Help with snes9xgx-gc.dol and component cables on GC

Find all your GameCube topics here
ohmslaw

Help with snes9xgx-gc.dol and component cables on GC

Post by ohmslaw » Sun Dec 12, 2021 7:44 am

Been looking for a way to have snes9xgx running in 240p or 480i through component but I've had no luck yet. When I load the .dol it automatically launches in 480p (which my standard def CRT can't handle), I can only bypass this by unplugging the component cables from the console before loading the app but then when I try to load a rom it also launches in 480p. Furthermore, if I bypass this additional resolution change it switches back to 480p when I open the emulator's menu.
I have found this info that was from a while ago But I don't know how to do this could someone help me make a updated .dol

Then I stumbled upon this gem within the function FindVideoMode in video.cpp:

#ifdef HW_DOL
/* we have component cables, but the preferred mode is interlaced
* why don't we switch into progressive?
* on the Wii, the user can do this themselves on their Wii Settings */
if(VIDEO_HaveComponentCable())
mode = &TVNtsc480Prog;
#endif

I hope I have offered a compelling case as to why we should NOT assume that just because we have component cables, it is safe to switch into progressive. The preferred mode should be interlaced, because this offers the best compatibility.

Yes, I was going to try commenting out that piece of code and recompiling just as soon as I get a development environment set up.

The point I am trying to get across is that I can't be the only one out there who wants to achieve the best possible video quality for retro gaming. This means component video (or RGB) on a 480i native CRT display running in Original mode (240p). Considering most every TV that supports 480p is backwards compatible with 480i, there is no need to have 480p forced when this breaks the software for users of 480i TV's that are not forwards compatible with 480p

I have edited the portion of script he was talking about I just don't know how to recompile the emulator? Has anyone done this before I would love some help. thanks for the time reading my long drawn out post on my issue.
Papy.G

Re: Help with snes9xgx-gc.dol and component cables on GC

Post by Papy.G » Sun Dec 12, 2021 11:48 am

This has been discussed before, and there are many reasons why it hasn't been solved before:
- Dborth is not very active on GC dev for quite long, as he seems not to have much time.
- He doesn't have GC hardware to test his code.
- There are very few CRTs that support Component input, but not 31kHz display.

I think it is wise to set to progressive mode , especially in this case, and in sake of compatibility, as there are way more CMP/HDMI sets that are not compatible with 240p then not with 480p, or the setting may be done the Nintendo way, with a disclaimer at boot, with 480i as a default.

As long as video quality is a concern, 480i is IMHO the worst option on either kind of display.

You have at least three easy ways of bypassing this little annoyance:
- Get a Pal GCN and go with RGB (very native CRT signal).
- Stick a little adhesive tape on the Digital AV connector device detect pin.
- Try with Retroarch's SNES emulators.

I have one french user of the rarer DigitalAV/Euro-SCART RGB cable for his imported NTSC console who asked for the same "issue", he went the adhesive tape way, and is quite happy with it.
DMG/MultiFreq OC/EDGB/EZF Jr, AGB/SC miniSD, NTR/NeoMK3, USG/flashme V8/SC miniSD
DOL001(EUR)/RGB/GCPlug/GBP/SD2SP2, RVL 001(EUR)/RGB/CMP/WiiSD

Zelda WW with Tingle Tuner in split screen was what the GC RF modulator was made for! (Video)
ohmslaw

Re: Help with snes9xgx-gc.dol and component cables on GC

Post by ohmslaw » Sun Dec 12, 2021 4:54 pm

thanks for the info I think Ill try the tape so if I understand this process I put tape over pin #1 detectCable (pull high 1.8)?