Retroarch not recognizing SD2SP2, help me reach the developers

Find all your GameCube topics here
nashismo

Retroarch not recognizing SD2SP2, help me reach the developers

Post by nashismo » Wed Aug 05, 2020 4:13 pm

So yes guys, SD2SP2 is not recognized by Retroarch, you can load Retroarch itself from an SD card in SD2SP2 but from there if I want to choose a folder I cannot choose my SD card from SD2SP2

I have opened an issue on the Github page of Retroarch but no one seems to care!

Here: https://github.com/libretro/RetroArch/issues/11036

I have like 12gb of roms and games on that SD card, do you know any other work around? I mean I bought this 128gb SD card and now it is useless...
Papy.G

Re: Retroarch not recognizing SD2SP2, help me reach the developers

Post by Papy.G » Wed Aug 05, 2020 7:15 pm

Retroarch for GameCube seems to sail like a ghost ship anyways…

There are many reasons why you would hardly get what you want:

-Libretro build system relies on a library that just doesn't know SD2SP2 is possible.

-The build process is automated, and almost no human is involved in it.

-Libretro is a bunch of emulators that you have to contact every developper individually for any of your needs.

-Even if the developper cares, your concern may be out of his reach within GC's Retroarch specific "layers".

Don't put too high expectations on Retroarch for GameCube, or you'll be deceived, unless a new breath ever come to the developping team, it is a dead end for GameCube users.

I may sound negative, because i'm so pissed off by that situation, and would love so much that retroarch would at least work decently on the cube.
And I may be wrong, as there are too many versions that I tested just to witness no dramatic progress that I skipped a few updates lately.
DMG/MultiFreq OC/EDGB/EZF Jr, AGB/SC miniSD, NTR/NeoMK3, USG/flashme V8/SC miniSD
DOL001(EUR)/RGB/GCPlug/GBP/SD2SP2, RVL 001(EUR)/RGB/CMP/WiiSD

Zelda WW with Tingle Tuner in split screen was what the GC RF modulator was made for! (Video)
nashismo

Post by nashismo » Wed Aug 05, 2020 7:45 pm

Papy.G wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 7:15 pm
Retroarch for GameCube seems to sail like a ghost ship anyways…

There are many reasons why you would hardly get what you want:

-Libretro build system relies on a library that just doesn't know SD2SP2 is possible.

-The build process is automated, and almost no human is involved in it.

-Libretro is a bunch of emulators that you have to contact every developper individually for any of your needs.

-Even if the developper cares, your concern may be out of his reach within GC's Retroarch specific "layers".

Don't put too high expectations on Retroarch for GameCube, or you'll be deceived, unless a new breath ever come to the developping team, it is a dead end for GameCube users.

I may sound negative, because i'm so pissed off by that situation, and would love so much that retroarch would at least work decently on the cube.
And I may be wrong, as there are too many versions that I tested just to witness no dramatic progress that I skipped a few updates lately.
Thank you PapiG I had no idea of this situation, it is a sad thing! It would ideal because this SD2SP2 adapter has given new life to the Gamecube community/modding. Or so it seems because I am quite new at this. Do you recommend those Gecko SD adapters that look like a memory card? Would they work with Retroarch?

Thank you PapiG
Papy.G

Post by Papy.G » Thu Aug 06, 2020 4:57 am

In fact, the SD2SP2 is just a new way to access SD cards, with little ergonomic improvements over the SD gecko due to the free slot b. What really relieved homebrew and iso launch on the GC are the new way to achieve this, with the many games exploits available, SWISS getting dramatically more functionnal over the updates, GBI getting the GBPlayer to the top, and all those digital out devices now available thanks to GCVideo and all the related hardware designs. All this came at the right time in the GC's lifespan to get interest from the mass, and not only a handful of enthusiasts, and the many videos posted all over the net about one thing or another helped much to spread the word.

I can definitely recommend you an SD Gecko, as retroarch, some standalone emus and utilities still don't support SD2SP2, if you have a GC compatible Wii, and ever more if you have the component cable or a Wii2hdmi.

For retroarch, few emulators are working as expected with current version (I personally use it only for the Thomson emu, which is quite good once you passed the video settings nightmare, as it is not available standalone for GC, and I'm in touch with the core developer, who's quite reactive to feedback), some have had more luck regressing back to v1.0 or something (thanks to the wonderful wayback machine), I didn't manage to take the time to test.
DMG/MultiFreq OC/EDGB/EZF Jr, AGB/SC miniSD, NTR/NeoMK3, USG/flashme V8/SC miniSD
DOL001(EUR)/RGB/GCPlug/GBP/SD2SP2, RVL 001(EUR)/RGB/CMP/WiiSD

Zelda WW with Tingle Tuner in split screen was what the GC RF modulator was made for! (Video)