Gamecube ISO Hacking?

Find all your GameCube topics here
Crwys

Gamecube ISO Hacking?

Post by Crwys » Tue May 01, 2012 7:55 am

I google searched this for hours last night.
More specifically I want to edit files of the game Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles.
Changing the music first, then hopefully changing the levels, bosses, ect.
The only extensive ISO hacking I have seen on gamecube is Animal Crossing.
I am using GC Rebuilder to extract and import files but so far finding any programs that convert or read these files has failed.
I only found a .thp player which plays videos, but this doesn't help much.
It appears the music file is .bgm and google searching that has not turned up anything.
I saw in_cube and vgstream but neither were either to play these files.
I am not an advanced Gamecube or Wii hacker so should I just give up on this?
I will be taking the time to look at the files with notepad and a hex editor though.
Maybe with some more investigation I can make something out of this.
I also have a USB Gecko which should help. But I don't know really where to start. Any tips?
infact

Re: Gamecube ISO Hacking?

Post by infact » Tue May 01, 2012 1:08 pm

First you have to identify the format inside the file, then you need a program which can read/write/convert this format.
A hex editor is great help, just because the file extension can be misleading... they could have named it everything.
Nintendo and the other's used some special formats on the gamecube platform, they included some converters in their official sdk and such.
Also it is possible that they used well known formats and edited the header, so you need to revert it.

One thing you can always try is to import the audio file as raw data in a program called "audacity", quite a few games i have extracted use raw adpcm streams.
infact
Image Image
Crwys

Re: Gamecube ISO Hacking?

Post by Crwys » Wed May 02, 2012 4:03 am

"Also it is possible that they used well known formats and edited the header, so you need to revert it."
Could you explain this a little bit more?

I should have remembered to check the SDK's and I'll try your raw import method as well.

Thanks for the help.