Heya!

Welcome to the GC-Forever forums, feel free to introduce yourself here!
Post Reply
Xesxen
Posts: 28
Joined: Mon Jul 21, 2014 4:24 pm
Location: The Netherlands

Heya!

Post by Xesxen » Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:00 pm

I found this magic place after searching for gamecube modding, seems like this is the right place.
I've previously owned a gamecube which had the BBA and a Qoob Pro, but I sold it after getting the Wii... (stupid me)

Anyways, I've bought a another one with a BBA, and looking forward to do awesome things with it.
I'm still in need of a decent modchip (Qoob Pro/Viper Extreme) to get it fully running, but hopefully I'll run into one soon.

For those that are curious, I live in the Netherlands. ;)
User avatar
iamdablasta
Posts: 327
Joined: Thu Jan 30, 2014 9:24 pm

Re: Heya!

Post by iamdablasta » Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:16 pm

Welcome! Congratulations on kicking Spain out of the game.

If you have been out of the scene for a long time you might want to take a look at Swiss, which can be used in combination with Wiikey Fusion on the gamecube. Yes, you read that correctly.

There probably are some modchips for sale at the marketplace, there usually are at least.
the game
Xesxen
Posts: 28
Joined: Mon Jul 21, 2014 4:24 pm
Location: The Netherlands

Re: Heya!

Post by Xesxen » Thu Jul 24, 2014 9:19 pm

Oh, that certainly looks awesome. Back when I had my old gamecube, I streamed games using the BBA (didn't have any trouble with that).
The Wiikey Fusion certainly looks awesome, but it completely replaces the gamecube drive, which is a shame in my eyes. (I was looking for the Qoob Pro/Viper Extreme because that allows me to autostart DOLs without replacing any hardware)
User avatar
badsector
Posts: 202
Joined: Tue Aug 20, 2013 12:42 pm
Location: Berlin

Re: Heya!

Post by badsector » Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:03 pm

You can keep a DVD drive. Just buy the complete MEGAdrive V4 kit and you get a DVD drive with added WiiKey Fusion capabilities (except that it is in fact not a WiiKey Fusion inside, but a very similar mod chip).

So just buy it (when available again), switch the drives and enjoy your backups from SD and originals from DVD.
User avatar
iamdablasta
Posts: 327
Joined: Thu Jan 30, 2014 9:24 pm

Re: Heya!

Post by iamdablasta » Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:45 pm

Xesxen wrote:Oh, that certainly looks awesome. Back when I had my old gamecube, I streamed games using the BBA (didn't have any trouble with that).
The Wiikey Fusion certainly looks awesome, but it completely replaces the gamecube drive, which is a shame in my eyes. (I was looking for the Qoob Pro/Viper Extreme because that allows me to autostart DOLs without replacing any hardware)
If you are a fan of high quality consider buying a component cable. Really expensive, but if you autoboot swiss you can force 480p/576p (576 not all games) for even better quality. The difference is more than visible, but then again really expensive and rare cable.

And as mentioned, the Megadrive V4 at badassconsoles.com has both a WKF and a DVD drive. This is practical as the WKF has a few issues on some games and playing backups on dvd is then beneficial to be able to play the problematic games on the same cube. I personally have two cubes so it doesn't matter to me.

Do have fun with your gamecube regardless of what type of setup you settle for.
the game
Xesxen
Posts: 28
Joined: Mon Jul 21, 2014 4:24 pm
Location: The Netherlands

Re: Heya!

Post by Xesxen » Fri Jul 25, 2014 8:45 am

Upon searching for both the component cable and the MEGAdrive V4 kit, I saw that both were at least 4 times the price of the gamecube itself... That's expensive :o (I paid €25 for the GC+BBA, which is a steal anyways)

Anyways, the reason why I was looking for those legacy modchips, is that those can bypass the IPL on start. (This also makes it useful if I decide to try programming for it, and I remember that those were not extremely expensive)
User avatar
badsector
Posts: 202
Joined: Tue Aug 20, 2013 12:42 pm
Location: Berlin

Re: Heya!

Post by badsector » Fri Jul 25, 2014 9:23 am

WiiKey Fusion and WASP Fusion can automatically boot to Swiss. From there you can start your DOL files (among other stuff) from SD card, if you want to code some stuff.
User avatar
Streetwalker
Posts: 1739
Joined: Mon Dec 30, 2013 7:50 am
Location: Israel

Re: Heya!

Post by Streetwalker » Fri Jul 25, 2014 10:23 am

Xesxen wrote:Upon searching for both the component cable and the MEGAdrive V4 kit, I saw that both were at least 4 times the price of the gamecube itself... That's expensive :o (I paid €25 for the GC+BBA, which is a steal anyways)

Anyways, the reason why I was looking for those legacy modchips, is that those can bypass the IPL on start. (This also makes it useful if I decide to try programming for it, and I remember that those were not extremely expensive)
Hmmm that's cheap for a BBA. ;)
User avatar
MockyLock
Posts: 327
Joined: Tue Aug 07, 2012 8:12 pm
Location: France

Re: Heya!

Post by MockyLock » Fri Jul 25, 2014 11:09 am

Streetwalker wrote:
Xesxen wrote:Upon searching for both the component cable and the MEGAdrive V4 kit, I saw that both were at least 4 times the price of the gamecube itself... That's expensive :o (I paid €25 for the GC+BBA, which is a steal anyways)

Anyways, the reason why I was looking for those legacy modchips, is that those can bypass the IPL on start. (This also makes it useful if I decide to try programming for it, and I remember that those were not extremely expensive)
Hmmm that's cheap for a BBA. ;)
Are you kidding ? It's cheap for both.
Videogames and almost all related have risen to something crazy these last years.
I fried my SNES a few months ago (trying to get the YUV signal, the video chip was pretty oxidised, well, it's another story), and now i'm searching for a new console, not really cheap, but affordable.
The average price is about 50€ for the console with cables but no boxe... 50€... about 5 years earlier, i could find them in thrift shops for 5€. I should have bought a truck of them.
Xesxen
Posts: 28
Joined: Mon Jul 21, 2014 4:24 pm
Location: The Netherlands

Re: Heya!

Post by Xesxen » Fri Jul 25, 2014 10:13 pm

I did some quick searching for what the console without the box is around here (mine came with the box actually, which was a surprise for me (it came in today)), but the average price seems to be ~€30 for the console + cables.

Anyways, the console came in today and works perfectly normal. I'll look around for a modchip (I'll keep the MEGAdrive v4 in mind) and hopefully I'll come across something nice
Post Reply