Hey there.

Welcome to the GC-Forever forums, feel free to introduce yourself here!
Sizednochi

Hey there.

Post by Sizednochi » Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:24 am

First of all, I'm happy to have found such a forum, so when I did, I couldn't hesitate to register.

I'm a fellow GameCube enthusiast, and I've been for the past 9 years or so! The catch is that I actually only recently acquired a GameCube (Don't have a Wii). So I figure I should tell some of my story:

I'm from Brazil and all that, and my first console was a SNES, by the years of 1998 or so. When the GC was shiny and new, I was stuck with a N64, renting games because buying 64 carts was impossible - waaaay too expensive. I was a pretty happy kid with all those amazing N64 games, but I often used to buy licensed Nintendo magazines only to see the likes of Metroid Prime being released, which I couldn't really sleep just knowing it existed! But a GC was too expensive, Brazil has crazy taxes on imported stuff and it was just impossible... I was stuck reading all those games coming out, and I couldn't play them.

I had to endure the pain until, by 2010, I got a decent computer to run Dolphin somewhat decently - (before, around 2009, I was playing it on my crappy, very crappy, Pentium GEForce FX5200, and you won't believe I finished Metroid Prime at a steady frameskipped 5fps) I've played my favorite games on it and I was quite happy. But the emulator can't pass up that nice feeling of having the cute little cube, and has tons of glitches, it just can't be hardware accurate. Since I'm 18 now, I started working - and actually bought a -console only- GameCube! When it arrived home all I could do was hugh it tightly and cry in joy like a child! After venturing into ebay, in a month I had an Orange controller, power supply and a memory card. All this cost around the price of a gamecube capable Wii - But I like GC much, much better.

For my surprise, the GC was modded -with a QooB PRO no less- and I researche to know the wonderful world that was opening right before my eyes. I flashed Emu_Kidid's (Dude, you're awesome and I'm your fan) Swiss on to the Qoob, and was able to boot games without using any disc at all.

With a few more searchig I was able to run multiple emulators on it, making my GC into an awesome little box full of retrogames which I love, and I found out playing them on the GC was even better!

The work you guys do here is fantastic, I greatly appreciate the share my love for this cute lunch box which in my opinion is the best console ever made!
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Re: Hey there.

Post by emu_kidid » Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:52 am

Welcome to the forums!

We hope you enjoy your stay and find some useful information here :)
AC_Orange

Post by AC_Orange » Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:25 pm

Welcome, I actually enjoyed reading your story even though it's rather sad, I was in a similar position- always wanted to get a Super Nintendo
iggunr

Post by iggunr » Thu Oct 11, 2012 8:30 pm

Hello there

Your story reminds me of mine, I live in Mexico City and it is a little similar to Brasil, all the imported games and consoles are very expensive, I don't know how much compared to you but here it is around the double you would pay in the U.S. As a kid I only had a NES and eventually a Gameboy, always wanted a new console so I saved all I could, then the gamecube went out and I purchased it on day 1, I played Super Monkey Ball for like 3 months straight because that was the only game i had. Anyway, nowadays I have a ps3, ps2 and a dreamcast, but nothing has ever come close to the gamecube, and the funny thing is, I actually can't explain why, IMO the gc as a system just feels solid and complete, and now the scene is making this a extraordinary device, I just can't ask for more.
gcpro

Post by gcpro » Fri Oct 12, 2012 8:54 pm

Hey Sizednochi :D
sou Brasileiro também e tenho uma história parecida com sua =D.
Já acompanha a scene faz um tempo e também sou usuário do Qoob pro, caso precise de ajuda ou tenha dúvida em alguma coisa, pm me =D
Bem Vindo!
2 NGC ; Qoob Pro ; Wiikey Sd Adapter + 8GB SDHC
public-pervert

Post by public-pervert » Mon Oct 15, 2012 4:00 am

Mas Brasileiro é uma praga mesmo, hein? Tem pra todo lugar! auhehaehuhae