Create .GCM larger than 1.3GB?

Paul.str

Create .GCM larger than 1.3GB?

Post by Paul.str » Tue Jan 04, 2011 4:06 am

Hello,
I was wondering if there was a tool that would rebuild GCM files that are larger than a standard game?

I have been playing with textures and my latest experiment has run me a little over the limit. However, I use a Wii, so I have the entire 4.7GB of space.

Does the gamecube not recognize files that are too large? Is there some way to get around this limit?

Thanks.
JPnintendo

Re: Create .GCM larger than 1.3GB?

Post by JPnintendo » Tue Jan 04, 2011 4:25 am

If you play on a wii you wont have any problem. But the GC can only read 1,4Gb on a disc. If you put a DVD5 on the GC drive (without the case) it will only read from "0" to "1,4Gb" if your GCM is "larger" you will have problmes, but all this trouble is only in the GC, on wii dont worry
kevstah2004

Post by kevstah2004 » Tue Jan 04, 2011 4:33 am

Try ISO Creation Wizard http://www.gc-forever.com/forums/downlo ... .php?id=56
Should be no problem loading it with a backup launcher or emulator.
Last edited by kevstah2004 on Tue Jan 04, 2011 4:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Paul.str

Post by Paul.str » Tue Jan 04, 2011 4:35 am

Thanks, but my problem is this:
I can't find an application that will build a .gcm larger than 1.4GB.
I have an extracted GCM. I modified some of the files. When I try to build/recompress etc to a GCM, I can't.
I tried using GCR, but it told me that it would not build it, due to the fact that my files equal about 2GBs.
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Post by emu_kidid » Tue Jan 04, 2011 4:37 am

Should be good to go, the code in games doesn't check for an end offset, but you will want to keep it less than 4GB.
Paul.str

Post by Paul.str » Tue Jan 04, 2011 4:37 am

Is there some way for me to burn the files straight to a disc without first converting to a GCM?

EDIT:
Nevermind. I'm going to have to give up for tonight. It's almost midnight and I need a break.

Thanks for the help. I will try all of your suggestions tomorrow.
kevstah2004

Post by kevstah2004 » Tue Jan 04, 2011 4:43 am

Have you tried the above app? GC Bootable disc (creator) GUI 0.1.2 RC3 is crap
the GCM's it makes aren't real ones it's mfe-distro bootable disc linux type go compare it against a real game GCM in IsoBuster you'll see GCR created GCM's have a extra filesystem.

Running a extracted game from a folder of files? no don't that's possible there's no mounted filesystem faker as far as i'm aware. Running the extracted boot dol probably woudn't work as it'd still be looking for the game files off the dvd drive.
DSman59

Post by DSman59 » Fri Jan 07, 2011 3:54 pm

I think the biggest problem is that games which have been built from files in a folder with those GC ISO creators usually just hang at start-up because I think, for example, GC ISO Creator doesn't build a proper image file. I have only managed to build a custom version of ATV Quad Power Racing 2 with a modified soundtrack. The GCM worked in SD-BOOT, but Dolphin rejected it.
Could this problem be solved if GC-Tool could replace files with larger ones?
Paul.str

Post by Paul.str » Fri Jan 07, 2011 7:43 pm

I built the file with all my changes. DSman is right, Dolphin says it is not a valid GC ISO.
I am going to burn it to a DVD and test it on the Wii anyway. Dolphin has some serious issues that make it a poor testing environment. (no multi-dol support, etc.)
Paul.str

Post by Paul.str » Fri Jan 07, 2011 9:20 pm

Burnt the game and it won't boot on the wii.
The wii doesn't even recognise the disc.
Any other ideas?
kevstah2004

Post by kevstah2004 » Fri Jan 07, 2011 11:59 pm

Use ISO Creation Wizard instead, I already told you that other apps add a extra El Torito type filesystem this is only used for homebrew app's and gc linux not retail games which is why dolphin and possibly the Wii is spitting it out as unvalid.
Paul.str

Post by Paul.str » Sat Jan 08, 2011 3:12 am

I did use the program that you posted. That is the only program I have tried.

The program wasn't recognising my AppLoader file. I had to manually tell it to use apploader.ldr; it wouldn't recognise it in the file selection dialog box.
Was that my problem?
kevstah2004

Post by kevstah2004 » Sun Jan 09, 2011 1:09 am

Not your fault as it doesn't recognise the .ldr file extension so you have set it manually along with the start.dol / boot.dol shouldn't be a problem though but make your the &&SystemData folder that contains those files isn't in the same folder that contains the game files and opening.bnr aka the root / "base dictionary" delete the Game.toc file out the &&SystemData as well.
If you have a unmodified gcm dump of the game your modifying you won't need to set the header details as it'll take them from the unmodified gcm.
I'd also try unticking the "Maximise ISO files size" option as it maybe automatically be setting a 1.3GB file size limitation on the outputted ISO/GCM it's only used to pad the outputted GCM/ISO to 1.3GB with dummy data which in your case isn't needed.
Paul.str

Post by Paul.str » Sun Jan 09, 2011 3:47 am

Thanks for the help. I'll give it a go.

It really wasn't a big project. I was just putting the full version of The Wind Waker into the Collectors edition.
I even removed the "20 Minute playable demo" cloud that appears.(!!)
It would have looked completely legit.

I had fun doing it. It was quite a challenge to find the right converters to modify the RARC file that contans the menu. It was an even bigger task converting BTI->DDS->TGA->BTI. (I could modify the DDS files, but I only had a TGA to BTI converter.

It might never work. I'm not really worried about it. I own real copies of both the Collectors edition and TWW. It was just for amusement that I was modifying the copy.