How do GC Developers develop?

gtmtnbiker

How do GC Developers develop?

Post by gtmtnbiker » Fri Apr 16, 2010 4:47 pm

I'm curious to know how GC homebrew developers do development for the cube. I'm a software developer and I've been dabbling in PSP development in my spare time which is not a lot.

Are there some good websites that give you some info on how to get started (e.g, download toolchain, explain tools, etc)?

What do most developers use? SD Media Launcher?

How do you debug your programs? printf statements? Is there a debugger that can be used over the serial port?
Cubelover

Re: How do GC Developers develop?

Post by Cubelover » Fri Apr 16, 2010 6:39 pm

Look for devkitPPC + libOGC. I think developing gc homebrew with them is possible.
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Re: How do GC Developers develop?

Post by emu_kidid » Sat Apr 17, 2010 1:42 am

You will need to go to www.devkitpro.org and download the installer.

Install devkitPPC and libOGC as well as libFAT, these should be enough to get you started as well as the examples provided.

I use a Qoob Pro modchip with a usbGecko and a code loader I've written but no one else probably does it this way.. Currently if you're new, the fastest way would be to either get a XenoGC and make a bootable SDLoad disc (you'll need a SDGecko too), get a USBGecko and use their DOL Loader (again on a bootable disc), or SD Media Launcher if all else fails and you don't want to modify your GC.

If you have a BroadBand Adapter for your Gamecube or a USBGecko you may debug using powerpc-eabi-gdb, which will allow you to even step through your code as well as set breakpoints too (no watchpoints unfortunately!), or you can even printf over a usbGecko or simply printf to the screen if that's what it comes to.

If you need any more help, let me know!