Need advice on replacing a laser.

Find all your GameCube topics here
psyko_chewbacca

Need advice on replacing a laser.

Post by psyko_chewbacca » Fri Aug 26, 2011 5:37 pm

Hi, I recently bought a Gamecube replacement laser and I tried to install it. I'm no noob in these kind of things, I've changed lasers in numerous Xbox and Xbox 360 drives.

Upon first inspection I did not saw any antic-static points soldered on the unit. I could be mistaken because when I try to boot up the GC, the laser emits no beam at all...

I'm asking if usually there are anti-static points soldered on a replacement laser. If yes, where are they located. I checked on the end of the FPC cable near the actual lens (where there are numerous SMD resistors and capacitors) but I did not notice any soldered points that would need desoldering.

Thanks
kel01

Re: Need advice on replacing a laser.

Post by kel01 » Fri Aug 26, 2011 9:33 pm

Yes they definitly have an anti-static solder blob. It's toward the other end of the FPC cable about 3/4 of the way down, near the end that plugs into the DVD Drive board.
psyko_chewbacca

Post by psyko_chewbacca » Fri Aug 26, 2011 11:29 pm

Thank you I saw it! I took a picture that clearly shows the solder blob to remove. I imagine maybe it could be added in the wiki for future reference. Anyway do what you want with it ;)

Attachments
IMAG0154-1.jpg
GC Laser Antic-Static point location
(185.82 KiB) Not downloaded yet
gtmtnbiker

Post by gtmtnbiker » Sun Aug 28, 2011 2:19 am

So what is the purpose of the anti-static blob? Is it to prevent harm to the laser from static electricity?
psyko_chewbacca

Post by psyko_chewbacca » Sun Aug 28, 2011 5:30 pm

My guess is that it's for protecting the laser controller chip. By bridging the +V and the GND signal together if a static discharge occur, there wont be any difference of voltage potential on the chip so the static discharge cannot fry the chip.

I culd be mistaken, maybe it's only a way of reassuring the buyer that the laser is new and tested... A little blob of solder was added by a technician, I feel safe!