Trouble read DVD-R disc on hardmod

Find all your GameCube topics here
OG Style

Trouble read DVD-R disc on hardmod

Post by OG Style » Thu Feb 14, 2019 8:13 pm

I installed Xeon mod chip in my Gamecube and I am having some trouble. I have adjusted the laser and it will only read one of my three different type of disc. The game crashes shortly after running loading it. I tried this mod chip on 4 different unit and only one will read the backups. I have Verbatim, Memorex and JVC. The JVC is the only one that will read. It is a mini disc. The Verbatim and Memorex are regular dvd's. The Gamecubes are DOL-001's. I burn't the disc using Imgburn and I tried two different burners. Does anyone have any ideas why only one disc will work and the game keeps crashing? Is there anything I need to do to the image before I burn the disc?

Thank you
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Re: Trouble read DVD-R disc on hardmod

Post by emu_kidid » Tue Feb 19, 2019 8:34 am

OG Style wrote:
Thu Feb 14, 2019 8:13 pm
I installed Xeon mod chip in my Gamecube and I am having some trouble. I have adjusted the laser and it will only read one of my three different type of disc. The game crashes shortly after running loading it. I tried this mod chip on 4 different unit and only one will read the backups. I have Verbatim, Memorex and JVC. The JVC is the only one that will read. It is a mini disc. The Verbatim and Memorex are regular dvd's. The Gamecubes are DOL-001's. I burn't the disc using Imgburn and I tried two different burners. Does anyone have any ideas why only one disc will work and the game keeps crashing? Is there anything I need to do to the image before I burn the disc?

Thank you
There are several posts all over this forum about this.

The GameCube is REALLY picky with what media it will read from the disc drive, if by "the game crashes" you mean it says that it has encountered a read error and can't continue then you'll need to try better media. Try adjusting the laser to 0 ohms if you're desperate and giving it a good clean with isopropyl alcohol as well.
OG Style

Post by OG Style » Tue Feb 19, 2019 1:21 pm

Zero ohms? I thought that your not supposed to go that low because it will ruin the laser. Is it safe? Mine is at 400 ohms.

Thanks
Aleron Ives

Post by Aleron Ives » Wed Feb 20, 2019 10:09 am

The lower you set the laser, the better it will be at reading poor media, and the sooner the laser will burn out completely. It's your choice: if the laser won't read your media as is then your GameCube is already kind of useless, so you don't have anything to lose by making the laser stronger. It's definitely a last resort, so try better media first if you have that option.
OG Style

Post by OG Style » Wed Feb 20, 2019 9:48 pm

The laser is reading original Gamecube games fine. I have read that the verbatim disc that I am using work.
Aleron Ives

Post by Aleron Ives » Thu Feb 21, 2019 2:45 am

Well, how badly do you want to read DVD-Rs? Burned discs are at least 20% less reflective than pressed discs, so you need a stronger laser to read them. Your laser will die sooner if you crank it up so it can read burned media.
OG Style

Post by OG Style » Thu Feb 21, 2019 1:30 pm

I understand that. I just don't want to drop the resistance to low and burn the laser up when it try's to read a disc.
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Post by emu_kidid » Mon Feb 25, 2019 9:39 pm

There's a 150 ohm resistor inline after the potentiometer so it's not like you can run it and burn it out immediately with 0 ohm on the potentiometer. Factory launch day consoles shipped at 450-550 ohms and then the later DOL-101's shipped at 150-200 ohms, I've only gone down to 0 ohm on a GC where the laser was struggling to read originals at 150 ohm and it seems to have helped it for a few months.
OG Style

Post by OG Style » Sun Mar 03, 2019 1:27 pm

I dropped the resistance all the way down and it was little help. At about 150 ohms the regular Verbatim started reading. I was unable to get the Memorex to read at all. the disc that did read would only work for a short time then the system would crash.

Thanks