Purchase a NTSC cube or continue on PAL?

Find all your GameCube topics here
Cogswell

Purchase a NTSC cube or continue on PAL?

Post by Cogswell » Sun Jul 22, 2018 1:19 pm

Hello all
Just getting into buying Gamecube games again and I know someone who has a NTSC mtoherboard Gamecube with a HDMI/region free mod and I'm thinking about purchasing it
I only have a few PAL titles at the moment and I'm thinking about squashing those and starting off a new NTSC collection due to it having the benefit of progressive scan in their games..(I Know some PAL games allow progressive scan but not all) Would it be worth doing this?
Could I not just purchase a NTSC console/games?
Are there any downsides to Playing/Collecting NTSC Games being based in the UK as pose to sticking to my PAL console and continuing to purchasing PAL games?
I don't mind purchasing all my games NTSC if it means I can play them all with better quality just curious if theres any downsides to this.. What other methods are available using a PAL console?
Maybe a chip which attempts to force Progressive scan on start up automatically?
I Know there is a Swiss boot option but I'm not sure how that works, I 'm guessing it would involve starting up the console, booting Swiss, inserting the game, enabling progressive scan, then rebooting into the game again. This seems a lot longer than an NTSC console which I imagine is just inserting the game, enabling progressive scan, and playing (Just a guess) Once again I'm not sure if my information is correct and would really appreciate if someone could help me out, I have tons of questions and it would be great to receive some accurate information.
boredomca

Re: Purchase a NTSC cube or continue on PAL?

Post by boredomca » Sun Jul 22, 2018 9:05 pm

Swiss is your best bet for what it sounds like you want. Just need a way to implement the software so you could buy that guys cube and install a chip that allows Swiss. The cheapest way would be XENO but then you would need to load backups but it sounds like you want to play OEM games so that makes things ever harder.
novenary

Post by novenary » Sun Jul 22, 2018 10:27 pm

boredomca wrote:
Sun Jul 22, 2018 9:05 pm
Swiss is your best bet for what it sounds like you want. Just need a way to implement the software so you could buy that guys cube and install a chip that allows Swiss. The cheapest way would be XENO but then you would need to load backups but it sounds like you want to play OEM games so that makes things ever harder.
What the hell are you on about? You can play retail games just fine with Swiss and/or with any modchip.
I think it would be more trouble than it's worth to find NTSC games for your collection considering you live in PAL territory. Since the guy has a "region free" mod, it's pretty likely that it'll allow you to boot burned discs as well. You can use that to load Swiss and then force progressive scan on a retail disc, or rip your games and play them off of an SD card which is a lot more convenient and will reduce the wear on your disc drive.
boredomca

Post by boredomca » Sun Jul 22, 2018 10:43 pm

The real question is if it's a mod chip or just a region switch. As he didn't say we don't know and he can't play his disks if he needs a Swiss DVD to implement the settings he wants, his post makes it sound like he wants to play his original games and not roms on SD.
I didn't want to assume and get his hopes up
novenary

Post by novenary » Mon Jul 23, 2018 4:55 pm

A region switch would be a problem. Better ask before you buy.
Cogswell

Post by Cogswell » Mon Jul 23, 2018 5:38 pm

Thanks for the replies guys.