Debugging Non Working SD2SP2

Find all your GameCube topics here
thadhouse

Debugging Non Working SD2SP2

Post by thadhouse » Fri Jan 03, 2020 7:04 am

I've been trying to get my SD2SP2 (I actually have 2 of them) working for a few months, and have just not been able to. I've tried a ton of stuff, and have gotten nowhere. I don't have another GameCube to test, so I was wondering if anyone knows any tests or changes I can make to libogc to test.

Basically, what happens is in either Swiss or CleanRip, a card is never seen, with an error in libfat attempting to read the file system, the same error that happens if no card is inserted. I've tried every version of swiss released since SP2 support was added. I've also tried 4 different SD Cards, all of which work in an SD Gecko in slot B.

I wonder if I have a revision of GameCube with an SP2 port that doesn't work. I opened up the system and didn't see any bad solder joints, and got good continuity between the internal pins and the pins in the connector.

The GameCube is DOL-CPU-11 with the 1.1 IPL.

It is possible both SD2SP2 adapters are bad, but I find it extremely unlikely. If anyone is in Los Angeles maybe we could try them out on a known working cube.
Papy.G

Re: Debugging Non Working SD2SP2

Post by Papy.G » Sat Jan 04, 2020 8:51 am

Dol-Cpu-11 is the part number for the main unit, no matter the console rev. , as is Dol-17 for the GameBoy Player.
If the SP2 connector is present on your console, i doubt it is not wired.

Are both SD2SP2 from the same vendor/batch?
Check if you connect the device the right way. Clean the connector on the console side. Check the device's wiring for continuity and shorts.

There is no way modding the software would solve anything, it should just work as it is.
DMG/MultiFreq OC/EDGB/EZF Jr, AGB/SC miniSD, NTR/NeoMK3, USG/flashme V8/SC miniSD
DOL001(EUR)/RGB/GCPlug/GBP/SD2SP2, RVL 001(EUR)/RGB/CMP/WiiSD

Zelda WW with Tingle Tuner in split screen was what the GC RF modulator was made for! (Video)
thadhouse

Re: Debugging Non Working SD2SP2

Post by thadhouse » Sat Jan 04, 2020 5:49 pm

Both devices are from the same vendor, but different batches. Probing with a multimeter shows all the pins are correctly connected. I also went into the GameCube and reflowed all the solder joints on the SP2 port to make sure there wasn't any cracks or anything. I get good continuity between the pins on the motherboard and the pins on the SD2SP2 as well, along with I did try to clean the SP2 port.

I definitely have the device connected the right way, and am getting the correct power levels from the GameCube, tested with a multimeter. I got confirmation that the 2nd adapter I received worked before shipping, so definitely at a loss about what is wrong.