An idea I had about merging the USBGeckoSE and IDE/EXI Adapter as they are both CPLD's.

stgiga

An idea I had about merging the USBGeckoSE and IDE/EXI Adapter as they are both CPLD's.

Post by stgiga » Fri Oct 23, 2015 8:26 pm

Hello, stgiga here, and I have been following along with the GC scene for months, (I first became acquainted with GC-Forever through Ralf's codes for Pokemon), but I do wish to say that after I examined the specs for the IDE/EXI and the USB Gecko SE, and found out that they were both CPLD's, I came up with the idea to merge them onto one board. (Pins 3, 1, and 12 should be connected properly, with a drive activity light plus resistor on EXI pins 7 and 10 on the EXI side like on the SD Gecko, with another Drive light/resistor setup on IDE pins 39 and 1 like on the IDE/EXI, with a flash chip like the one from the original/pre-release USBGecko to top it all off. (All of those features were cut from some of the mass-produced versions of the IDE/EXI's, USB Gecko's, and SD Gecko's to save costs, but are needed IMHO for debugging IIRC.)

I do not know if it will work, and I do not know about how the two would not conflict, but I hope that you could take this idea into consideration, and then possibly refine it, and possibly put it into Swiss. :)

Please do not flame me, as I am new, and I would like to know about the nitty gritty details to see if my idea works.
tueidj

Re: An idea I had about merging the USBGeckoSE and IDE/EXI Adapter as they are both CPLD's.

Post by tueidj » Sat Oct 24, 2015 12:35 am

Virtually nobody used the flash chip, that's why it was removed. It would have been more useful if the protocol allowed reading/writing more than one byte at a time, which wasted a huge amount of erase cycles...