Fashionably late to the GC party?

Welcome to the GC-Forever forums, feel free to introduce yourself here!
flowmastergfunk

Fashionably late to the GC party?

Post by flowmastergfunk » Thu Nov 06, 2014 9:02 pm

Hey GCF'ers! New to the realm of GC, and very excited to dive in. Short story long...Nintendo fan since a pup, but I only had a PS2 and Dreamcast when GC came out (and lord I loved Dreamcast<3). When Nintendo went disc, I never jumped aboard. My last console I had was a ps3, but only played a dozen titles or so.

Looking back at GC, there are so many games I want to play! I missed an era! I could get an early Wii...and I still may... but I am all pumped about the cube itself. I have been browsing craigslist, fleabay, and doing my googling for a while now. My mind was blown when I stumbled upon Hailrazer's GC/64 hybrid, seeing the everdrive and the wiikey for the first time...and something clicked inside of me. I need a cube NOW!

Short story longer, I am a mechanic and a musician, so my financial devotion to video games has always been limited. I love them, but in moderation. I sold my ps3 for more music gear haha. My main hobby/job is building, repairing, and modding guitar effects pedals. A lot has changed since I was "modding" computers and emulating with my Dreamcast in highschool. I had no idea WTF Ohm's law was then, and didn't have much more than a dremel and a set of drivers. I have certainly collected some tools and tricks over the years. Thus...when I saw a couple google images of modded gamecubes...my ish eating grin grew and grew. Dis gonna be fun :twisted:

For starters, I got myself a black cube setup on ebay, and ordered myself a badass wasp. Picked up a second console for about a handful of dirt, no cables or controllers. One will be for discs, and one will be the wasp project. Although I have been lurking on the subject for 5 days, I still have a lot that isn't clear to me, but I am going to wait it out until I have my cube on the bench. There is still plenty of time for research, key word being "search". I will try my hardest to stay away from n00b questions, although I will admit...the amount of abbreviations I have seen since the weekend is incredible haha.

Looks like a fun community here with some very bright people! Looking forward to dabbling into all the Nintendo-ing that I have missed since 64 (AND finally finishing Majora's mask!). I guess I will catch up with some of you in the mod section soon! Cheers!
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Re: Fashionably late to the GC party?

Post by emu_kidid » Thu Nov 06, 2014 9:45 pm

Welcome to the forum :)

I'm sure we all prefer the n00b questions instead of pictures of broken GameCubes due to potential misinformation so feel free to ask away in the Hardware / Modding section ;)
megalomaniac

Post by megalomaniac » Fri Nov 07, 2014 12:10 am

welcome to the forum and dont forget to check out the gc-forever wiki pages
emu_kidid wrote: beer is like WD40 for megalomaniac's brain, gets the gears moving
>>> BadAssConsoles.com <<<

Image Image Image
AC_Orange

Post by AC_Orange » Sat Nov 08, 2014 9:01 am

Welcome. Dreamcast was an amazing console, had so much fun with it. Especially Skies of Arcadia, Grandia 2, PSO and how could I forget RE CV
flowmastergfunk

Post by flowmastergfunk » Wed Nov 12, 2014 8:02 pm

Thanks guys! The forum and wiki certainly have a wealth of information. I should have my second cube in the mail today, and my wasp by the weekend. Picked up a 64gb sd card in advance, but it was a real POS from the get go. Going to be looking for better recommendations for a card, as well as format information. Did some reading about the difference between exFAT and FAT32, and wasn't sure how to go about the allocation size or which format is required for the wasp. I decided just to use that chip for my phone, and took my nicer PNY 16gb chip out to use with the Cube for starters.

Just to formulate my thoughts on a list here, I am still hoping to find out:
More about the aforementioned SD card recommendations/requirements
*found* viewtopic.php?f=36&t=1830
More about the SDgecko, it's format requirements and it's usage alongside the wasp (Saw the DIY tutorial. I have an extra memory card and a micro SD adapter to build one)
Whether the GBA adapter can be run with the wasp instead of the boot disk
More about GBA handheld connectivity, and possible gameplay of GBA backup files
More about the emulation of other systems on the GC

I guess a lot of my research still has to do with Swiss, but suppose that should wait until I actually have the hardware portion completed, and I can actually access Swiss ;)

Thus far, my starting hoard includes two black cubes dol-001 and dol-101, one GBA ags-101(eventually looking to swap the screen into the classic GBA), one GBA expansion platform(no disk), and one GBA controller cable, one wavebird, three standard controllers, and 3 memory cards.

This may be TMI for the welcome board, just using this like a post-it note so I can remember for myself. But hey, if I return to look at my post-it note, and somebody scribbled down some hints or answers...sweet :D