yo

Welcome to the GC-Forever forums, feel free to introduce yourself here!
jdusablon

yo

Post by jdusablon » Sat Apr 26, 2014 7:33 pm

About to perform a pot mod, but I've just discovered the possibility of attaching hdd to the GC?!
iamdablasta

Re: yo

Post by iamdablasta » Sat Apr 26, 2014 8:32 pm

jdusablon wrote:About to perform a pot mod, but I've just discovered the possibility of attaching hdd to the GC?!
Indeed, it is possible. Look at the IDE-EXI thread, I think there is a new batch coming VERY soon.
Don't quote me on this, but I think you need a modchip to use the HDD as well. So you might just do a disc drive mod and burn swiss to a dvd or something like that so you can use the HDD with swiss.

Also, the HDD also needs power. So have a power supply for it ready (wall adapter, pc power supply is kinda overdoing it) or make one integrated with the NGC power regulator (although I have never tried it so I don't know how well it would perform).

You could do as I plan to do, but I can't do it right now. I plan to use the MegaDrive V5 to have a wiikey fusion hidden under the metal cover hiding the motherboard on the gc and have a hdd lay on top of the metal thing with something heat resistant inbetween (just in case). This means I would also do the IDE-EXI part internal. Guess what else is gonna be internal? Wavebirds and memory card. Wiikey fusion set to autoboot swiss. And lastly, get the (unreleased) HDMI mod.
It's pretty much the best a cube can get, and probably look damn sexy if done properly. (Hell, considering the design I could create a custom box making it suuuper sexy. I don't know much about making plastic boxes or anything though.
Damn I ramble on, anyways, these are just some suggestions on things you can do. There are guides for most of this here on the forums and on google. Have fun with you cube! :)
the game
novenary

Re: yo

Post by novenary » Sun Apr 27, 2014 4:13 pm

iamdablasta wrote:Indeed, it is possible. Look at the IDE-EXI thread, I think there is a new batch coming VERY soon.
Don't quote me on this, but I think you need a modchip to use the HDD as well. So you might just do a disc drive mod and burn swiss to a dvd or something like that so you can use the HDD with swiss.
Indeed. A modchip is not mandatory though. Any way to boot Swiss (XenoGC/DuoQ, IPL replacement, WKF/WASP/WODE, or simply SDML/AR) will work. If you go the WODE way you don't even need an IDE EXI since it has an USB port.