Internal Gamecube Controller Adapter for PC

Ozonite

Internal Gamecube Controller Adapter for PC

Post by Ozonite » Sat Sep 26, 2015 1:16 pm

It appears that you can use the Wii U Gamecube Controller Adapter on the PC for Dolphin. I love the Gamecube myself and will never throw it away, but to be perfectly honest some games just run flawlessly and look very beautiful on Dolphin with 4x Native that I can't resist not having both available.

It does not look good hanging down from my desktop and it rattles back and forth when we move our controllers which is really annoying and may scratch up my case which I'd like to avoid. Here's the idea I got. My first idea was to make a gamecube controller adapter modded into an expansion bay so that I could plug the controllers directly into my computer. However I haven't been able to find a good base to use as the expansion bay so I may just build on the front cover and make it a bit more basic since it's not visible from the side window anyways in my case.

Current (can do right now) plan:
- Open gamecube adapter
- Drill holes in front cover of expansion bay to fit gamecube adapter
- Extend USB cord and take it out the back of my desktop and into the mobo USB ports
- Make sweet sweet love to my newfound love for a bigger better computer with "native" gamecube support

likely end result.png
IGCA - likely result
(7.4 KiB) Not downloaded yet

I have some other idea's I'd like to try out, but I am not sure what/how to do everything although I am not done researching, but I'll update the thread along with my thoughts and plans. And of course pictures of the beauty.

As mentioned, I would prefer to make a standalone 5.25" Expansion Bay insert that "just works" so anyone can borrow and use it without being put off by its barebone insides and lack of isolation. If anyone have any good plastic expansion bay drawers (flat front) they know that aren't of horrible quality I would love to hear it and see what I can do with it. The ones I've found just haven't cut it for me..

Scrapped idea, thanks Streetwalker for the idea about using internal front panel usb mobo pins and sparking an idea to use both my usb panel and the controller adapter!
Spoiler
Show
I would also very much like to see if I can use Molex and Sata instead of USB as for starters it takes two usb slots, and not everyone has holes in the back of the computer where they can take cables out which I really want to avoid alltogether.. I am not sure if this is possible yet, nor how I would go about doing this. It doesn't need to be easy, but I can't really program so if any (more than basic) programming would be involved I doubt I'd pull it off without paying some freelancer. Suggestions/tips are welcome, but I'll continue researching this area as it's the biggest struggle of my wanted design.

hopeful best result.png
IGCA - hope to achieve
(11.7 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Nevermind, thanks tueidj for the quick reply!
Spoiler
Show
As a side question, I've read that some optical drives can read gamecube and wii discs, but there have been issues running games from disc on dolphin. Anyone know some stuff in this field? I thought it'd be cool to put in an original GC disc and play it on my computer with original controllers plugged right into the front with everything looking like it's made by Nintendo themselves (or better)! I'd probably buy one anyways as I don't have any optical drives (when did I ever need one?) and it's nice being able to rip games with ease on my computer instead of using the wii (which I no longer have a remote for)...

Edit 1: Added some really hot ms paint work which took ages to draw, should be a quick indicator of what I am planning to make. I'll add that I may or may give it a fancy design with leds on controller ports, but it depends how pretty I can get it (I've seen some pretty ones here before, but I don't remember where nor do I remember ever seeing where the leds are placed for best results. No IRL pictures yet as I don't work where I live, I'm not home for a few days.

Edit 2: Spoilered answered question, thanks!

Edit 3: molex/sata scrapped, not feasible. Internal mobo front panel usb pins sounds much better!

Edit 4: Received a triwing screwdriver in the mail today so I went a head and started as soon as possible working on this mini project.

Mind you there is some borderline project gore here. If you don't like uneven cuts or hotglue I recommend you shut down your browser and go out for some fresh air to cool off. Another fair warning, images are huge. Okay last warning, my computer's front is SUPER dusty. I'll fix it... tomorrow. . .

Cuts have been marked. Zero measurements and took 10 seconds flat.
Spoiler
Show
Cuts performed. This is before I cleaned them up a bit so don't throw up yet. You can probably tell this is my first time using a dremel.
Spoiler
Show
Super dusty computer and IGCA mounted.
Spoiler
Show
Hotglue gore, it fits and sits so dont worry :)
Spoiler
Show
CHILLING! Also have 3 matching smash controllers.
Spoiler
Show

Next up possibly fix my bad cuts and add orange LEDs to match the case. I've also ordered some parts as currently the USB is going straight through my case and into the back of my mobo. Come on postal services, hurry! :D
Last edited by Ozonite on Wed Nov 11, 2015 8:15 pm, edited 5 times in total.
tueidj

Re: Internal Gamecube Controller Adapter for PC

Post by tueidj » Sat Sep 26, 2015 1:40 pm

Even with a PC drive that can read the discs, you can't play directly from them because the read speed is extremely slow (not to mention error-prone).
Ozonite

Post by Ozonite » Sat Sep 26, 2015 1:56 pm

tueidj wrote:Even with a PC drive that can read the discs, you can't play directly from them because the read speed is extremely slow (not to mention error-prone).
I had heard it was error prone some year ago, too bad it still is. Is the read speed so bad by the way? You'd think it would work when the Gamecube also has a disc drive... Oh well, play from disc idea scrapped. Thanks by the way!
novenary

Post by novenary » Sat Sep 26, 2015 3:05 pm

The GameCube uses a modified DVD spec which is only readable using hacks, and even then it isn't possible to read them full speed without an actual GC or Wii DVD drive.
For USB, you should have headers on your mobo for front panel USB. Cut the plug off the cord and add pin connectors instead, sata won't work in any way and you don't need molex to power it. Oh, and you don't need two USB connectors for that on a PC.
Ozonite

Post by Ozonite » Sat Sep 26, 2015 3:17 pm

Streetwalker wrote:The GameCube uses a modified DVD spec which is only readable using hacks, and even then it isn't possible to read them full speed without an actual GC or Wii DVD drive.
For USB, you should have headers on your mobo for front panel USB. Cut the plug off the cord and add pin connectors instead, sata won't work in any way and you don't need molex to power it. Oh, and you don't need two USB connectors for that on a PC.
Yeah I figured using sata would be a dead end project as they aren't really close to similar at all (molex was just for internal power plug, everyone has a molex connector unused IME), I've been reading up on sata and various projects using sata to see if there would be any way, but so far the results have been far from promising (even with mumbojumbo magical methods, it just doesn't seem feasible at all to use sata for controller data).
I don't need two USB's? Great! Although using the mobo usb pins and connecting to the inside was a great idea I really want to keep it as much plug and play as possible and I already have used the front usb pins and I don't want to disconnect my current usb front panel. Which just sparked an idea, thanks! I could always add both with some magic and a homemade adapter. I'll see what I feel like doing when I get home.

Thanks for more clarification on why the DVD's wont work also.
gudenau

Post by gudenau » Sun Sep 27, 2015 3:34 am

Someone could make a Wii disk drive adapter for PC. The SATA thing can not work, it is for mass storage. You could hook the power only plug up to a SATA/Molex power adapter though, save a USB port.
Ozonite

Post by Ozonite » Sun Sep 27, 2015 5:01 am

gudenau wrote:Someone could make a Wii disk drive adapter for PC. The SATA thing can not work, it is for mass storage. You could hook the power only plug up to a SATA/Molex power adapter though, save a USB port.
Well aware what SATA is for, which would be were "magic" would've come to play. But it's as expected not really feasible to do. As Streetwalker mentioned I will only need one USB for PC anyways. I would gladly entertain the thought of connecting the wii disc drive, but I don't know where to begin yet.

As for now I am looking into making an adapter for a "usb hub" (not really) on the mobo pins for front panel, it should work just fine except I'll need to order more parts before I can begin. Need to be able to assign an address to the gc adapter which should be a simple task.
gudenau

Post by gudenau » Tue Sep 29, 2015 3:13 am

Ozonite wrote:
gudenau wrote:Someone could make a Wii disk drive adapter for PC. The SATA thing can not work, it is for mass storage. You could hook the power only plug up to a SATA/Molex power adapter though, save a USB port.
Well aware what SATA is for, which would be were "magic" would've come to play. But it's as expected not really feasible to do. As Streetwalker mentioned I will only need one USB for PC anyways. I would gladly entertain the thought of connecting the wii disc drive, but I don't know where to begin yet.

As for now I am looking into making an adapter for a "usb hub" (not really) on the mobo pins for front panel, it should work just fine except I'll need to order more parts before I can begin. Need to be able to assign an address to the gc adapter which should be a simple task.
Before you make anything, check this.
Ozonite

Post by Ozonite » Wed Nov 11, 2015 8:13 pm

Received a triwing screwdriver in the mail today so I went a head and started as soon as possible working on this mini project.

Mind you there is some borderline project gore here. If you don't like uneven cuts or hotglue I recommend you shut down your browser and go out for some fresh air to cool off. Another fair warning, images are huge. Okay last warning, my computer's front is SUPER dusty. I'll fix it... tomorrow. . .

Cuts have been marked. Zero measurements and took 10 seconds flat.
Spoiler
Show
Cuts performed. This is before I cleaned them up a bit so don't throw up yet. You can probably tell this is my first time using a dremel.
Spoiler
Show
Super dusty computer and IGCA mounted.
Spoiler
Show
Hotglue gore, it fits and sits so dont worry :)
Spoiler
Show
CHILLING! Also have 3 matching smash controllers.
Spoiler
Show

Next up possibly fix my bad cuts and add orange LEDs to match the case. I've also ordered some parts as currently the USB is going straight through my case and into the back of my mobo. Come on postal services, hurry! :D
Attachments
IMG_20151111_202703.jpg
(3.46 MiB) Not downloaded yet
IMG_20151111_185349.jpg
(2.35 MiB) Not downloaded yet
IMG_20151111_183807.jpg
(4.52 MiB) Not downloaded yet
IMG_20151111_182859.jpg
(2.51 MiB) Not downloaded yet
IMG_20151111_164641.jpg
(2.25 MiB) Not downloaded yet
deckard