... Where do you have it posted? Ebay?
Srandista

Post by Srandista » Sat Jan 26, 2019 10:09 pm

Hi guys. All of my questions are related to this topic, so I hope that's fine if I hijack this thread.

I'm completely new to GameCube, but I tried to gather as much info as I was able to, but still missing some things, which I want to ask about.

I bought PAL DOL-001 GC, SD Gecko and 251 memory card, Game Boy Player and PAL Splinter Cell game. I want to run Swiss from memory card and then homebrew and some games from SD card, using Splinter Cell save game exploit, plus Game Boy games via GBI.

So here are 3 question, which I still don't know answer to:
1. Do I need to have GBI on memory card with Swiss and save game, or is it enough to have it on SD card, if I want to play GB games only occasionally?
2. Can I update Swiss on memory card, even if I don't have hacked Wii in my possession? (I most likely find someone with one to initial upload of Swiss on memory card, but I don't want to buy one, if avoidable).
3. Can Swiss work with trimmed ISOs of GC games, or I always have to use full 1,35GB images of games? If yes, what tool I can use for it?

Thank you very much!
novenary

Post by novenary » Sun Jan 27, 2019 8:39 am

1) If you have Swiss on your memory card then that's enough, you can load anything from SD with it.
2) You can update the memory card on the GC itself with either Swiss or GCMM, but be careful not to lock yourself out with no Swiss file on your memory card. Alternatively, you can just put new Swiss versions on your SD card as /boot.dol. Swiss will pick that up and load it. Or even use one of these to be safe and save space on your memory card.
3) Swiss should work with scrubbed images, but it't not recommended as those can introduce compatibility issues of their own. I don't have any tool I can recommend as I always use full-sized disc images.
Srandista

Post by Srandista » Sun Jan 27, 2019 3:58 pm

Thank you for your time!

DoLaunchers indeed looks interesting. Does the broexec works with other save exploits then SSBM (like FIX94 ones)? It seems like really good idea, but it looks like I'm unable test that in Dolphin.
novenary

Post by novenary » Sun Jan 27, 2019 8:49 pm

It should work, but I've never tested any of this. I use hardware mods.
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Post by emu_kidid » Sun Jan 27, 2019 9:53 pm

Swiss can also load DOL files from memory card
Srandista

Post by Srandista » Mon Jan 28, 2019 9:55 pm

Yeah, I know, I plan to use Swiss for loading DOLs, but Swiss itself is taking quite a lot of space on MC (I have only 251 one). I also want to be able to update Swiss to later versions, which would be a lot easier, if Swiss would be just an DOL executable on SD Gecko rather then GCI on memory card.
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Post by emu_kidid » Thu Jan 31, 2019 12:15 pm

Srandista wrote:
Mon Jan 28, 2019 9:55 pm
Yeah, I know, I plan to use Swiss for loading DOLs, but Swiss itself is taking quite a lot of space on MC (I have only 251 one). I also want to be able to update Swiss to later versions, which would be a lot easier, if Swiss would be just an DOL executable on SD Gecko rather then GCI on memory card.
Ah yeah, I've been meaning to make a version without a static backdrop now that the new UI backend is in place this should be very possible.
novenary

Post by novenary » Fri Feb 01, 2019 10:26 am

KJonline wrote:
Tue Jan 22, 2019 4:03 pm
Interesting... Where do you have it posted? Ebay?
This somehow ended up as a moderation report, so I'll relay it here:
yunyan99 wrote: I m a chinese (my home is sited near beijing), only SF-EXPRESS & EMS can Express to TO JPN TAIWAI HONGKONG ,SORRY,MAYBE YOU NEED A Purchasing website。

NGC-RGBS
http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XMzI5MTI5N ... lts.dtitle

PS2-GODMARS EDITION
http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XMTgwNjMzM ... ge1.5!18~A

YOU CAN JOIN IN MY QQ-GROUP:193736451
snowekim

Post by snowekim » Fri Jun 28, 2019 10:00 pm

I have a very similar question, recently I decided I wanted to play my Gb/GBC/GBA collection on my tv. So I decided to go the GameCube + gamecube player way...

What I have right now

- NTSC Gamecube
- Gameboy player( no disc)
- SD adapter
- xeno mod chip( haven't installed yet)
- Carby HDMI to connect to my 4k tv
- SNES controller adapter
- 0 GameCube games

My plan so far:

-hard mod the cube and load Swiss through a miniDvd
-execute GBI from the SD Adapter

My problem so far is that I don't have a DVD burner compatible with miniDVDs, so buying one + some miniDVDs would be at least 50 USD ( already spent 200 USD)...

So I've been pondering my options, I don't have a Wii nor any cube game at the moment to try the soft mods using a memory card. That is why I decided to go the xenomod way.

So considering my circumstances, I would like to know your opinion on the following questions:

1- is Booting Swiss from a miniDVD + GBI from the SD adapter, better than the memory card soft mods?

2- going the miniDVD way, would it be possible to autorun the GBI as soon as I turn on the console?

Thanks!
snowekim

Post by snowekim » Sun Jun 30, 2019 5:30 pm

Papy.G

Post by Papy.G » Mon Jul 01, 2019 4:35 pm

If you're not already set up for GC mini DVD bruning, it can be quite risky to go this way at first. Check around in your neigbourhood or relatives if you can't get hold of a modded cube or capable wii, and an exploitable gamecube game, there are both very good ones that are worth to get, and cheap ones too.
Passed this first "hard" step, it would be easy, while you can spend time on your PC trying to burn DVDs.
DMG/MultiFreq OC/EDGB/EZF Jr, AGB/SC miniSD, NTR/NeoMK3, USG/flashme V8/SC miniSD
DOL001(EUR)/RGB/GCPlug/GBP/SD2SP2, RVL 001(EUR)/RGB/CMP/WiiSD

Zelda WW with Tingle Tuner in split screen was what the GC RF modulator was made for! (Video)
snowekim

Post by snowekim » Mon Jul 01, 2019 8:09 pm

Papy.G wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 4:35 pm
If you're not already set up for GC mini DVD bruning, it can be quite risky to go this way at first. Check around in your neigbourhood or relatives if you can't get hold of a modded cube or capable wii, and an exploitable gamecube game, there are both very good ones that are worth to get, and cheap ones too.
Passed this first "hard" step, it would be easy, while you can spend time on your PC trying to burn DVDs.
Hopefully everything goes fine, already bought the DVD writer and a stack of Ritek Ridata...
snowekim

Post by snowekim » Sun Jul 14, 2019 3:24 am

Extrems wrote:
Fri Jun 28, 2019 10:19 pm
So finally i got almost everything to get started, i decided to burn 2 DVDS, one for swiss and one for GBI(boot.gcm).

I decided to start very basic, followed the steps in the wiki for DVD + SDCARD, and renamed gbi.dol to boot.dol.

If i start the gamecube with SWISS disc on, Swiss autoboot the GBI just fine.
But with the GBI(boot.gcm) disc, after the gamecube starts I get no image. any idea why this could be happening?

Edit:

Found the issue!

Seems like carby has a setting for "Allow 480p mode", when it's on, some GBI resolutions won't work like 240p for example, still don't understand why swiss takes different default values than GBI(boot.gcm)