First modchip recommendations?

Find all your GameCube topics here
Gamecube_everyday

First modchip recommendations?

Post by Gamecube_everyday » Thu Jun 06, 2019 2:38 am

I'm looking in to getting a nintendo gamecube modchip!

Any first chip recommendations?
:ugeek: :D :ugeek: :D :ugeek: :D :ugeek:
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Re: First modchip recommendations?

Post by emu_kidid » Fri Jun 07, 2019 3:16 am

Gamecube_everyday wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 2:38 am
I'm looking in to getting a nintendo gamecube modchip!

Any first chip recommendations?
If you really want to do a hardmod, I'd have to say XenoGC, or any clone of it. Simply because it's the easiest to find these days and readily available. If you want the "best" in terms of how quick it is to boot to homebrew code, I'd say Qoob Pro, but it's dated (and has USB issues interfacing with modern OS's) and hard to find.

SD Media Launcher by Datel/CodeJunkies is easy to find and will let you boot homebrew/Swiss and won't require you to mod your console either. It'll also boot said homebrew pretty much as fast as what a XenoGC would.
Papy.G

Re: First modchip recommendations?

Post by Papy.G » Tue Jun 11, 2019 12:29 pm

Ali has Xeno GC clones for damn cheap, but still, there are game exploits that may run SWISS quite fast, and won't cost more than the WiiSD (SD Gecko clone), that you may need even with a hardmod, assuming you already have one of those exploit-able games*, if you manage to gather the hardware to get started (borrow it or get help from somebody that already did it).

For your GC's Sanity, it would still be better not to modify it.

*Among those games, many are "killer games", such that it isn't worth having a GC if you don't own at least one of those.
DMG/MultiFreq OC/EDGB/EZF Jr, AGB/SC miniSD, NTR/NeoMK3, USG/flashme V8/SC miniSD
DOL001(EUR)/RGB/GCPlug/GBP/SD2SP2, RVL 001(EUR)/RGB/CMP/WiiSD

Zelda WW with Tingle Tuner in split screen was what the GC RF modulator was made for! (Video)