Why did the gamecube 'fail'?

Find all your GameCube topics here
KirovAir

Why did the gamecube 'fail'?

Post by KirovAir » Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:36 am

I never really understood why the Gamecube sold so bad.
In my opinion it looked great, I loved the controller, and the lineup of games. Graphics were on par the PS2/Xbox too.
Might be the lack of third party titles, but why did third party's lose faith in the Gamecube in the first place? It seemed that they gave up immediately after it's release, which is a shame since it's a great piece of hardware.

Also, why did games had such bad LAN/Online support? The Modem/BBA was working fine, and when playing double dash on LAN, I can't really spot any problems.
"The only thing more dangerous than a hardware guru with a code patch is a programmer with a soldering iron."
yamaharacer

Re: Why did the gamecube 'fail'?

Post by yamaharacer » Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:55 am

1,45gb of disc size was a little bit to small for some developers. just look on some ps2 titles. there are games which are bigger than a 4,7gb dvd and needs a dual layer. why ps2 and nintendo dont support network online gaming is easy. at that time they thought there are not enough people who have a broadband internet connection. by the way there are just a hand full of games which supports lan/network gaming. and the most games which support internet gaming (just one PSO) supported the bba but only with modem speed. so there wasnt any need to buy a expensive bba when the modem was sufficient.

after the gamcube got hacked via the PSO game the BBA disappeared from the market.
Cubelover

Post by Cubelover » Tue Feb 15, 2011 12:20 pm

It's because of the "kiddy" image of the gamecube.
ct_the_1

Post by ct_the_1 » Tue Feb 15, 2011 12:31 pm

I think the missing Full-DVD support, so you could watch dvds, like with the Q.

Also interesting: http://www.maunderlust.com/why-the-gamecube-failed/
ct_the_1 (currently very busy and rarely online)

yamaharacer

Post by yamaharacer » Tue Feb 15, 2011 12:40 pm

Cubelover wrote:It's because of the "kiddy" image of the gamecube.
thats it but its also a circle. the developers had it in their hands what software they realese on it. and it seems they wanted the gamecube should be a kiddi console.
Matron

Post by Matron » Tue Feb 15, 2011 1:39 pm

That's simple: The Industry didn't want Nintendo as hardware maker. The same that they did with Sega.

The reason? Because Nintendo can make software to promote their hardware, which come into competition with third-party's games. But this is idiot third-parties, just make better software. So many kids bought a NES for play Mario, others to play Duck Tales, Mega Man, etc.

What happen with Wii? Oh wait, Wii is just a slightly upgraded Gamecube. FACEPALM. Wii is a repetition of NES and his philosophy. That's why Wii wins.

PD: A message for all the people who say "GCN fail because was kiddy". WRONG, when GCN received "mature" games, the sales went down.

Wanna more info? Just read The World-Wide Sex Symbol for Women.
gtmtnbiker

Post by gtmtnbiker » Tue Feb 15, 2011 4:30 pm

The PS2 was the big winner of last generation. I think this was because it drew from the same people who bought PS1 (which was also a big success) and it had DVD playback support.

The Wii was a big hit this generation because it attracted the casual gamers (e.g, moms & dads, grandparents, etc).
Matron

Post by Matron » Tue Feb 15, 2011 5:03 pm

gtmtnbiker wrote:The PS2 was the big winner of last generation. I think this was because it drew from the same people who bought PS1 (which was also a big success) and it had DVD playback support.

The Wii was a big hit this generation because it attracted the casual gamers (e.g, moms & dads, grandparents, etc).
The reality is the "casual gamers" for the industry are the kids. For Nintendo they're new costumers. Wii and DS were a big hit because they're blue ocean strategies.

I must remember that Microsoft is the one who letting go 1000 million of dollars to various companies to avoid the development of their games on the (GameCube) + Destroy completly Nintendo just what they did with Sega.
kevstah2004

Post by kevstah2004 » Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:01 pm

Sony's aggressive marketing for the PS2.
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Post by emu_kidid » Wed Feb 16, 2011 1:15 am

If you looked at it from a global point of view, you could see it as failure compared to the ps2/xbox. I tend to look at consoles "failing" from the personal experience/amount of fun that I had with the games and the console. For example, my PS3 has been "fail" for a while, haven't even powered it on in a few months cause there's so much I still want to play on Wii/GC/PS2.

Gamecube to me was probably one of the greatest consoles - even though it did have a short shelf life.. There was so much 4 player action, almost on par with the amount I played on the N64, if not more - I'm sure the Smash Bros Melee records on my memory card should show that :p Not to mention other great games such as Luigis Mansion, Zelda (many), Mario Kart, F-Zero, the list goes on.

N64 was possibly better because it was the first time around for many of the 3D adventure games such as Super Mario 64, Donkey Kong, Ocarina of Time and not to mention FPS's like Goldeneye and Perfect Dark. Thinking back to when I first played OoT and DK64, the amount of joy and happiness I had as I looked forward to the gameplay that lied ahead.. ah.. I have not had that feeling with a new game for a while (since Twilight Princess in 2006/07!).
gtmtnbiker

Post by gtmtnbiker » Wed Feb 16, 2011 1:43 am

emu_kidid wrote:If you looked at it from a global point of view, you could see it as failure compared to the ps2/xbox. I tend to look at consoles "failing" from the personal experience/amount of fun that I had with the games and the console. For example, my PS3 has been "fail" for a while, haven't even powered it on in a few months cause there's so much I still want to play on Wii/GC/PS2.
The xbox sold around 24M while the Cube sold 22M. I would consider that to be even. I do agree that the Cube is a great console considering how many good first party games were on it. I enjoyed Windwaker, Four Swords, Mario Party 6 & 7, Mario Kart Double Dash, Paper Mario TTYD and still have a bunch more to play.
kevstah2004

Post by kevstah2004 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 8:35 am

Xbox was the most powerful though, and Halo was marketed to death the Cube did well to survive the Dreamcast didn't stand a chance.
Matron

Post by Matron » Thu Feb 17, 2011 2:00 pm

kevstah2004 wrote:Xbox was the most powerful though, and Halo was marketed to death the Cube did well to survive the Dreamcast didn't stand a chance.
Who cares the horse power? Wii is winning and is FAR WEAK than PS3/360, more than between Dreamcast and PS2/GCN. Oh, and you should try Rogue Leader/Rebel Strike to see the GCN power.
kevstah2004

Post by kevstah2004 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 9:49 pm

Graphics sells games, Nintendo's market is niche buys and younger gamers, it's why they have next to no violent games or games targeted to adult gamers.
Matron

Post by Matron » Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:51 pm

kevstah2004 wrote:Graphics sells games, Nintendo's market is niche buys and younger gamers, it's why they have next to no violent games or games targeted to adult gamers.
Then why N64 and GCN fail? Playable content sells games, with it sells hardware that run that games.
yamaharacer

Post by yamaharacer » Fri Feb 18, 2011 2:16 pm

n64 modules were to expensive compared with the ps1 cds.