How Does the GameCube Discs Work?

Find all your GameCube topics here
GameCubeFreak2004

How Does the GameCube Discs Work?

Post by GameCubeFreak2004 » Thu Dec 23, 2021 9:20 pm

hey there everybody, so anyways I was wondering how does the GameCube read backups of mini dvd-r's? like i tried this yesterday with a burned disc but how do i boot up a Backup? now thats a question idk about alot.
Papy.G

Re: How Does the GameCube Discs Work?

Post by Papy.G » Fri Dec 24, 2021 10:40 am

Runing burned backups is from another era where you did not have any other choice than risking the hardware's sanity with hasardous soldering of chips, and dangerous laser pot tweaking.

Nowadays, you have the fabulous save exploits and SWISS, that together permit to boot an untouched console from an official disk then run dumps off an SD card, no need to hassle with mini DVD burning anymore!

On the topic: You have to burn the right media with the right burning utility and the specific required burner. Then on the console side, you need a way to run backups, a chip installed, or SWISS booted, plus for both, laser tweaked to cope with burned DVD grooves.
After all this rain dance, you just have to cross fingers for your laser beam to survive this extreme stress. Or you can go the "softmod" way with SD cards that will lengthen your console's lifespan. I have personally dumped all my game disks and exclusively run my games off SD cards.
DMG/MultiFreq OC/EDGB/EZF Jr, AGB/SC miniSD, NTR/NeoMK3, USG/flashme V8/SC miniSD
DOL001(EUR)/RGB/GCPlug/GBP/SD2SP2, RVL 001(EUR)/RGB/CMP/WiiSD

Zelda WW with Tingle Tuner in split screen was what the GC RF modulator was made for! (Video)