Hi guys

Welcome to the GC-Forever forums, feel free to introduce yourself here!
Ybalrid

Hi guys

Post by Ybalrid » Tue Mar 06, 2018 8:09 pm

Hi guys, Ybalrid here! ;-)

So, let me introduce myself, I'm a student in a french software engineering school, I'm a C/C++ programmer, and I have an old GameCube (childhood birthday present when I was 8 and my first game console that was actually mine) collecting dust. I currently don't have any cables for it (lost). I'm generally interested in 3D rendering code and video game development in general.

I've seen a lot of homebrew development on the Sega DreamCast side, but my childhood system was the GameCube. I recently grabbed the DevKitPPC toolchain, and the example code that draw one simple polygon on the screen works in Dolphin.

I'm probably going to buy whatever I need to launch homebrews on real hardware, and if I have some free time, try to write some code for this adorable little box ;-)
novenary

Re: Hi guys

Post by novenary » Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:40 pm

Hey, welcome!
The GameCube is a fun system to mess with for sure, I hope you'll like it.
Ybalrid

Post by Ybalrid » Wed Mar 07, 2018 2:59 am

Yeah, I specially want to play with the graphics chip. The lib "GX" that handles it on this devkit pro thing: 140 lines of C to get a triangle on the screen, I've seen worse. There's some part of it that aren't obvious when reading it, but they are probably related on how the hardware actually work. Looks like I have some reading to do! :-D
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Post by emu_kidid » Fri Mar 16, 2018 7:48 am

Ybalrid wrote:Yeah, I specially want to play with the graphics chip. The lib "GX" that handles it on this devkit pro thing: 140 lines of C to get a triangle on the screen, I've seen worse. There's some part of it that aren't obvious when reading it, but they are probably related on how the hardware actually work. Looks like I have some reading to do! :-D
Welcome! GX.c is mostly register pokes reversed from the official SDK sadly using some bulk disassembly :(

I've found it's fairly similar to OpenGL if you're working at the higher level.
Ybalrid

Post by Ybalrid » Sat Mar 17, 2018 5:11 pm

emu_kidid wrote:
Ybalrid wrote:Yeah, I specially want to play with the graphics chip. The lib "GX" that handles it on this devkit pro thing: 140 lines of C to get a triangle on the screen, I've seen worse. There's some part of it that aren't obvious when reading it, but they are probably related on how the hardware actually work. Looks like I have some reading to do! :-D
Welcome! GX.c is mostly register pokes reversed from the official SDK sadly using some bulk disassembly :(

I've found it's fairly similar to OpenGL if you're working at the higher level.
It's looking like old-school OpenGL form what I've seen of it so far