Hello people. wii-key fusion questions

Welcome to the GC-Forever forums, feel free to introduce yourself here!
L10N37

Hello people. wii-key fusion questions

Post by L10N37 » Sat Jan 04, 2014 4:44 am

hi people,

Just signed up to the forums. I have started making a portable gamecube. I don't know if you allow links to other forums?

http://forums.modretro.com/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=12605

I have only got the screen working and hardwired a 64mb memory card in, (which I can't even test yet). I am trying to get my hands on a wiikey fusion that will autoboot swiss without a switch on pin 29 to ground. Can anyone can help me. They have discontinued them in Australia and I can't even seem to find one overseas! The FCC board would probably make wiring it up a lot easier. My GC is DOL-001 EUR (PAL) but I haven't checked the BIOS. I would assume IPL V1.00? Willing to pay for one especially if it's ready to just solder in. I really don't want a chunky GD drive chewing up power and taking up space.

I have a spare gamecube with a xeno GC installed if required....

Happy new years too

:D
Duhasst0

Re: Hello people. wii-key fusion questions

Post by Duhasst0 » Sat Jan 04, 2014 5:01 am

You might want to check around and see if you can find a wasp fusion. it is the same thing as the wkf, but smaller. Plus as it is understood by myself, the pin 29 switch may be needed for other programs when going back into swiss. Now if I am wrong I am sure someone will let us know here, but if you are NOT going to be using a pin 29 switch it at least needs to be grounded.
megalomaniac

Post by megalomaniac » Sat Jan 04, 2014 5:29 am

i always suggest to install a pin29 switch...its only 3$ and has a very small footprint.
currently the only way to play multidisc titles is to use a pin29 switch with official software .dol thru swiss.
...and potentially in the future that switch might be needed once changes are made in swiss, but until everything is finalized and tested, we dont actually know, so its safer to have it and not need it than to not have the switch and need it...

this kinda reminds me of people who choose to make portables with no sdgecko...its such a small add on and a simple process to wire up, to leave it out is insane...

all PAL cubes are compatible with WKF/WASP/WODE so you have no issue there..
the reason why you are having a hard time finding WKF is because they stopped all manufacturing of WKF including 3rd party clones...
emu_kidid wrote: beer is like WD40 for megalomaniac's brain, gets the gears moving
>>> BadAssConsoles.com <<<

Image Image Image
L10N37

Post by L10N37 » Sat Jan 04, 2014 5:43 am

So a Wasp will have the exact same pin-outs as the WKF?
What advantages are there to having the SD-gecko? I thought they were just a memory card replacement, or are these used to upload SWISS onto WKF/ updates etc?

Looking at
http://www.gc-forever.com/wiki/index.ph ... iagram.png
I might have to take your advice and hook one up... but what is the value of the resistor labelled (?)

Also thanks for the advice on the switch, got 100 tactile switches on the way so I'll definitely make a P29 -> GND switch

I will have a look into the wasp fusion.

EDIT
found: viewtopic.php?f=36&t=1564

Thanks
megalomaniac

Post by megalomaniac » Sat Jan 04, 2014 6:51 am

WASP WKF WODE all have the same pinout
SD gecko will allow you to easily run homebrew ( a.k.a. emulators )
you dont need a LED or the resistor unless you want a blinky light...
if you decide to add the LED, you can add the optional resistor value between 100 ohm to 330 ohm..

if you ordered 100 switches, i hope you ordered the right type, "normally closed"
emu_kidid wrote: beer is like WD40 for megalomaniac's brain, gets the gears moving

Image Image Image
L10N37

Post by L10N37 » Sat Jan 04, 2014 7:39 am

Yeah i figured it's just an activity light, cheers for the value.

The switches were $1.82 free post from HK and are for the controller, I guess I'll have to get another one.
L10N37

Post by L10N37 » Sat Jan 04, 2014 8:52 am

After a few hours of searching, and deciding to try and find a wasp fusion rather than a WKF.. I found a site that had both in stock.

http://www.gamekools.com/index.php?main ... ord=fusion

I have purchased 2 WKF's, the exchange rate for 67.92USD should be 75.74AUD today, but they took out $80.08 (VISA). This is still cheaper than the Australian suppliers, had they been in stock (They can't get there hands on any).

http://au.trustpilot.com/review/www.gamekool.com

EDIT:
It's handled through a 3rd party http://service.fashionpay.com/ and I am given a tracking a number, apparently I can track it after 48 hours. Seems similar to paypal as complaints are to be taken through with them.
According to the email:
**Due to floating exchange rate, tiny disparity of order value may exist.
**Please note that your bank may apply a small charge for handling this transaction.

If/when they arrive I'll let you know :D
Last edited by L10N37 on Sun Jan 05, 2014 6:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
megalomaniac

Post by megalomaniac » Sat Jan 04, 2014 9:04 am

good luck with that site...

that is a site that has about 20 other sister sites all selling the same stuff...
they usually take peoples money and hold it for a while until all the sites can collectively gather enough sales of the same item to make a bulk purchase, then they ship the items...
if they do not have any WKF in stock and are waiting to make a bulk purchase, then they might never get the WKF to ship out since its out of production...

post back when you hear anything about the status...
worst case scenario, they will tell you its not available and get you to try to choose another item not willing to refund your money..something similar has happened to a member here and a few other sites...

best advice: keep checking that site to see when someone from their customer service is online and chat with them to verify if they have stock available..
if they have no stock and if you used a credit card, try to cancel the charge since they withdrew more funds than you agreed to purchase the item for..

Image Image Image
L10N37

Post by L10N37 » Sat Jan 04, 2014 12:41 pm

I will try and get in contact with them, if need be change to a wasp and hope all goes well.

Just a question before I try the install (http://forums.modretro.com/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=6003)

If pin 29 is switching to ground for multidisc games, is pin 23 not required? It says something about wiring an on and off switch between pin 23 and the GC mobo.

Quote:
Pin 23 Is the "lid open/closed" signal. Wire a on/off switch between this connection to retain the ability to "open/close the lid". The normal GameCube lidswitch is fine. This is needed for multi-disc game disc swapping.

Pin 29 Simulates the Wii's eject button and also controls disc sensing. This pin needs to be run to a normally closed momentary tact switch which is then run to the GameCube's ground. The DVD drive/Modchip WILL NOT FUNCTION unless this is done exactly as stated. Here is an example of the type of switch you will need:

And here's the switches i went with:
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/321093503795 ... 1439.l2649

Other than this question, i'm hoping it's as simple as wiring up the 18 wires mentioned and loading swiss via SD-Gecko, then putting GC ISO's on an SD card.
megalomaniac

Post by megalomaniac » Sat Jan 04, 2014 7:14 pm

both are required for multidisc titles.

WKF/WASP/WODE needs pin29 to know the swap has occurred and to load/que another disc waiting to be read by GC/WII
GC needs pin23 to know a swap has occurred to begin reading from the WKF/WASP/WODE

Image Image Image