Question: Advantages of using Serial Port 2?

Find all your GameCube topics here
gaseoso

Question: Advantages of using Serial Port 2?

Post by gaseoso » Sun Nov 07, 2021 11:49 pm

Hello, everybody.

I'm just curious about this, because I haven't seen it discussed much, but considering newer versions of Swiss booting from an SD-Gecko run smooth as butter, and support audio-streaming and being overall extremely optimized.. is it redundant to use SP2 now? I mean, because I have a DOL-101 with a hacked-in frontal SP2 port, and at this point I'm not really seeing much point in using it considering how well backups in an SD-Gecko run nowadays.

So basically my question is about what would the advantages of using either port be.
Extrems

Re: Question: Advantages of using Serial Port 2?

Post by Extrems » Mon Nov 08, 2021 1:14 am

You can emulate memory cards in both slots.
gaseoso

Post by gaseoso » Mon Nov 08, 2021 4:39 am

But other than being able to use both memory card slots at once, is there any technical advantage to either using SP2 or EXI?
Papy.G

Post by Papy.G » Mon Nov 08, 2021 8:02 am

You didn't read the right threads, technically, there is not much difference between memcard slots and SP2, they're both connected to EXI bus.
But the SD2SP2 devices don't interfere with any commercial game, so you'll not only be able to simulate memcards on both slots, you'll also be able to connect physical devices to the second slot, such as a second memcard, the microphone, a dance mat, datel's advance player... Unless your implementation gets in the way.
The reasons why you won't use it may be:
-the ease to access to the card (there are side-loading alternatives).
-to use regular size SDs.
-some homebrews such as emulators still don't support it.
You can also use both if you want to use the bigger card as read only to prevent fragmentation and lenghten its lifespan.
DMG/MultiFreq OC/EDGB/EZF Jr, AGB/SC miniSD, NTR/NeoMK3, USG/flashme V8/SC miniSD
DOL001(EUR)/RGB/GCPlug/GBP/SD2SP2, RVL 001(EUR)/RGB/CMP/WiiSD

Zelda WW with Tingle Tuner in split screen was what the GC RF modulator was made for! (Video)
gaseoso

Post by gaseoso » Mon Nov 08, 2021 7:36 pm

Oh, I see then.

Thank you for the detailed answer!