hello! I'd love some help.

Welcome to the GC-Forever forums, feel free to introduce yourself here!
zigaboo

hello! I'd love some help.

Post by zigaboo » Mon May 16, 2016 12:37 am

Hi! I'm George and I live in southern Europe.

Gamecube has been my favorite console since I bought my first one in 2003, which I still have. It literally never got disconnected from my TV.

Lately I stumbled upon a case-modded GC, and got interested into making my own. Needless to say, I've spent hours watching tutorials on paint jobs, jewel modifications, fan replacements. I'm currently waiting on 4 consoles from eBay to test what I have learned, haha.

This is where I need some help; my best friend also loves Gamecube, but he sold his game collection a while ago. I wanna him give one of the consoles I've ordered as a present, but I will need to mod it so that it can play games off of an SD card. I spent some time reading the forums, read about wiikey fusion, but it seems that no one sells that right now. I understand that 2016 might be a little late to do something like this, but what are my options right now?
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Re: hello! I'd love some help.

Post by emu_kidid » Mon May 16, 2016 1:16 am

Welcome!

To playback from SD card, you can either install a Wiikey Fusion/WASP Fusion or you can run backups from an SD card in the memory card port via a simple adapter. To use the simpler adapter you'll need a way to boot Swiss on the console.

Also check these other methods to boot stuff on the Wiki: Playing Backups

If you go with Wiikey/WASP Fusion, you can wait for badassconsoles.com to get some more back in stock, they're probably the best source to buy these from since they come pre flashed with Swiss on there so you avoid some stuffing around trying to get Swiss on there.

If you need more help once you've had a bit of a read, please use the appropriate sub-forum for any specific questions :)
zigaboo

Re: hello! I'd love some help.

Post by zigaboo » Mon May 16, 2016 1:25 am

emu_kidid wrote:Welcome!

To playback from SD card, you can either install a Wiikey Fusion/WASP Fusion or you can run backups from an SD card in the memory card port via a simple adapter. To use the simpler adapter you'll need a way to boot Swiss on the console.

Also check these other methods to boot stuff on the Wiki: Playing Backups

If you go with Wiikey/WASP Fusion, you can wait for badassconsoles.com to get some more back in stock, they're probably the best source to buy these from since they come pre flashed with Swiss on there so you avoid some stuffing around trying to get Swiss on there.

If you need more help once you've had a bit of a read, please use the appropriate sub-forum for any specific questions :)
Thanks for the detailed answer!
I might go with the SD-in-memory-port solution (the only one I found for sale is the one from codejunkies), but as I want it to be a birthday gift, I'd like to put some effort in and go with the Wiikey/WASP solution. Hopefully badassconsoles.com won't take too long to restock these :)