Looking to mod my Gamecube

Welcome to the GC-Forever forums, feel free to introduce yourself here!
olloyollo

Looking to mod my Gamecube

Post by olloyollo » Wed Sep 30, 2015 5:45 pm

I've always been interested in taking things apart but I never dared to do it on my own consoles. I recently obtained 2 GC's and wanted to delve into and optimize the shit out of them. However, I've never done anything like this before. So here is my question:

How would I get started down the path to optimizing my GC. From tools to get to chips and cases etc...

PS: I haven't even gotten them open yet so please be as precise as possible.

Thanks for the help!
jlo138

Re: Looking to mod my Gamecube

Post by jlo138 » Wed Sep 30, 2015 8:48 pm

First you need a Nintendo screwdriver bit so you can open them. Or melt the tip of a clear BIC pen and mold it over the screw. Won't work if they're really tight though. In my opinion, the GC is one of the easiest to get started with as far as disassembly etc. Just the top half of the case can run you around $75 U.S for full size discs. Sometimes they're sold here and I see them quite often in eBay. If you look around YouTube you'll see many videos explaining how to take it apart. As for chips, I cant solder for crap so that's for someone else to explain.
.timil retcarahc 552 a si erehT .ekam uoy stsop ot dedda eb nac taht txet fo kcolb a si sihT
capzlk

Re: Looking to mod my Gamecube

Post by capzlk » Wed Sep 30, 2015 10:49 pm

i'm new myself, but if you take a look around on the wiki then you'll be able to fun a fair share of information already, so i'd highly recommend that in case you hadn't yet. Also gamebits are cheap. i got mine for around ~€2 on ebay (with slow as hell shipping), and indispensable. I haven't opened many consoles part from my PSX and PS3, but the cube is definitely one of the easier consoles to open and toy with.