How did GameCube render GBA video and audio?

Find all your GameCube topics here
epicmartin7

How did GameCube render GBA video and audio?

Post by epicmartin7 » Wed Aug 02, 2023 10:53 pm

Obviously, the GBA Player had full hardware inside. So I was always curious, how did the GameCube even render Video and Audio?

Did the GameCube hardware actually decode the signal? Or did it skip the chipset and go directly to the video out?
Extrems

Re: How did GameCube render GBA video and audio?

Post by Extrems » Wed Aug 02, 2023 11:30 pm

Neither. It's all software.
epicmartin7

Post by epicmartin7 » Thu Aug 03, 2023 3:33 am

Extrems wrote:
Wed Aug 02, 2023 11:30 pm
Neither. It's all software.
Oh, interesting. How's it able to get the video and video signals fast enough?
epicmartin7

Post by epicmartin7 » Fri Aug 04, 2023 12:55 am

Sorry for bumping, but is there technical documentation on the GBA Player at all?
Papy.G

Post by Papy.G » Sun Aug 13, 2023 10:26 am

You may find the GBA display specs around, and comparing to the GC's High speed port (YAGCD is the key word to find about it), you may end up finding that it has wayy enough bus width and throughput to transfer all those datas from GBPlayer hardware to GC.
If the GBPlayer is really the full featured hardware, the work on the GC side is more of zooming than full rendering.

I never got deep enough in the docs so I still wonder why the GBA display always looks to me like it is interlaced (thanks to fast seeing perception, that also prevents me from playing FPS' without ending seasick).
DMG/MultiFreq OC/EDGB/EZF Jr, AGB/SC miniSD, NTR/NeoMK3, USG/flashme V8/SC miniSD
DOL001(EUR)/RGB/GCPlug/GBP/SD2SP2, RVL 001(EUR)/RGB/CMP/WiiSD

Zelda WW with Tingle Tuner in split screen was what the GC RF modulator was made for! (Video)
SG-17

Post by SG-17 » Mon Aug 14, 2023 9:58 pm

I've always wondered why mod makers never pursued using the GBP as a base for a no-solder consolizer solution.
Papy.G

Post by Papy.G » Tue Aug 15, 2023 10:01 am

I do too, but you have to choose something beefed enough to handle data flow from and to GBPlayer, from controllers (SNES/BT/SWitch), to HDMI with zoom and all the display enhancements…

There used to be a time where such FPGAS where too expensive compared to GC or GBA hardware, they are becoming more affordable while consoles prices are getting higher and higher, so we may see such consolizer solutions in a close future.
DMG/MultiFreq OC/EDGB/EZF Jr, AGB/SC miniSD, NTR/NeoMK3, USG/flashme V8/SC miniSD
DOL001(EUR)/RGB/GCPlug/GBP/SD2SP2, RVL 001(EUR)/RGB/CMP/WiiSD

Zelda WW with Tingle Tuner in split screen was what the GC RF modulator was made for! (Video)