Reviving a modded gamecube / Can't Load DOLs

Find all your GameCube topics here
King_Killa

Reviving a modded gamecube / Can't Load DOLs

Post by King_Killa » Fri Apr 30, 2010 8:31 am

I modded my gamecube about 2 years ago, I visited tehskeen regularly then. After adjusting my pot 50 times and never being able to play a game for longer than 30 minutes before crashing (with the exception of the legend of zelda collectors edition), experiencing horrible 10fps playback from iso streaming over the BBA, and spending way too much money on mini-DVDRs, I put it away.

But, I can't help but feel like doing all of that was the most fun I've had in the past couple of years.

So, I yanked the gamecube out and hooked everything up all nice. I have a viper xtreme chip and I currently have GCOS 1.5 running on it. Problem is, whenever I try to send a DOL file over through the BBA, the GC crashes 99% of the time. Same results with Cobra BIOS and the usb dol send feature.

I know these DOLs worked two years ago with netcat, but when I try to send Mupen64.dol for example, My gamecube screen looks like this:

Code: Select all

DDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD
DDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD
DDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD
DOLUP: connection CLOSE
Downloaded image to 80800200 size 000c5020
Starting at ?????????
Dolload code address: 80d0f7c4
Sometimes it will load up the starcube screen (with green lines in the images), or go to an all green screen.

I guess what my question is, has anyone ran into this? Do I need to maybe redo the soldering in the cube? I'm able to flash the bios without any issues..
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Re: Reviving a modded gamecube / Can't Load DOLs

Post by emu_kidid » Fri Apr 30, 2010 8:51 am

mupen64 needs a better loader than what is out. Try to compress the DOL first before sending it. The modchip is installed fine.
King_Killa

Re: Reviving a modded gamecube / Can't Load DOLs

Post by King_Killa » Fri Apr 30, 2010 9:10 am

Okay, it just seems like a couple years ago I was able to use netcat to send over all kinds of neat things, where as now I am only seeing success maybe 1 out of 5 times with only certain DOL files, and no success at all with others. SDLOAD.dol flashes a blue screen that says "Starting ...." or something similar, and then goes to black. I'm formatting my sd card now to work with my wiikey, but if I can't get SDLOAD to fire up, it won't do me any good I guess. I'd rather not have to burn a mini DVD just for a dol file... :/

EDIT: Works beautifully with the card formatted.

Emukidid, if you ever need any kind of web programming done (not sure how fluent you are in php/mysql), let me know. I'd be glad to set up an archive of gamecube DOL files, BIOSs, Related Tools, etc, for people to download, now that there isn't a decent one available (as far as I'm aware, anyway). I'd probably even be able to donate the space for hosting, if need be.

EDIT: Seems like it crashes every time until the gamecube gets heated up, and then it works fine every try, but fails again after the cube has been off for a while.