GBI from Memory card. noob questions

Find all your GameCube topics here
DeathVortex

GBI from Memory card. noob questions

Post by DeathVortex » Tue Jan 21, 2020 7:55 pm

So I heard about GBI a month or so ago, I finally decided to grab a copy of 007 for the exploit. So heres the thing. Im trying to capture the video to a retrotink and then to an elgato hd60S . Now retrotink does best with a 240p source, So i got into this because i heard GBI can force 240p mode. the standard GBI player doesnt seem to run in 240p, it says its running at 480i when i run it, thanks to all the on screen info of that version. The high fidelty version seems to be the clearest, but its black and white ???? I originally thought that would be my best choice, thanks to the info on the gc-forever gbi wiki but its black and white??....... the SR version works in color, and appears to be running @240p but its a bit blurry, at least in comparison to the HF (B&W) version but it works. Also I should add, that im using SVIDEO, i know most people would assume thats my first problem, BUT SNES looks fantastic through svideo. Now since im running all this off a GC memory card, im assuming im missing out on a bunch of features/options. I tried copying over all the other versions to my GC memory that are made for xrbg, and ossc. But they either work, or dont work very well (with my setup) So my question is, Is there a way that I can switch the Standard version from 480i to 240p ? Or does anyone know why the high fidelity version only shows up in black and white? its also black and white on my CRT, so its not an elgato thing. My GC does not have the digital port, so svideo is my best option. Would I have better luck with one of those SD > GC Memory card adapters?

Can anyone help a noob out? haha.. Would love to get this going. Thanks!
Papy.G

Re: GBI from Memory card. noob questions

Post by Papy.G » Wed Jan 22, 2020 9:22 pm

You sure miss options setting at launch when launching GBI from a memcard, it would've been nice to launch it off an SD Card at least for testing purposes, the standard version can exit back to SWISS, so you can test settings without rebooting AUF each time.
Then when you're set, edit a cli file, append it to GBI (with a MS-DOS command), then convert that to a gci file (dol2gci is in the GBI extras archive).

The black and white may be a timing concern with s-video signals and NTSC color burst, try with composite (both on CRT and capture setup), while 60Hz composite is the worst a GameCube can output (if you don't count the RF modulators), you'll see if at least, you have color.
DMG/MultiFreq OC/EDGB/EZF Jr, AGB/SC miniSD, NTR/NeoMK3, USG/flashme V8/SC miniSD
DOL001(EUR)/RGB/GCPlug/GBP/SD2SP2, RVL 001(EUR)/RGB/CMP/WiiSD

Zelda WW with Tingle Tuner in split screen was what the GC RF modulator was made for! (Video)
DeathVortex

Post by DeathVortex » Thu Jan 23, 2020 1:45 am

Hey Thanks for the response. I went ahead and just ordered a random SD2GC memcard off ebay today. So i'll do some more experimenting/testing when i get that.
I tried what you said, and i got some strange results.
With Composite direct to CRT it was still black and white with GBIHF. But then when i switched the composite to my RetroTINK, I did get color, but it doesnt happen all the time, if i unplug and plug the composite cable back in, sometimes its black and white, other times its color.

So that lead me to try something else. I decided to try the same thing with SVIDEO, but this time it was a little different. It was still black and white when i plugged into my Elgato, but i decided to try something else, when i toggle the input switch on my RetroTink, and cycle it through all the way back to SVIDEO, I get color! But its ugly color lol Heres a clip: https://youtu.be/U7EPYwBwI9k The color is off, but the picture is so crisp!

So I deciced to try GBIHF -XRGB this version worked, with color. But something seems off, theres lines everywhere, but this is the best one so far! example: https://youtu.be/iZhs0EJVBfM

This is GBISR: https://youtu.be/hjvfRw-5o5M it works perfectly, But its not as sharp/crisp as GBIHF.

Maybe you can understand whats going on? maybe svideo isnt optimized for GBIHF? It does look good though, i mean, there is some potential there.
thanks !
Papy.G

Post by Papy.G » Thu Jan 23, 2020 11:00 am

We call it an SD Gecko (generic name for WiiKey WiiSD chinese knockoffs as well as for the Nintendo's original and any of the Datel variants), as long as it is a SD adapter to memcard slot. SD2SP2 is the name for what we plug under the console where you don't have any plug on the DOL-101.

Colors usually can be messy with s-video, but GBI adds to it, with timings that tends to try to be closest possible to what the console does, and timing variations easily breaks the color burst in NTSC.

Check for your TV/retrotink for NTSC setting, in case you're not in a default NTSC area.

Should be nice with just the standard version set up to 240p.
DMG/MultiFreq OC/EDGB/EZF Jr, AGB/SC miniSD, NTR/NeoMK3, USG/flashme V8/SC miniSD

Zelda WW with Tingle Tuner in split screen was what the GC RF modulator was made for! (Video)
DeathVortex

Post by DeathVortex » Fri Jan 24, 2020 12:32 am

Yea i got one of the chinese knockoffs hah, but if it works, it works..
The one thing with the RetroTINK, its very basic. but i believe it does the switching on its own, between NTSC and PAL. The only other 2 options are the toggle switch (composite/svideo/component) and the button to activate line doubling and smoothing or passthrough. very basic. as long as its fed a 240p source though, it does it well enough, It can use a 480i source but it doesnt look that great, too much shimmering, similar to ossc.

How do i set the standard version to 240p without the SD Gecko? Is there a button combo i can press ? or would i need to compile something like you mentioned earlier through the dos command with dol2gci?
Papy.G

Post by Papy.G » Fri Jan 24, 2020 9:12 am

Chinese knockoffs are said to work better than Datel's ones...

No button combo, when you load GBI from SWISS off an SD, you can have a menu with the main settings to choose from. But if you know the options and syntax (examples.cli are provided), you can make those settings automaically set upon loading. You can append this cli file at the end of GBI.dol, then if you convert this dol to a gci, you can load it off a memcard, and some DoLaunchers can apply those settings upon startup.

I have to do something close to that, but my computer is busy for some days. (posting from my Wii)

Diego borella

Post by Diego borella » Tue Sep 15, 2020 8:50 pm

Papy.G wrote:
Wed Jan 22, 2020 9:22 pm
Then when you're set, edit a cli file, append it to GBI (with a MS-DOS command), then convert that to a gci file
for me, GBI is creating a hidden CLI file, automatically with the Swiss 906. :!:
do the following: apply GBIhr with the desired settings; about autoexec = then copy GBIhr from one slot to another.
in my case, I copy from slot B to slot SP2. when I open the GBIhr file, it does not present a menu, and it already enters the desired settings ...
remembering that I don't have a G_boy Player. :idea:
SWISS USER :geek:
Papy.G

Post by Papy.G » Thu Sep 17, 2020 7:51 am

I wasn't aware of this feature, interresting, while I haven't spend much time to explore GBI settings for now, nor testing last SWISS releases as I was into patch-translating some SNES and GB games, testing GB SD/ROM carts, and building/modifying video cables for GC and Wii.

Too bad you didn't get one before the big disease, since they were quite cheap then, and prices are getting insanely high now!
I ultimately bought four of them (three loose from japan), sold one before the disease, and joining one in a bundle i'm setting up for somebody who already contacted me (Platinum DOL-101 & GBP, RGB CSYNC cable, soldered SD2SP2, refined WiiSD, exploit-able game, controllers…) at pre-disease prices.

For the prices to get back to normal, you may not rush on those at the price they are now, so that they won't sell, and the sellers will be forced to lower the prices.

Extrems

Post by Extrems » Thu Sep 17, 2020 1:32 pm

I wasn't aware of this feature either.
Diego borella

Post by Diego borella » Fri Sep 18, 2020 5:58 pm

Extrems wrote:
Thu Sep 17, 2020 1:32 pm
I wasn't aware of this feature either.

as I always play PAL ISOs, for Spanish, I needed Zelda WW, to present the screen option for 60Htz. but in GCVIDEO mode, it went straight with 50Htz. and it was black and white on my TV.
I used GBI <then with the interchange between slots, I realized that the GBI menu was no longer displayed, assuming the configuration I want automatically. now he always asks to enter between 60 and 50 Htz without having to put it in GC-N-DOL mode (pal 60) in GCVIDEO mode.
Metroid Prime also took on that.

:!: :?:
Also, about GBI and memory card boot:
I wonder if anyone else can handle booting with hidden files.
GBI, IPL, Donlaucher, deal with hidden files, but interestingly, Swiss is unable to read boot.dol. hidden. Swiss.ini is also hidden and works ...
Papy.G wrote:
Thu Sep 17, 2020 7:51 am

??? :?: :?:
Andross89

Post by Andross89 » Fri Sep 18, 2020 6:21 pm

Diego borella wrote:
Fri Sep 18, 2020 5:58 pm
...for Spanish...
There is the PTBR version of Wind Waker. Just in case you don't know...
Diego borella

Post by Diego borella » Fri Sep 18, 2020 6:45 pm

Andross89 wrote:
Fri Sep 18, 2020 6:21 pm
There is the PTBR version of Wind Waker. Just in case you don't know...
I know, and I have both Zeldas in PT.
but the translation patch can change the result to the Swiss compatibility list ... a clean iso must be used to check the list ...
Papy.G

Post by Papy.G » Mon Sep 28, 2020 4:49 pm

Diego borella wrote:
Fri Sep 18, 2020 5:58 pm
as I always play PAL ISOs, for Spanish, I needed Zelda WW, to present the screen option for 60Htz. but in GCVIDEO mode, it went straight with 50Htz. and it was black and white on my TV.
I used GBI <then with the interchange between slots, I realized that the GBI menu was no longer displayed, assuming the configuration I want automatically. now he always asks to enter between 60 and 50 Htz without having to put it in GC-N-DOL mode (pal 60) in GCVIDEO mode.
Metroid Prime also took on that.
60Hz mode screen for PAL games is like Progressive mode in NTSC games: When the flag is enabled, you are automatically prompted to choose between both modes, when it is disabled, you have to push B on launch to get to the menu. Games that don't offer the choice (50Hz only PAL games, 60Hz only Pal Games, Not progressive compatible NTSC games) Just ignore those flags, and don't affect them either.
Too bad PAL-M GCs don't output RGB.
I personally use GBI in NTSC mode on my PAL GCs, for me, to obtain better compatibility, 50HZ is PAL, 60HZ is NTSC.
Maybe the default settings are just what you want (The default choices in the .dcp "menu" don't reflect the default GBI settings).
:!: :?:
Also, about GBI and memory card boot:
I wonder if anyone else can handle booting with hidden files.
GBI, IPL, Donlaucher, deal with hidden files, but interestingly, Swiss is unable to read boot.dol. hidden. Swiss.ini is also hidden and works ...
You can't load a .dol the file manager doesn't show. If you run off a GameExploit, that won't bother you that much.
??? :?: :?:
Was about GBPlayer: too bad you didn't get one before that big mess of a Pandemic that helped the prices to jump higher later.