New old guy here

Welcome to the GC-Forever forums, feel free to introduce yourself here!
Silent Hunter

New old guy here

Post by Silent Hunter » Fri Feb 06, 2015 8:50 pm

First off, great site.
Second, I'm old. Turning 50 later this year but still enjoy gaming.

Had the 360 and PS3 since launch and picked up an Xbox One. I guess I'm just getting old because the games today just aren't as fun. They are a little to complex for me.

I decided to get a Cube from eBay and it just came in. Picked up a copy of Mario Sunshine and can't believe how much fun it is. I got my son a Cube at launch but we both quickly fell into the Halo 2/online gaming trap and the Cube just began to collect dust so I got rid of it. I can't tell you how much I regret that.

I had the NES and SNES at launch and enjoyed them immensely. Eventually picked up an N64 towards the end of it's life. Great times with my kids and that console. Still have it but haven't hooked it up in years.

After I ordered that Cube I began to read on some sites that it wouldn't work well on newer TV's. I tried it on a 42" Vizio LED and 51" Samsung Plasma 3D and to be honest, the graphics aren't that bad.

The biggest drawback of the Cube is the price of the games (the good ones anyway). They're as much if not more as they were new. I've found only 1 brick & mortar that sells the games (The Exchange) but eBay's prices seem to be the best.

Anyway, I figured I'd sign here up to discuss some of the old games. What I didn't expect to see is what you guys are doing to the console to make it better. I must say I'm intrigued. I have no experience in electronics, soldering or modding so I was hoping there was a Modding Gamecube for Dummies section where I could start from scratch. If anyone has some suggestions I'd love to hear them.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to reading up and taking my console to a new level.
megalomaniac

Re: New old guy here

Post by megalomaniac » Sat Feb 07, 2015 1:33 am

welcome to the forum.
there is not a dummies guide for modding GC that i am aware of, but the options are very limited being either a modchip or SDML.

A lot of info at various websites will be really outdated a bit considering most make references to viper or qoob modchips which have been out of production for a long time now. Wiikey Fusion / WASP Fusion / Wode Jukebox are wii modchips which happen to work with GC but i believe only WASP is currently available and is the common trend these days in regards to modchips. Xeno GC is still around and is a solid modchip but requires a working DVD drive.
SDML is a bootable disc which allows booting homebrew but also like Xeno GC, requires a working DVD drive.

Take a look at the wiki pages for more info on modchips and other subjects.
http://www.gc-forever.com/wiki/
emu_kidid wrote: beer is like WD40 for megalomaniac's brain, gets the gears moving
>>> BadAssConsoles.com <<<

Image Image Image
Silent Hunter

Re: New old guy here

Post by Silent Hunter » Sat Feb 07, 2015 3:22 am

Thanks for the reply but that all pretty much goes over my head. After reading some of the threads here and searching the net I did learn that some of the parts are no longer made.

I came across this post here and was wondering if the parts are still available and how difficult it would be?

viewtopic.php?p=27016#p27016

Essentially, what I think would be great is the SD card in place of the disc drive and the ability to run games from an SD card like the one in that post. I'm not so concerned about the looks as long as it works.

Any info would be appreciated.