So how do people develop on the GameCube?

gtmtnbiker

So how do people develop on the GameCube?

Post by gtmtnbiker » Fri Sep 17, 2010 9:54 pm

So do most people use the USB Gecko to test/debug their gamecube programs? If not, what do people use?

How does the USB Gecko work? I'm looking at: http://wiibrew.org/wiki/USB_Gecko and see that the schematics to build one has been released. Do you need some sort of boot disc for the GC/Wii to run code?
epoch

Re: So how do people develop on the GameCube?

Post by epoch » Sat Sep 18, 2010 5:12 am

USBGecko can be used to debug programs that have been built with support for it (if you're developing something).
you can use it as a debugger interface (with printf going over the gecko), and with proper stubs, can you even debug live and inspect your code with breakpoints and such (i believe, i never used it that way myself).

BUT you will need some sort of loader like GeckoOS on the cube already loaded before you can use USBGecko (either through a DVD, or some other hack such as PSO, AR codes, modchip network loader, DVD loader, others).

Ultimatly, the USB gecko is awesome as a debugging tool, which it's not necessary (it's really helpful!)

sorry for not really answering you question directly, but i hope it gives you the right info to make an educated decision to build/purchase the USB gecko...
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Post by emu_kidid » Sat Sep 18, 2010 5:19 am

I use a USBGecko to send my code over and execute it. I can also use it to debug via GDB (live) in programs I write. If I didn't have it though, it's not such a big deal, I could still debug over the BBA and upload my code through wifi (for wii).

Afaik, the schematics released are good, but the VHDL was updated/buggy/not final or something.. might help to speak to bushing (from hackmii.org) about it, he'd know more. but only if you're really interested in making them. (I don't think there's much point now).
Nukee

Post by Nukee » Mon Sep 27, 2010 9:27 am

SD Media Launcher is a nice cheap / Clean solution. But if you want fast dev cycles then custom mod bios with custom loader is the way to go.

Gamecube dev ftw.
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Post by emu_kidid » Mon Sep 27, 2010 1:35 pm

nice to see you Nukee :D